ECT "With" and "By"

turbosixx

You can't show anywhere that the Spirit baptized those at Pentecost into the Body of Christ.

No the Spirit didn't baptize, the apostles did. They received the Holy Spirit. What were they added to if not Christ?

Also, the Spirit did not add those of Acts 2, 3, 4, 5... to the church (the church of God) such as should be saved, but the Lord. Things that are different are not the same and are not meant for you to muddy by trying to make them the same.

Isn't this the church Jesus died for?
Acts 5:11 And great fear came over the whole church, and over all who heard of these things.

They were being saved.
Acts 2:47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord was adding to their number day by day those who were being saved.

There is only one way to be saved and that is in Christ.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Paul didn't baptize people in water?
Acts 18:8 Crispus, the leader of the synagogue, believed in the Lord with all his household, and many of the Corinthians when they heard were believing and being baptized.

yes, but he emphasized the spirit, not the water

turbosixx

symbolic. folks could relate to it -

If it's merely symbolic then why did Paul baptize these people who had performed the "symbolic" baptism again?

Acts 19:3 So Paul asked, “Then what baptism did you receive?”
John’s baptism,” they replied. 4 Paul said, “John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus.” 5 On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

If Paul understood that there is one baptism and it's not water, then why would he baptize a single person? On what authority?

Last edited:

heir

TOL Subscriber
No the Spirit didn't baptize, the apostles did.
Correct. Those at Pentecost were not baptized by one Spirit into one Body!
They received the Holy Spirit.
The Lord Jesus Christ was the baptizer as I showed you!
What were they added to if not Christ?
Acts 2:47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

Isn't this the church Jesus died for?
Acts 5:11 And great fear came over the whole church, and over all who heard of these things.
Christ died for more than one church! And there is definitely more than one church in the Bible!
They were being saved.
Acts 2:47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord was adding to their number day by day those who were being saved.
It says "such as should be saved". Those in Matthew, Mark, Luke and John and Acts 2,3,4,5 had much more to do than believe something to be saved!

Repent, and believe the gospel (Mark 1:4 KJV) by baptism of repentance for the remission of sins (Mark 1:4 KJV, Mark 16:16 KJV, Acts 2:38 KJV), keep the commandments (John 14:15 KJV, Matthew 23:2-3 KJV, John 15:5-10 KJV), endure to the end to be saved (Matthew 10:22 KJV), go through the trial of their faith (1 Peter 1:7 KJV), receiving the end of their faith, even the salvation of their souls (1 Peter 1:9 KJV). That salvation is of the grace that "should" come unto them (Acts 15:11 KJV, 1 Peter 1:10 KJV). They look forward that their sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord (which is at what many refer to as the second coming of the Lord (Acts 3:19-21 KJV).

There is only one way to be saved and that is in Christ.
For us, the gospel of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV) is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth (Romans 1:16-17 KJV). We are partakers of Christ by the gospel (Ephesians 3:6 KJV), but not so for them (Hebrews 3:14 KJV).

You seem to have a problem of wanting to mix everything up including baptisms and it's only confusing you.

glorydaz

Correct. Those at Pentecost were not baptized by one Spirit into one Body! The Lord Jesus Christ was the baptizer as I showed you! Acts 2:47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

Christ died for more than one church! And there is definitely more than one church in the Bible!
It says "such as should be saved". Those in Matthew, Mark, Luke and John and Acts 2,3,4,5 had much more to do than believe something to be saved!

Repent, and believe the gospel (Mark 1:4 KJV) by baptism of repentance for the remission of sins (Mark 1:4 KJV, Mark 16:16 KJV, Acts 2:38 KJV), keep the commandments (John 14:15 KJV, Matthew 23:2-3 KJV, John 15:5-10 KJV), endure to the end to be saved (Matthew 10:22 KJV), go through the trial of their faith (1 Peter 1:7 KJV), receiving the end of their faith, even the salvation of their souls (1 Peter 1:9 KJV). That salvation is of the grace that "should" come unto them (Acts 15:11 KJV, 1 Peter 1:10 KJV). They look forward that their sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord (which is at what many refer to as the second coming of the Lord (Acts 3:19-21 KJV).

For us, the gospel of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV) is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth (Romans 1:16-17 KJV). We are partakers of Christ by the gospel (Ephesians 3:6 KJV), but not so for them (Hebrews 3:14 KJV).

You seem to have a problem of wanting to mix everything up including baptisms and it's only confusing you.

Awesome post, Heir. :thumb:

turbosixx

How can there be more than one church that Jesus died for? There is one body and the body is the church.
Col. 1:18 He is also head of the body, the church;

turbosixx

Things that are different are not the same

I think this is where we disagree. There are many things that are referred to differently but are the same thing. For example, Jesus is referred to as the son of man and the son of God. Same for the gospel, it’s referred to as the word and also grace.
Rom. 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
Titus 2:11 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, 12 instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age,
1 Thes. 3:1 Finally, brethren, pray for us that the word of the Lord will spread rapidly and be glorified, just as it did also with you;

Same goes for the body and the church, they are one and the same and there is only one.

What is this, is it something different than the body and the church?
Col. 1:13 For He rescued us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son,

Last edited:

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Mat 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Men on earth baptize in water,

Jesus baptizes with the Spirit from Heaven.

