Windows 10

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Got a new laptop with windows 10.

It sucks for youtube videos.

Anyone having trouble and know how to fix it?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Which Internet browser do you use?
It came with Microsoft Edge as the default browser, and has BING as default search engine.

When I try to play something on youtube, the video screen appears as snowy static with this message: appearing on the snowy static screen:

An error occurred. Please try again later. (Playback ID:mj9DkPAYQ4Ouw0uwOFX)

Right Divider

Body part
It came with Microsoft Edge as the default browser, and has BING as default search engine.

When I try to play something on youtube, the video screen appears as snowy static with this message: appearing on the snowy static screen:

An error occurred. Please try again later. (Playback ID:mj9DkPAYQ4Ouw0uwOFX)

That's really strange as tons of people use Windows 10 and YouTube without issues.

I would try using Google Chrome or Firefox just to see if they also have the problem.

Where did you get the computer? I'd try to get help from the seller.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That's really strange as tons of people use Windows 10 and YouTube without issues.

I would try using Google Chrome or Firefox just to see if they also have the problem.

Where did you get the computer? I'd try to get help from the seller.
Bought at WalMart.
Aspire 5 computer.

The odd thing is that when I restart my computer, a few videos will play and then it starts giving the error message on them all.
My computer says everything is up to date, so I don't know what is going on.
When I want to play a video, I have to restart my computer to watch a few before the error message starts again.

Right Divider

Body part
Bought at WalMart.
Aspire 5 computer.

The odd thing is that when I restart my computer, a few videos will play and then it starts giving the error message on them all.
My computer says everything is up to date, so I don't know what is going on.
When I want to play a video, I have to restart my computer to watch a few before the error message starts again.
I think that you should take it back and have them give you a new one.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
@Tambora,

This is a bug in Edge that has been running for a year and a half. No one I know willingly uses Edge, they have all switched to alternative browsers. You should try the latest Firefox:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Or Chrome if your computer has plenty of memory and you can put up with Google.

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/desktop/index.html
Well, it's funny that Microsoft recommends Edge as the best.
Says it's faster and more secure.

Do you have any info on this:
This new computer came with Norton security (a free 30 day trial).
But this new computer came with Windows Defender TURNED OFF.
I was going to turn it on, and got a message saying to uninstall any other security system first, and then turn it on.
My old computer had Windows defender and it seemed to work very well without any other security.

What do you think of Windows Defender.
I'm kinda surprised this computer came with it turned off, and running a trial of Norton instead.

Right Divider

Body part
MS says a lot of things that are not true.

I was going to turn it on, and got a message saying to uninstall any other security system first, and then turn it on.
My old computer had Windows defender and it seemed to work very well without any other security.

I'm kinda surprised this computer came with it turned off, and running a trial of Norton instead.
The manufacturers get a lot of $$$ for bundling a ton of crapware on new computers.

Personally, I'd uninstall Norton and just use Windows Defender. But then again, I'd also use Linux. ;)

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
MS says a lot of things that are not true.

The manufacturers get a lot of $$$ for bundling a ton of crapware on new computers.

Personally, I'd uninstall Norton and just use Windows Defender. But then again, I'd also use Linux. ;)
Thanks,
I'm going to do that just before my free 30 day trial is up.

gcthomas

Windows Defender is quite mediocre, and there are better free options, such as Avira, which stop significantly more malware. It is better than nothing, though you don't need to pay for decent software to do better.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/302...tivirus-is-less-awful-than-it-used-to-be.html

(I agree with RD though on one thing, I use Linux instead on Windows for security reasons, amongst others)

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Is Norton Security worth the money?
I don't mind paying for security, but I want it to be worth it, and not have so much extra stuff that it bogs down performance.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes, drop EDGE, use Google Chrome, Opera, or anything else.

Windows 10 comes with Internet Explorer installed. Try that and see if you get the same issues. That should hint that the issues reside in EDGE.

Uninstalling Norton is a nightmare, best to never even use it as it leaves its hooks all over the Windows registry.

Defender is fine and for extra security Avast Anti-Virus is the way to go. They both work fine together.

I also have Malwarebytes installed to thwart malware attacks much better than Avast's add-on anti-malware product.

AMR

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes, drop EDGE, use Google Chrome, Opera, or anything else.

Windows 10 comes with Internet Explorer installed. Try that and see if you get the same issues. That should hint that the issues reside in EDGE.

Uninstalling Norton is a nightmare, best to never even use it as it leaves its hooks all over the Windows registry.

Defender is fine and for extra security Avast Anti-Virus is the way to go. They both work fine together.

I also have Malwarebytes installed to thwart malware attacks much better than Avast's add-on anti-malware product.

AMR
Norton Security was already activated when I turned on my new computer.
It sends me a message each day saying how much time is left till the 30 day free trial is up.
I'm thinking it might be best to uninstall it before the 30 days is up.

UNLESS ..... Norton is superior to the ones you mention.
I don't mind paying for it if it's superior security.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Norton Security was already activated when I turned on my new computer.
It sends me a message each day saying how much time is left till the 30 day free trial is up.
I'm thinking it might be best to uninstall it before the 30 days is up.

UNLESS ..... Norton is superior to the ones you mention.
I don't mind paying for it if it's superior security.

See: http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php (mouse over the bar charts to see results)

Note the position of Symantec's Norton AV in the results.

AMR