ECT Why shouldn't I convert from Evangelical Protestant to Catholic?

Aimiel

Perhaps I am saying that Jesus never promised me or you or anyone else the Keys to the Kingdom.
Perhaps? You mean you don't know? Are you just guessing?

So, you believe that He has regard for Peter that He doesn't have for you or me?

Deuteronomy 10:17
For the Lord your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward:

What was available to the apostles is available today. Thinking Peter was the head of a church is a Catholic thing. Scripture doesn't make him out to be anything more than any other apostle. He gave us much more than the RCC would have you believe. He holds all power in Heaven and earth and told us to ask ANYTHING in His Name and He'd give it to us.

TOL is a privately owned and operated forum, and there is no right to be here. Further, there are no first amendment rights here. Continued membership and posting here is contingent on obeying the forum rules. I doubt this specific case will result in a warning, but I don't speak for the administration of TOL.

Then I'm free to Ignore everything you just said and anything you might say in the future. Cool.

Sure - you are free to ignore the truth. Are you telling me that you just put me on your ignore list for telling you the truth?

I did not and will not put you on my Ignore list because you tell lies and mask them as truth. Seriously, as long as we can argue respectfully, there is no reason for me to ever hold you in the same light as Meshak, not that I'm anyone special to talk to.

journey

I did not and will not put you on my Ignore list because you tell lies and mask them as truth. Seriously, as long as we can argue respectfully, there is no reason for me to ever hold you in the same light as Meshak, not that I'm anyone special to talk to.

You just made matters worse and erased any good you did with your post on my visitor's page. Please disregard the post I left on your visitor's page. I did put you on my ignore list just so that you'll know.

You just made matters worse and erased any good you did with your post on my visitor's page. Please disregard the post I left on your visitor's page. I did put you on my ignore list just so that you'll know.

There is an objective truth, and then there's the "truth" we believe. I was having a bit of fun, nothing more. I'm not sure exactly what I said to send you off to Ignore my posts, but that's your right and I accept it.

This is what I wrote on "journey's" home page: "Please don't read to deeply into what I write. Sometimes I'm just having a light-hearted moment or maybe a stroke. God bless you."

The only thing I can think of is the stroke comment. Well, I've had a stroke (TIA) that I recovered from but I'm now looking at 50% to 90% chance of having a heart attack in the next ten years. But the likelyhood is I'll probably die before that with a multi-lobed cyst on my left kidney bigger than the kidney. If it bursts, I'm in trouble. If it doesn't burst, I'm still in trouble because it could be cancerous. The 4mm x 5mm stones floating around in both kidneys should keep me allert and well medicated as if I pass them. At least this has taken my mind off my epilepsy and psoriatick arthritus. So excuse me for having a light-hearted moment. Go talk to meshak.

Caino

BANNED
Banned
I have been Evangelical Protestant most of my life, even spending some time living in a fulltime religious community.

The more I researched the origin of the bible and the history of my faith, the more I discovered the Catholic Church.

I am taking steps towards joining the Catholic Church and my question is this....'Why shouldn't I?'

I am not asking because I doubt my journey, I am asking because I haven't come across a good enough reason NOT to join.

Each side, for and against may debate, I look forward to reading each side's responses.

So, why shouldn't I convert to the Catholic Church?

Jesus, the 12 and the disciples were all just members of "the kingdom of heaven", a spiritual fellowship comprised of believers in God. Man made institutions came later as well as the many natural problems that come with any attempt to institutionalize the spiritual kingdom.

RichRock

BANNED
Banned
Jesus, the 12 and the disciples were all just members of "the kingdom of heaven", a spiritual fellowship comprised of believers in God. Man made institutions came later as well as the many natural problems that come with any attempt to institutionalize the spiritual kingdom.

Are you saying Jesus was just a member of a club and not the only begotten Son of God?

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Caino, you should not be posting in the ECT. Next time it will not be a warning like this.

RichRock

BANNED
Banned
One of the hardest things for me on this journey is losing all of my protestant friends, some I have known for decades, some I was very close to, some I called my own family.

