Why would God need a hell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rougueone

God doesn't. Men do. A man who rejects God needs a place to go to be away from the God he hates. I don't know the full answer, we know it exists, Jesus spoke about it, and did not shy from its existence.

God hates no one. Hell is for those who condemned themselves.God cannot coexist with sinners. Heaven is the reward for those who accepted the forgiveness of Christ and their sins are forgiven.

Reactions: Lon

Timotheos

to believe in eternal punishment
you must believe
either
God wants you to suffer eternally
or
God can do nothing about it
and
you cannot believe either one

Exactly right!
Merry Christmas Chrysostom.
If the doctrine of eternal torture is correct then either God wants to torture people alive for all eternity (and if so, such a "god" is unworthy of worship) or He is unable to prevent someone from torturing you for all eternity, which would mean that he isn't God.

You said it better than I did. Either option is unbelievable.
The truth is far better than eternal torture. God gives us the free gift of eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord! Merry Christmas! "Do not be afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of great joy which will be for all the people; for today in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.…"
Gloria in Excelsis!

daqq

:idunno:▲direct quote▲ same as last time.

I didn't add one word "I" meaning you [overtly beyond implied] "Think" [implied, because you were thinking it, not me, not another]. You might have thought the two were additions, but implied, in braces, is proper quotation and 100% accurate and the way quotes are done. I can't imagine "I think" was what set you off. I wonder if even now, you realize this is all about "You" and "I" and that I posted a link to scriptures from "God." :think:

Full post with hacked up statements in quote once again:
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4563358&postcount=155

So you think doing what you do to the words of those you disagree with is the will of the Father and how you show His love through your own actions? Your full statement is quoted above; the same can be done with your statement, but how is it a fair treatment of your own words?

I...implied....you were....accurate...the way quotes are done....I can't imagine...that I posted....scriptures from "God." :think:
▲direct quote▲

Wow, thanks for finally speaking some truth Lon! :)

Yeshua Says: Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgment you judge, you shall be judged: and with what measure you mete out, it shall be measured to you again. And why behold you the speck that is in the eye of your brother, but consider not the beam that is in your own eye? Or how will you say to your brother, Let me pull out the speck out of your eye; and, behold, a beam is in your own eye! You hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of your own eye; and then shall you see clearly to cast out the speck out of the eye of your brother. Therefore all things whatsoever you would that men should do to you, do you likewise even so to them: for this is the Torah and the Prophets. (Matthew 7:1-5, 12).

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[Hell] "It is a man-made concept (often employed as a fear-tactic)...

:yawn: Be afraid or don't be afraid. :idunno: Jesus spoke of hell more than any other person in the bible. Think he knew what he was talking about? :smokie:

Hell—the place of eternal torment described as: everlasting fire (Matt. 25:41), everlasting punishment (Matt. 25:46), outer darkness (Matt. 8:12), everlasting destruction (2 Thess. 1:9), lake of fire (Rev. 19:20). Punishment of, described as: bodily (Matt. 5:29, 30), in the soul (Matt. 10:28), with degrees (Matt. 23:14). Thomas Nelson Publishers. (1996). Nelson’s quick reference topical Bible index (p. 283). Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson Publishers.

Last edited:

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[Heaven] We all make it...

“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it (Mt 7:13–14, emphasis mine).

Jesus loves you (Jn 3:16). Jesus is willing to save you (2 Pe 3:9). Repent (Eze 18:30-32; Ac 17:30). Believe (Mk 9:23).

See:

Is universalism / universal salvation biblical?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
For someone to be tortured endlessly would require the gift of eternal life. God is not that shortsighted. He knows the end from the beginning and has no reason to give the gift of eternal life to a person he would have to punish endlessly.

Why do you believe sinners are given the gift of eternal life when Paul says the opposite?

Lon

I beg to differ. It's a simple enough question for a reason.
Well rats. Here we go:
Who's the more powerful and loving deity:
#1 How would you or I know? We assume a lot as finite and imperfect human beings. I used to think my Mom didn't love me whenever she spanked me (no comparison, but to point out I thought I was right, but was obviously wrong).

A one who can create life, reconcile everything and ultimately lose nothing in the process overall.
#2 I'm not sure that would make Him all-powerful or all-loving.

One who can't.
#3 "Can't?" If He 'can' why must He? Are you giving God morality lessons? Are you quantifying His power? Are you suggesting that God "isn't" love? Scripture makes no qualms about hell or God is love. You 'could' look and find out why that is, or do like others in thread and make up a 'better' god of your own choosing. If there is a God, I must conform to His image. It cannot be the other way around.

