ECT Why shouldn't I convert from Evangelical Protestant to Catholic?

Heterodoxical

you have to start there
either it is
or
it is not His Church
everything else depends on that

And that's why I'm not RCC. Well one of the big reasons.

HOWEVER I don't see why that is a necessary point to claim they are His Church. I'm, doubtless, more ecumenical than you on what His Church would be. Don't mean that as a snobbish comment. You just can't be that ecumenical without violating your faith... You'll get a whuppin.

Heterodoxical

Oh no, the church of God existed long before the church of Rome.
It's a semantical argument.

The difference between the two is that the church of God is a spiritual body with Christ as its head and the church of Rome is a physical corporate body with an elected man as its head. The two churches have little in common.

You can't really support that in scripture nor in church History. That's how I was raised, being SBC.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
And that's why I'm not RCC. Well one of the big reasons.

HOWEVER I don't see why that is a necessary point to claim they are His Church. I'm, doubtless, more ecumenical than you on what His Church would be. Don't mean that as a snobbish comment. You just can't be that ecumenical without violating your faith... You'll get a whuppin.

what does bind and loose mean to you?

Heterodoxical

what does bind and loose mean to you?

That's not the issue. It's who he was told could bind and loose that is the issue.

Do we really wanna do this here??? It'll hijack the thread. I sent you a "position statement" on my view to keep it out of here.... that you could or couldn't peruse if you wished.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
we are just showing respect for His mother
and
what she seems to be doing in places like mexico
With what the Catholic church has done to Mary, there is no reason for Jesus any more. You know all those people down in Mexico getting down on their knees and thanking Mary for what she has done, shouldn't they be thanking God since all blessings flow from God?

Heterodoxical

What? What did I say that can't be supported by scripture?

Originally Posted by jamie View Post
The difference between the two is that the church of God is a spiritual body with Christ as its head and the church of Rome is a physical corporate body with an elected man as its head. The two churches have little in common.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Originally Posted by jamie View Post

exactly

the keys and the power to bind and loose must be given to a person

Cruciform

With what the Catholic church has done to Mary, there is no reason for Jesus any more.
Merely a gigantic non sequitur on CM's part, not to mention a blatant Straw Man Fallacy. Sadly, CM simply has absolutely no idea what he's talking about. (Still.)

Heterodoxical

my point exactly
so
we must first resolve this Church on a rock
and
that is why I cannot make your argument

Who was christ talking to at the FIRST of that conversation?

And who in the Church of Rome holds the keys to forgiving sins, to excommunication, etc... is it one person or the clergy in general? :)

Lon

thank you lon for another opportunity to point out that the Church no longer knowingly ordains homosexuals
Counterpoints are fine, I just wanted to give him what he asked for. I think giving him the counterpoints would be more helpful.

On this note: "....the Church no longer knowingly ordains homosexuals...." What the in hell????!!!!???

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Who was christ talking to at the FIRST of that conversation?

And who in the Church of Rome holds the keys to forgiving sins, to excommunication, etc... is it one person or the clergy in general? :)

that is not what bind and loose means

it means to make changes