ECT Why shouldn't I convert from Evangelical Protestant to Catholic?

Heterodoxical

With what the Catholic church has done to Mary, there is no reason for Jesus any more. You know all those people down in Mexico getting down on their knees and thanking Mary for what she has done, shouldn't they be thanking God since all blessings flow from God?

The Mary thing bugs me too, but, all they teach from Mary is that she can intercede to Christ as best I can tell....

And as the Apostles could heal someone if Mary was as Holy as she is, with Christ's grace she could to.

I think the melt down is thinking she can hear the prayers of the saints on Earth. BUT if she can, I can't see the big deal in what they belief.

Seems to me it would be a Romans 14 issue where the two men with different levels of faith were told not to preach at each other over eating meat.

Heterodoxical

Counterpoints are fine, I just wanted to give him what he asked for. I think giving him the counterpoints would be more helpful.

On this note: "....the Church no longer knowingly ordains homosexuals...." What the in hell????!!!!???

If you had a virginal homosexual or a celibate homosexual, they have committed no biblical sin, why could they not be priests?

CAVEAT: Something in the culture of the RCC was attracting a lot of homosexual pedophiles, but pedophilia is a different issue than homosexuality is. So, Rome stopped knowingly accepting homosexuals at all.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Counterpoints are fine, I just wanted to give him what he asked for. I think giving him the counterpoints would be more helpful.

On this note: "....the Church no longer knowingly ordains homosexuals...." What the in hell????!!!!???

just countering your counter

Lon

My local Cathedral ensures those who work with minors or vunerable adults have a CRB (Criminal Records Background Check). This check is conducted not just once, but every 3 years as a minimum.
EVERYONE who is paid in my church gets this check.

They don't break the laws of the land as you say, but in fact are very cautious. I admit the church made mistakes in the past and am not oblivious to this fact. Actions have been taken to ensure openess.
Er, yes they do. You are naive. Go ahead and join, I'm not stopping you. You asked but you seem to have made up your mind.
Why ask?
I looked into all of this in detail, I am satisfied that changes have been made.
▼▼▼
the Church no longer knowingly ordains homosexuals

▲welcome to the organization▲

Eyes wide open or eyes wide shut?

:wave: I'm done with thread.

Lon

:doh: Repeated just in case you missed it:
the Church no longer knowingly ordains homosexuals

Crys, what in hell???

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
:doh: Repeated just in case you missed it:

Crys, what in hell???

If you had a virginal homosexual or a celibate homosexual, they have committed no biblical sin, why could they not be priests?

CAVEAT: Something in the culture of the RCC was attracting a lot of homosexual pedophiles, but pedophilia is a different issue than homosexuality is. So, Rome stopped knowingly accepting homosexuals at all.

heter knows what I am talking about
but
I would certainly say it differently

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
You still made accusations. Don't strawman me boyeeee... I'm not lettin that fly.

Hmmm...I actually thought maybe I shouldn't have written that. Then I realized it could be taken the way I nailed ur butt with so I left it at that.

You need salvation period

Posted from the TOL App!

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
The Mary thing bugs me too, but, all they teach from Mary is that she can intercede to Christ as best I can tell....

And as the Apostles could heal someone if Mary was as Holy as she is, with Christ's grace she could to.

I think the melt down is thinking she can hear the prayers of the saints on Earth. BUT if she can, I can't see the big deal in what they belief.

Seems to me it would be a Romans 14 issue where the two men with different levels of faith were told not to preach at each other over eating meat.
The RCC has heaped may titles and doctrines on Mary that have no support in scripture. I posted this quite a while ago and it remains unchallenged by our Catholic friends. To me, that is a very good reason NOT to submit to a group of leaders willing to stray as far from scriptural foundations as they have.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
get back to the rock
you can't challenge the Church
if
it has the authority
and
it has that authority
if
it is the Church He built on a rock

Heterodoxical

I asked you what bind and loose meant
and
you avoided it

most protestants think bind and loose means to forgive sin
and
I assumed you did as well

I'm sorry, I thought I "saw" where you were going.... I don't avoid anything to evade it. My bad.

Bind and loose, the Greek words mean bring to, bind to, and let go, or push away.

Simplest examples, blessings and excommunication.

Since Matthew 18 is talking to the disciples as a whole, AS WAS MATTHEW 16, the binding and loosing went to all in the church appointed peoples with gifts, not Peter.

Heterodoxical

get back to the rock
you can't challenge the Church
if
it has the authority
and
it has that authority
if
it is the Church He built on a rock

It only has the Authority if it maintained what it was taught and didn't stray.

Eastern Orthodox, Ethiopian, Anglican, and a nearly handful of others trace their apostolic authority back to the same time as Rome does.

Rome is merely the only one screaming loudest about it. That doesn't make them right, nor their claim any better than the others' claims. Sorry. ANd this is just conversation right? We know we disagree, we are just investigating our disbelief, yes????

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I'm sorry, I thought I "saw" where you were going.... I don't avoid anything to evade it. My bad.

Bind and loose, the Greek words mean bring to, bind to, and let go, or push away.

Simplest examples, blessings and excommunication.

Since Matthew 18 is talking to the disciples as a whole, AS WAS MATTHEW 16, the binding and loosing went to all in the church appointed peoples with gifts, not Peter.

bind means restrict as in law
so
peter was given the power to actually change the law

like okay you can eat pork now

Heterodoxical

The Church leaders, in the case of Matthews story, the apostles AND DISCIPLES were given the keys.

The ROCK the Church was built upon was the answer to the question Jesus asked them ALL, not Peter.

Which is the establishment of the church more dependent upon, Christ being the living son of God, or Peter having a new nick name?

I'm betting it could survive without Peter, but without the Christ, the church doesn't exist.

Which is the rock of the church, chrys?