#4 The Christmas story is that God sent His Son to seek and save that which is lost. It is the way God chose. This thread is a rejection of Jesus Christ and makes His sacrifice, for them, rejected and unnecessary. If there is no hell, there is no need for Jesus. 1 Corinthians 15:17-19

Mickiel

In Ezk. 18:4 God said all souls are his! This is good news for unbelievers who just don't know God; they are in his loving hands, they are not in the judgmental hands of Christians. The outcome is very good for them because God is a Savior.

daqq

I totally disagree, in fact I think the Great White Throne Judgment will be the greatest day of salvation because of Isaiah 45:23, the Holy Vow of God to save all, and Jesus prophesy stating that if he be killed, he will draw ALL men to him; all men have NEVER been drawn to Christ in this life, so it is a prophesy concerning a time to come in the future; Christianity cannot remove this salvation from humanity; you cannot reduce it, you cannot pervert it, you cannot take this great salvation away.

Yes, all men were drawn to Messiah in that great day of Golgotha. That is likewise the teaching of Paul in the following passage:

2 Corinthians 5:14 YLT
14. for the love of the Christ doth constrain us, having judged thus: that if one for all died, then the whole died,

2 Corinthians 5:14 ASV
14. For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that one died for all, therefore all died;

The good news message of the Gospel is Messiah Yeshua, and the crucifixion of Messiah Yeshua, and the resurrection of Messiah Yeshua. You may not have been walking upon the earth in that great day but, no doubt, you were somewhere upon the earth like a seed in the loins of a distant father of the flesh, and that one died in that great day: for thus we judge, that if one died for all, then surely all died in that great day of atonement at Golgotha; yea, even every living soul that was in the sea died, (Rev 16:3). Welcome to the new world order of the ages. :)

Gurucam

Why would God need a place like this traditional eternal hell? Why would he co-exist with such a place in eternity? Does God need a garbage dump for humans? How and when did the grave become the traditional explination of hell?

The answer is very simple and clear.

Matthews: 7 KJV N.T.
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Matthew: 22 KJV N.T.
14 For many are called, but few are chosen.

Matthew: 7 KJV N.T.
14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Galatians: 4 KJV N.T.
30 Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son (i.e. the child of the flesh): for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman (i.e. the child of God)
24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.

God need a hell to put the very great majority of those called to Christianity. The very great majority of those called to Christianity, all err and are not chosen for His Kingdom of heaven.

Only a few make it to heaven (many are called and few chosen).

Any other idea is simply wish-fill thinking and a corruption of truth.

You will be best served if you abandon your inquire. Accepts things as they are and seek the path to be among the chosen few.

Your inquiry will do you no good. Only foolish people will 'feel sorry for each other' and start a 'that is not fair' discussion and club, so as to seek ways to change the truth, as clearly confirmed in the KJV N.T.

The prophesy is clear: 'children of the flesh' will not inherit earth in the fullness of time when God's kingdom of heaven come fully to the surface of earth . . . they will not inherit the surface of earth together with children of God.

Children of the flesh must go else where. Hell is provided for them. They go to hell.

The above is the plan of the Lord Jesus and God. It is clearly stated in the KJV N.T. Your only choice is to get real. Get to the the approach which can make you one among the chosen few. Your 'bleeding' post will get you absolutely no where.

"STOP" and seek ye first the Kingdom of God within.

"STOP" all this crying and begging and pleading and looking for loop holes.

Is it not fair that those who do not do the will of God, go to hell?

If the very great majority of those called to Christianity are not chosen. It must be that the idea you guys have for doing the will of God and for being saved and chosen is totally wrong. You have to get real.

Obvious the wide spread belief among traditional Christians, that Jesus dies for all is wrong or not the whole things. If it was all a done deal The Lord would not say many are called and few chosen.

In order to be saved and delivered into God's kingdom of heaven and not into hell, requires works. One must do the will of God, who is in heaven.

Last edited:

Mickiel

Jesus death was a benefit for everyone , not for just a particular group of humans; Heb. 10:10, 'By which we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for ALL!" Again this great salvation is all inclusive, no one is left out. Religion is trying to leave people out for any reason they can find; its a negative spirit of reduction.

If Christ died for you, you are saved, you don't have to go through the Christian obstacle course.

Lon

Again, what's the point if the "reprobate" are unable to perceive or be able to understand? Like showing a 'stop sign' in France to a tourist who can't read French...
:nono: Heard the Christmas story? Know about Jesus Christ? As a 7 year old, when I heard what God had done, I KNEW it was a big deal.

