ECT Why shouldn't I convert from Evangelical Protestant to Catholic?

lifeisgood

I suggest that before you dive in and post in a thread you read the original post. Hint: 4th sentence.

If you have to say:
I am not asking because I doubt my journey, I am asking because I haven't come across a good enough reason NOT to join.

In your heart you already are a Roman Catholic.

Also, it's not Roman Catholic, but Catholic. Thankyou.

Do you want to be a member of the Roman rite? Yes.

Therefore in your heart you are already a Roman Catholic because according to www.catholic.com, a Roman Catholic is a Catholic who is a member of the Roman rite; and you have stated that you are not in doubt of your journey.

Aimiel

Scripture shows that Simon was called Kepha/Rock//Peter from that time on. It is not a universal name according to the witness of scripture.
So you're saying that you're not blessed and haven't received any revelations from God, The Father?

Cruciform

You failed to highlight male virgin as an error.
And you failed to provide the requested documentation. Here, I'll say it again:
Cite and quote a single qualified Christian Old Testament scholar who endorses the interpretation of Mary's words ("I have not known a man") that you're trying to promote here. I eagerly await your "proof."

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Cruciform

So you're saying that you're not blessed and haven't received any revelations from God, The Father?
Of course I haven't received "revelations" from God, since I'm not a prophet, apostle, or bishop.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Cruciform

The Catholic church introduced many heresies.
  • First, who---that is, what human being or agency---possesses the inherent doctrinal authority to declare which teachings are "heresies" and which are not in a manner which is binding on all believers?
  • Second, since it's clear that neither you, your pastor, nor your chosen non-Catholic sect possesses any such binding authority, why do you presume to pretend here that you do?

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Aimiel

Of course I haven't received "revelations" from God, since I'm not a prophet, apostle, or bishop.
To know that Jesus is The Christ, The Son of The Living God is a revelation. If those in darkness knew it, they'd repent in sackcloth and ashes.

Omniskeptical

BANNED
Banned
And you failed to provide the requested documentation. Here, I'll say it again:
Cite and quote a single qualified Christian Old Testament scholar who endorses the interpretation of Mary's words ("I have not known a man") that you're trying to promote here. I eagerly await your "proof."

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+
No one cares to improve your Roman Catholic mistranslations of the bible.

Cruciform

To know that Jesus is The Christ, The Son of The Living God is a revelation.
Rather, it is an awareness which derives from the authoritative teachings of Christ's one historic Church, and is based upon Divine Revelation, the word of God (Scripture and Tradition). God doesn't zap it into our brains from outer space.

Cruciform

No one cares to improve your Roman Catholic mistranslations of the bible.
Once again, you failed to provide the requested documentation. Last chance:

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Rather, it is an awareness which derives from the authoritative teachings of Christ's one historic Church, and is based upon Divine Revelation, the word of God (Scripture and Tradition). God doesn't zap it into our brains from outer space.

It is worth noting that faith, hope and charity are infused virtues according to St. Thomas Aquinas. Faith isn't something that you can acquire by your own natural efforts. God has to grant it supernaturally.

Cruciform

It is worth noting that faith, hope and charity are infused virtues according to St. Thomas Aquinas. Faith isn't something that you can acquire by your own natural efforts. God has to grant it supernaturally.
Yes, I'm not advocating Pelagianism. In short, Aimiel confuses what derives from revelation with "revelation" itself.

God's Truth

God does not give us faith supernaturally.

Faith is from God, from reading His powerful message, the Bible, the New Testament. It has the powerful message that saves. We do not get faith supernaturally, as many teach, but we get faith in a very human way, from reading the supernatural message!

Where does our faith come from? Our faith comes from HEARING the word, see Romans 10:17. From hearing the word and being TAUGHT, Colossians 1:5, 7. From continuing in what we have been CONVINCED of, see 2 Timothy 3:14, and being PERSUADED, 2 Corinthians 5:11. In Acts 26:17 Jesus tells Paul he is sending him to the Jews and Gentiles to OPEN THEIR EYES and turn them from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God. How do you think Paul is going to open the eyes of the Jews and the Gentiles? Remember, faith comes from hearing the word, and Jesus sent Paul to preach the gospel. 1 Corinthians 1:18 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel–not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

Paul is going to open their eyes by preaching to them.

Read what Paul says in Romans 16:25-27. Now to him who is able to ESTABLISH YOU BY MY GOSPEL AND THE PROCLAMATION OF JESUS CHRIST, according to the revelation of the mystery hidden for long ages past, but now revealed and MADE KNOWN THROUGH THE PROPHETIC WRITINGS by the command of the eternal God, SO THAT ALL NATIONS MIGHT BELIEVE AND OBEY HIM–to the only wise God be glory forever through Jesus Christ! Amen.

Paul says that God made the prophetic writings known so that all nations might believe and obey. So again, the word of God tells us that faith comes from hearing. Here are more scriptures that explain how we have to HEAR the message that saves: Acts 8:31: 10:14; 11:14; 16:31; John 9:36; Ephesians 1:13; 4:21; Titus 1:3; Colossians 1:5; 1:23.

God's Truth

Nowhere in the Bible anywhere does it say what you said.

Let us believe in God's Word, not man's words.

