ECT Why shouldn't I convert from Evangelical Protestant to Catholic?

God's Truth

True. They notice the idols, and ask why someone who says they believe in God would have idols in their church. They know there is something wrong as do those who are Catholic. They simply default to blaming 'whoever is in charge.'

Exactly.

Every time someone goes to the Catholic church for mass, they bow down and make the sign of the cross---they are doing this to the "Holy Images" at the altar! The "Holy Images" are any pictures and statues at the altar. When we are in the Catholic religion---we sin against God and bow before IMAGES.

You know, the priest, before coming to the altar at the Catholic church at mass time, he is in a room called the sacristy. Before he comes to the front of the church where the altar is, he bows to the cross in the sacristy.

When the priest comes to the front of the church where the altar is, he bows again profoundly to the altar, and the crucifix put there when he begins mass.

He begins incensing the altar by incensing the crucifix on it, and bows to it every time he passes it; he also incenses any relics or images of saints that may be on the altar. In the same way Catholics command that all show a reverence to the cross or images of saints whenever we approach them.

Is anyone listening to me?

God says not to bow to any image.

God's Truth

Read these scriptures...

2 Kings 18:1 In the third year of Hoshea son of Elah king of Israel, Hezekiah son of Ahaz king of Judah began to reign. 2 He was twenty-five years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem twenty-nine years. His mother’s name was Abijah daughter of Zechariah. 3 He did what was right in the eyes of the LORD, just as his father David had done. 4 He removed the high places, smashed the sacred stones and cut down the Asherah poles. He broke into pieces the bronze snake Moses had made, for up to that time the Israelites had been burning incense to it. (It was called Nehushtan.)

Remember, the bronze snake that Moses made? People who were bit by snakes looked to it and lived! Yet, when the Israelites later burned incense to that bronze snake, which they knew people looked at and lived---it was still wrong for them to do that, and a man of God DESTROYED the bronze snake.

Catholics bow down to and incense pictures and statues!!!

They do not know this is wrong?

The bronze snake that MOSES made was DESTROYED because the Israelites burned incense to it! Yet, the Catholic church does not know that they do wrong when they burn incense to material possessions?

Cruciform

Even a young child can see that the Catholic church has heresies.
Only because you were taught by your particular man-made non-Catholic sect to "see" things that way.

In any case, you failed to answer the questions posed to you:
  • First, who---that is, what human being or agency---possesses the inherent doctrinal authority to declare which teachings are "heresies" and which are not in a manner which is binding on all believers?
  • Second, since it's clear that neither you, your pastor, nor your chosen non-Catholic sect possesses any such binding authority, why do you presume to pretend here that you do?

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
The anti-intellectual preconceived sectarian biased anti-Catholic rhetoric I have encountered in just the first couple of hours of this thread intetests me.
I used to think the same, but as I investigated further I discovered I was beleiving someone else's rhetoric and not actual facts. During my research the truth began to shine through.
I was just wondering if anyone had a reasonable argument why I shouldn't join the Catholic Church, but I haven't discovered one based on fact yet.

There are many paths to God. Are you seeking? Ultimately, you have to seek, no one shall seek for you.

God's Truth

Only because you were taught by your particular man-made non-Catholic sect to "see" things that way.

You are not speaking truth.

I was raised strict Catholic.

In any case, you failed to answer the questions posed to you:
  • First, who---that is, what human being or agency---possesses the inherent doctrinal authority to declare which teachings are "heresies" and which are not in a manner which is binding on all believers?
  • Second, since it's clear that neither you, your pastor, nor your chosen non-Catholic sect possesses any such binding authority, why do you presume to pretend here that you do?

I have already answered your questions.

Everyone is responsible for finding out what Jesus' teachings are in the written word.

False teachers confuse what is written.

Why do you think the false prophet will be put in the lake of fire?

Cruciform

I was raised strict Catholic.
Irrelevant, since most of the rank heretics throughout history have been.

I have already answered your questions. Everyone is responsible for finding out what Jesus' teachings are in the written word.
  • Your answer, then, is that you possess the inherent doctrinal authority to declare which teachings are "heresies" and which are not in a manner which is binding upon all believers, correct?
  • Also, go ahead and cite a single biblical text which states that God's word (Divine Revelation) is restricted to the written texts alone (sola scriptura), as you wrongly assume here.
False teachers confuse what is written.
Just as you have.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Cruciform

You realize that there is no such thing when you talk about limbo.
Limbo has never been a formal dogma of the Catholic faith, but was merely a pious idea that became popular during the Middle Ages. No Catholic has ever been obligated to affirm it.

Everything else in the source I cited stands exactly as posted. Jesus and the Apostles taught clearly and widely about the punishments of hell. Your claim to the contrary, therefore, simply falls flat.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Omniskeptical

BANNED
Banned
Limbo has never been a formal dogma of the Catholic faith, but was merely a pious idea that became popular during the Middle Ages. No Catholic has ever been obligated to affirm it.

Everything else in the source I cited stands exactly as posted. Jesus and the Apostles taught clearly and widely about the punishments of hell. Your claim to the contrary, therefore, simply falls flat.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+
WOW, such lying to pretend that Catholicism still embraces the doctrine of eternal damnation which they created with the unholy Aquinas' help. Limbo/Purgatory evolved into eternal damnation in your church. Lying charlatans like you have been able to deny it, because few knew it was Aquinas who invented it.

Cruciform

WOW, such lying...
Either post your proof for this claim, or have the intellectual honesty to retract it.

...to pretend that Catholicism still embraces the doctrine of eternal damnation which they created with the unholy Aquinas' help.
Weird, since this cites numerous sources in support of eternal damnation throughout Christian history---LONG before Aquinas lived in the 13th century. So much for your ridiculous claims.

Limbo/Purgatory evolved into eternal damnation in your church.
Again, go ahead and post your proof.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

God's Truth

Irrelevant, since most of the rank heretics throughout history have been.

• Your answer, then, is that you possess the inherent doctrinal authority to declare which teachings are "heresies" and which are not in a manner which is binding upon all believers, correct?
  • Also, go ahead and cite a single biblical text which states that God's word (Divine Revelation) is restricted to the written texts alone (sola scriptura), as you wrongly assume here.

Just as you have.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

It is not that hard to understand.

If it is man's teachings---then it is man's teachings.

If it is man's teachings, then it always goes against what the written Word says.

I can prove that easily.

Jesus says call no man 'father'.

The Catholics teach to call their brothers 'father'.

God says do not make a statue, and do not bow to it.

The Catholics make statues and bow to them.