I was drawn to the belief that there was a God behind life years ago, but one of the biggest hindrances was "hell" and the myriad conflicting and sickening takes on it, all from folk who thought they had the "truth" on the matter. I'd already repented and the rest of it.
Like in this life, we have a place as believers and unbelievers. In the next, there is a separation, and necessary or it would be just like here, forever. I try to take truths in increments when I have a hang-up. God chose Jesus Christ His Son as the means for redeeming people. The peril must have been real or God wouldn't have chose this specific way.

When someone else suffers you don't feel it yourself Lon, although you can empathize. "Hell" reduces empathy to a husk on the ground oftentimes.
Scripture talks about suffering with those who suffer. I have family I care about, so I don't think lack of empathy is my problem, Arthur. You are correct, I didn't feel my wife's pain while going through cancer treatment, but she is flesh of my flesh.

You don't have to be someone who claims ethical or spiritual perfection to balk at the doctrine of interminable suffering Lon.
I think you do, and you and I aren't. Your empathy is a good thing. Job certainly wrestled with God, but he also loved God. In my Christianity, I don't understand everything of God. I am but a finite creature trying not to redefine the infinite into finite terms. There are a lot of things I don't get, but I do genuinely get John 3:11-21

I'm not unfamiliar with scriptures so there's really no need. People's interpretations of them are a dime a dozen.
:doh: Then there is no point, Arthur. You might as well make up the god you want to believe in. You pretty much just closed off my only reason for entering the conversation with you: to point to the God who exists, rather than one we make up as we go. It does illustrate the difference in thread between gods though.

No, Lon, as a Calvinist you accept that people are either decreed to Heaven or Hell, that's it. You believe in limited atonement and the 'elect' are elected to Heaven and everyone else isn't to be blunt. It doesn't matter a jot what you do. You could sit in the house all day playing on an X box or spend your days preaching on a street corner. Ultimately it's all been decided in advance of us feeble human beings no matter what.
There are different forms of Calvinism, and this one is fatalism of which I do not subscribe. I don't believe God nor we sit back during this life, but both are intricately part of the story played out. I don't believe in fatalism.

Neither "side" can agree on the particulars, so why's that? And that's just on the 'eternal torment' side...
Let's just take the current thread. There are only two sides that matter, the side who are giving scripture, and the side that rejects the scriptures. There isn't much need to fracture the 'scriptures' side. It serves no purpose, rather it is about what scripture says and if one accepts it. This thread is far from even that first step. You have cut that off as well. There is no point after this post for me to continue. It would place me on the "non-scripture" side and I'm not willing to take part of that conversation. Such is merely the collision of opinion that cannot matter. I didn't get to write history, just interpret it. It becomes fiction after that.

"Youthful exuberance"? Let me tell ya, an abhorrence to interminable suffering doesn't begin and end in youth so you're doing the OP somewhat of a disservice there IMO. Rational debate sure.
Yes, when you form a rally with not much deep thought, but reactionary angst, it is a sign of youth. We don't often see senior citizens with picket signs. We tend to think a bit more before congregating.

This particular topic requires scriptural reading and contemplation, when wrestling with the God of the universe. You seem to have cut off that part of concern so there isn't anything left I can continue with in thread or indeed many others.

Zeke

You tell me: if your master is someone's enemy, and you serve that master, doesn't that make you an enemy yourself? Please do tell me you're capable of some thinking a little bit more critical and productive than "really?", or "nuh'uh!".

"Cut and paste", "fanciful rhetoric"? It would be nice to see a more substantial rebuttal than what amounts to a "nuh'uh" with "that's cute, did you think of that all by yourself" from you. Apparently you think I'm just blowing smoke and pretending that I can make a substantial historical case for orthodoxy. Well if think you've really got a grip on the issue then try me. Tell me what you think was going on aside from "just Origen" (your words, not mine) if you know so much about the subject.

Somehow I doubt that you've even read much of early patristic literature in the first place. But hey, I can be wrong. Maybe you've spent just as many hours reading epistles, homilies, creeds, canons, councils, and commentaries.

Pretty easy to discern which side of the issues being debated back then was putting others in prison, persecuting them and destroying their lives and writings 2Cor 3:6, That same worldly spirit is in you're theology which mocks grace and the sanity of the Creator.

A faith that Patronizes the world system, and uses it's ID to survive through, And rightly mimics it's policies and attitude in its theology then and now.

Mickiel

In John 4:34, " My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work." Why did God send Jesus to earth, what work is he talking about? 1 John 4:14, "And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Savior of the World!" That is the work Jesus finished, to save this whole world! When Jesus said " It is finished", he meant the salvation of all. This is again good news for the unbelievers that Christianity is condemning.

Status
Not open for further replies.