God's Truth

• First, who---that is, what human being or agency---possesses the inherent doctrinal authority to declare which teachings are "heresies" and which are not in a manner which is binding on all believers?
  • Second, since it's clear that neither you, your pastor, nor your chosen non-Catholic sect possesses any such binding authority, why do you presume to pretend here that you do?

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Even a young child can see that the Catholic church has heresies.

Aimiel

True. They notice the idols, and ask why someone who says they believe in God would have idols in their church. They know there is something wrong as do those who are Catholic. They simply default to blaming 'whoever is in charge.'

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
True. They notice the idols, and ask why someone who says they believe in God would have idols in their church. They know there is something wrong as do those who are Catholic. They simply default to blaming 'whoever is in charge.'

we don't have idols
we have statues that help us focus on those who have given us reason to believe
that
we can overcome our weaknesses

RichRock

BANNED
Banned
If you have to say:

In your heart you already are a Roman Catholic.

Do you want to be a member of the Roman rite? Yes.

Therefore in your heart you are already a Roman Catholic because according to www.catholic.com, a Roman Catholic is a Catholic who is a member of the Roman rite; and you have stated that you are not in doubt of your journey.

Let me help stem your ignorance with a little history lesson based on FACT.

When did the term "Roman Catholic Church" first come into being?

Answer

It is not possible to give an exact year when the Catholic Church began to be called the "Roman Catholic Church," but it is possible to approximate it. The term originates as an insult created by Anglicans who wished to refer to themselves as Catholic.
They thus coined the term "Roman*Catholic" to distinguish those in union with Rome from themselves and to create a sense in which they could refer to themselves as Catholics (by attempting to deprive actual Catholics to the right to the term).

Different variants of the "Roman" insult appeared at different times. The earliest form was the noun "Romanist" (one belonging to the Catholic Church), which appeared in England about 1515-1525. The next to develop was the adjective "Romish" (similar to something done or believed in the Catholic Church), which appeared around 1525-1535.
Next came the noun "Roman Catholic" (one belonging to the Catholic Church), which was coined around 1595-1605. Shortly thereafter came the verb "to Romanize" (to make someone a Catholic or to become a Catholic), which appeared around 1600-10. Between 1665 and 1675 we got the noun "Romanism" (the system of Catholic beliefs and practices), and finally we got a latecomer term about 1815-1825, the noun "Roman Catholicism," a synonym for the earlier "Romanism."

A similar complex of insults arose around "pope." About 1515-25 the Anglicans coined the term "papist" and later its derivative "papism." A quick follow-up, in 1520-1530, was the adjective "popish." Next came "popery" (1525-1535), then "papistry" (1540-1550), with its later derivatives, "papistical" and "papistic." (Source:Random House Webster's College Dictionary,*1995 ed.)This complex of insults is revealing as it shows the depths of animosity English Protestants had toward the Church.

No other religious body (perhaps no other group at all, even national or racial) has such a complex of insults against it woven into the English language as does the Catholic Church.

Even today many Protestants who have no idea what the origin of the term is cannot bring themselves to say "Catholic" without qualifying it or replacing it with an insult.

Your welcome.

Omniskeptical

BANNED
Banned
It is worth noting Thomas Aquinas practically invented the idea of eternal life and pain in hell.

Omniskeptical

BANNED
Banned
Let me help stem your ignorance with a little history lesson based on FACT.

When did the term "Roman Catholic Church" first come into being?

Answer

It is not possible to give an exact year when the Catholic Church began to be called the "Roman Catholic Church," but it is possible to approximate it. The term originates as an insult created by Anglicans who wished to refer to themselves as Catholic.
They thus coined the term "Roman*Catholic" to distinguish those in union with Rome from themselves and to create a sense in which they could refer to themselves as Catholics (by attempting to deprive actual Catholics to the right to the term).

Different variants of the "Roman" insult appeared at different times. The earliest form was the noun "Romanist" (one belonging to the Catholic Church), which appeared in England about 1515-1525. The next to develop was the adjective "Romish" (similar to something done or believed in the Catholic Church), which appeared around 1525-1535.
Next came the noun "Roman Catholic" (one belonging to the Catholic Church), which was coined around 1595-1605. Shortly thereafter came the verb "to Romanize" (to make someone a Catholic or to become a Catholic), which appeared around 1600-10. Between 1665 and 1675 we got the noun "Romanism" (the system of Catholic beliefs and practices), and finally we got a latecomer term about 1815-1825, the noun "Roman Catholicism," a synonym for the earlier "Romanism."

A similar complex of insults arose around "pope." About 1515-25 the Anglicans coined the term "papist" and later its derivative "papism." A quick follow-up, in 1520-1530, was the adjective "popish." Next came "popery" (1525-1535), then "papistry" (1540-1550), with its later derivatives, "papistical" and "papistic." (Source:Random House Webster's College Dictionary,*1995 ed.)This complex of insults is revealing as it shows the depths of animosity English Protestants had toward the Church.

No other religious body (perhaps no other group at all, even national or racial) has such a complex of insults against it woven into the English language as does the Catholic Church.

Even today many Protestants who have no idea what the origin of the term is cannot bring themselves to say "Catholic" without qualifying it or replacing it with an insult.

Your welcome.
The Latin Church, then?