I had hundreds of friends and many best friends. This week I said goodbye to the last two friends I have left...they just could not accept my choice and instead began to become hostile.

As a protestant, fellowship is a large part of our life. I ate, breathed and talked with these brothers and sisters of mine. To leave it all was enormously upsetting.

I have no family, and now no old friends. I sacrificed my home and set out on this journey to the Church knowing it would demand all. Not only has it indeed demanded all, it has taken more than all. When I had nothing left but my thoughts, it almost took them through doubt. Having gone through homelessnes and been hungry and freezing on many an occassion in the last year I still held on...and on.

But I tell you this, seeking the truth and the true church has brought me closer to Christ and I feel a sense of deep peace and security. I know these little sacrifices of mine are nothing, absolutely nothing. My life is but a wisp of vapour, one half footstep on an eternal walk.

I am grateful the grace of God has kept me and allowed me to start the long journey home.
God bless you.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
One of the hardest things for me on this journey is losing all of my protestant friends, some I have known for decades, some I was very close to, some I called my own family.

I had hundreds of friends and many best friends. This week I said goodbye to the last two friends I have left...they just could not accept my choice and instead began to become hostile.

As a protestant, fellowship is a large part of our life. I ate, breathed and talked with these brothers and sisters of mine. To leave it all was enormously upsetting.

I have no family, and now no old friends. I sacrificed my home and set out on this journey to the Church knowing it would demand all. Not only has it indeed demanded all, it has taken more than all. When I had nothing left but my thoughts, it almost took them through doubt. Having gone through homelessnes and been hungry and freezing on many an occassion in the last year I still held on...and on.

But I tell you this, seeking the truth and the true church has brought me closer to Christ and I feel a sense of deep peace and security. I know these little sacrifices of mine are nothing, absolutely nothing. My life is but a wisp of vapour, one half footstep on an eternal walk.

I am grateful the grace of God has kept me and allowed me to start the long journey home.
God bless you.

good luck
and
may God bless you

thanks for starting this thread

meshak

BANNED
Banned
There is an objective truth, and then there's the "truth" we believe. I was having a bit of fun, nothing more. I'm not sure exactly what I said to send you off to Ignore my posts, but that's your right and I accept it.

This is what I wrote on "journey's" home page: "Please don't read to deeply into what I write. Sometimes I'm just having a light-hearted moment or maybe a stroke. God bless you."

The only thing I can think of is the stroke comment. Well, I've had a stroke (TIA) that I recovered from but I'm now looking at 50% to 90% chance of having a heart attack in the next ten years. But the likelyhood is I'll probably die before that with a multi-lobed cyst on my left kidney bigger than the kidney. If it bursts, I'm in trouble. If it doesn't burst, I'm still in trouble because it could be cancerous. The 4mm x 5mm stones floating around in both kidneys should keep me allert and well medicated as if I pass them. At least this has taken my mind off my epilepsy and psoriatick arthritus. So excuse me for having a light-hearted moment. Go talk to meshak.

wow,

I am so flattered. it seems that you give me so much power over you.

what did I do to you?

csuguy

Protestant is nothing and Catholic is nothing - all that matters is Christ.

1 Cor 1:11-13 My brothers and sisters, some from Chloe’s household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. 12 What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas[a]”; still another, “I follow Christ.”

13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized in the name of Paul?​

Yet it is important to find a church family where you feel you can best serve God and grow in him. God Bless you on your journey.

God's Truth

God bless you.

I tell you, to seek God's Truth is to get Jesus' teachings.

To find God's Truth is to obey what Jesus says.

If you join the Catholic religion, you are not obeying God and will not know His Truth.

God's Truth

When I was searching for God's Truth, I was a Catholic. It was hard to leave. I had much pride in it. The Catholic religion was my family's life. All my ancestors were Catholics.

I got involved with other false denominations after that.

I gave up family and friends for God's Truth.

You, however, have only left one false family for another, as I have done.

Forget about joining a denomination.

Salvation is about a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

Again, get Jesus' teachings and start obeying them.

Keep obeying them.

Never give up, give out, or give in.

Jesus reveals himself to those who get his teachings and obeys them.