Act 8:4 Therefore they that were scattered abroad went every where preaching the word.
Act 8:5 Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them.
Act 8:6 And the people with one accord gave heed unto those things which Philip spake, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did.
Act 8:7 For unclean spirits, crying with loud voice, came out of many that were possessed with them: and many taken with palsies, and that were lame, were healed.
Act 8:8 And there was great joy in that city.

Act 8:12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.

Act 8:14 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:
Act 8:15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:
Act 8:16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
Act 8:17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.

LA

Last edited:

heir

TOL Subscriber
Rom. 6:5 For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection,

I can easily see how water baptism is like a death, burial
and resurrection but I can't see how being spiritually baptized is. Could you please explain how it is?
I don't recall any water surrounding the Lord's dying or His grave! As to our being baptized into His death, it is best explained by Paul.

Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Colossians 2:10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

Colossians 2:11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:

Colossians 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

Colossians 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

themuzicman

You Can’t Get By With This

By Pastor Ricky Kurth,
Berean Searchlight,
September, 2011, p. 4.​

One of Pastor Stam’s favorite jokes went something like this:

Teacher: “Johnny, what’s the difference between a pronoun and a preposition?”
Johnny: “Yeah, that’s what I say, what’s the difference!”

Despite Johnny’s indifference, we know there is a great deal of difference between pronouns and prepositions! These parts of speech are important, especially when it comes to Bible study. For instance, Pastor Stam once wrote:

“Not once does Paul in his epistles teach that members of the Body of Christ are baptized with or in the Spirit.”

In response to this, we sometimes get letters asking about this verse:

“For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body…” (I Cor. 12:13).

But a close look will reveal an important difference in the preposition used in each case. The Apostle Paul taught that believers today are baptized “by” the Spirit, but Pastor Stam doesn’t say we’re not baptized by the Spirit, he says we are not baptized “with” the Spirit. No contradiction here!

Speaking of Christ, John the Baptist predicted:

“He shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost” (Matt. 3:11).

This prophecy was fulfilled at Pentecost, where “they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues” (Acts 2:4). It is important to notice that Christ is the Baptizer here, and that He baptized people with the Spirit. This is often confused with I Corinthians 12:13, but in this passage the Spirit is the Baptizer, baptizing people into the Body. That’s quite different than what happened at Pentecost, where the Lord was the Baptizer, baptizing people with the Spirit, enabling them to speak in tongues.

This explains why believers today are not able to speak in languages they never studied, as they did at Pentecost, for we do not have their baptism. But if we do not have their baptism, we must also conclude that at Pentecost they did not have our baptism. That is, we are not baptized by Christ with the Spirit, and they were not baptized by the Spirit into the Body of Christ.

We realize this runs contrary to the common teaching that the Church began at Pentecost, where it is said that believers were first baptized into the Body, but we believe the difference in prepositions used in these passages is just one of many evidences that the Body of Christ began later, with the raising up of Paul.

You just can’t get by with mixing with and by!

You would need to study these in Greek, not English to get an accurate reading.

And Greek prepositions are somewhat more fluid than English ones.

heir

TOL Subscriber
How can there be more than one church that Jesus died for? There is one body and the body is the church.
Col. 1:18 He is also head of the body, the church;
Christ told Peter:

Matthew 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

He's not speaking of the church that Stephen mentioned:

Acts 7:37 This is that Moses, which said unto the children of Israel, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear.

Acts 7:38 This is he, that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us:

The church of God is the "My church" of Matthew 16:18 KJV which God had purchased with His own blood

Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

There is another church purchased ("purchased possession")! It is the church, which is His body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

Ephesians 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Ephesians 1:14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Ephesians 1:15 Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,

Ephesians 1:16 Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;

Ephesians 1:17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

Ephesians 1:18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,

Ephesians 1:19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

Ephesians 1:20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,

Ephesians 1:21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:

Ephesians 1:22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,

Ephesians 1:23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

heir

TOL Subscriber
I think this is where we disagree. There are many things that are referred to differently but are the same thing. For example, Jesus is referred to as the son of man and the son of God. Same for the gospel, it’s referred to as the word and also grace.
You are making a HUGE blunder just as the religious, denominational system does when you say that different gospels are the same, different churches are the same. You even mix up baptisms. It is easily shown that they differ and how many times will it need to be demonstrated to you for you to believe? There is more than one gospel in the Bible, more than one church in the Bible, more than one way God demonstrates grace in the Bible, and most certainly more than one baptism in the Bible. And since we are commanded to 2 Timothy 2:15 KJV, it's on you to determine from the context which gospel, church or baptism is in view. Don't be as the religious! Approve things that are excellent (which is approving things that differ) because when you don't, you're an offence (Philippians 1:9-10 KJV)!

glorydaz

You are making a HUGE blunder just as the religious, denominational system does when you say that different gospels are the same, different churches are the same. You even mix up baptisms. It is easily shown that they differ and how many times will it need to be demonstrated to you for you to believe? There is more than one gospel in the Bible, more than one church in the Bible, more than one way God demonstrates grace in the Bible, and most certainly more than one baptism in the Bible. And since we are commanded to 2 Timothy 2:15 KJV, it's on you to determine from the context which gospel, church or baptism is in view. Don't be as the religious! Approve things that are excellent (which is approving things that differ) because when you don't, you're an offence (Philippians 1:9-10 KJV)!

I'm beginning to think the number is too big to count. :think: