why do liberals ALWAYS take the side of the vile?

Caledvwlch

Now, you're an atheist, so I get that your god is the State (some atheists have different gods other than the State, but its clear that yours is.) But if you had a brain, you'd be able to comprehend why a Christian would not wish to similarly bow down.

Okay, now who's straw-manning whom?

Christian Liberty

I won't speak for Granite, because he's better with the language than I am, and it's his turn to buy the beer next time. ( :D ) However I suspect his experience with and knowledge of libertarian thought is a bit more nuanced than you think it is.

Maybe. But he isn't showing it.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Granite, you proved you didn't understand it when you lied about me wanting people to starve to death and of getting my jollies out of the thought of hoarding money at everyone else's expense.

I already said I don't believe you want people to starve; you're just incredibly flip about the idea and about societal steps to prevent such a scenario. If you missed that post, not my problem. To say I think you "want people to starve" is a mistake at best and a lie at worst. Do better.

You think that just because a person opposes compulsory taxation, refusing to "contribute" at gunpoint, that he also must be obsessed with the idea of hoarding money at the expense of other people.

Show me a society, nation, civilization, anywhere that has ever functioned completely under a system of voluntary taxation. I'll wait.

Want national defense? A highway system? Want to make sure you aren't eating an unfortunate worker who fell into a meat grinder? How about a power grid or intelligence that keeps you safe? Guess what, pal: You, like everyone else who enjoys those benefits, kicks into the pot. Ante up. Complaining about taxes is juvenile, unrealistic, predictable, and completely lacking in any kind of realistic alternative (at least when it comes to a nation as large and complex as the United States).

You think that just because a person opposes economic regulation that he must want to abuse workers under his authority. And so forth.

Again...want, no. Allow, yes. It wasn't libertarians who ended child labor or a seven-day work week, I'll put it that way. Nor could a libertarian make any kind of honest or consistent case against such practices.

And you fail to make the logical connection between YOU mugging people to get them to support a cause you support, and hiring a thug in a blue costume to do the same thing.

Maybe because such a "connection" isn't logical.

Now, you're an atheist, so I get that your god is the State (some atheists have different gods other than the State, but its clear that yours is.)

Which shows you don't know me and don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I am nineteen years old, will be twenty in a couple weeks.

I'm already at the point of near-insanity when it comes to the stupidity of the average person. And the average person here is even dumber than the average person in general...People are both stupid and evil and it gets frustrating when it comes to someone who actually understands the world [CL], especially when you're too young for people to understand that you actually can, and do, understand it better than they do.
To sum. Most people who differ with CL are stupid and likely evil and just don't realize how smart he is, comparatively and how much more he understands the world around them.

If you [me] can't see how stupid this analogy is by this point, I give up.... A couple days ago I would have thought you were of similar intelligence level to me.I do not think so now.

...Like most people here, and most "Christians" throughout human history, you do not worship God. You worship the government.
Curiously, this lowered estimation, one at odds with many a comment prior, is on the heels of sustained disagreement. :think: A remarkable coincidence.

...Considering you [AB] have been reading my posts for as long as you have, and you still took it literally, shows me that you are stupid.
Because that's the only possible conclusion. :rolleyes: If you're going to declare and infer your superiority as a near foundational part of your argument and objection you might want to dial back on comments that argue against that. Let other people do it.

...He's [Granite] not the biggest idiot here, certainly, but he has no clue what I am actually advocating or why.
Just a quick sampling, but you think it's your intelligence and politics that's limiting you?

:plain: Your metaphorical cake is made with self marginalizing flour.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Pretty much how I would've acted and sounded at his age.

Poor kid's just a little mixed up, is all. I hold out hope. Foolishly, but I do.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Pretty much how I would've acted and sounded at his age.

Poor kid's just a little mixed up, is all. I hold out hope. Foolishly, but I do.
I like him, but he has to learn to self edit and the Asperger's is doubling down on the contrary impulse.

Arthur Brain

You took that post as a literal policy suggestion rather than as an illustration of a point. Considering you have been reading my posts for as long as you have, and you still took it literally, shows me that you are stupid.

I am a philosophical voluntarist who believes in the NAP. I could give you a scriptural argument, if you were interested, for this philosophy. With that said, the entire concept of "voting" only has two purposes. Either defensive, which is to protect one's rights, or aggressive, which is the opposite (I ignore here purely trivial cases such as voting to recognize a holiday or on a statement saying Santa Clause is the most wonderful thing in the world or other such). Since I understand that nobody has a right to engage in aggressive violence, I would vote to uphold such were I to be the only one to be able to vote. Thus, me being the only one voting would lead us closer to a peaceful, voluntarist society than would also letting control freaks vote.

Is that a serious policy suggestion? No, of course not. But I was, again, illustrating a point.

Well, considering you seem to think that practically everyone besides you is stupid then colour me surprised...(not).

Essentially you'd sooner that only those who espouse and agree with your own political views should be allowed a say where it comes to governance and how things run, yet frankly I consider such an idea to be potentially catastrophic. How would the services you likely take for granted be paid for exactly? I think your youthful idealism is fundamentally naïve.

bybee

Think what you want. I don't really care anymore. I'm only here for a subset of the forum now anyways.

Ah you see! I have treated you with courtesy. I am interested in what you think. And I choose to help you by critiquing your logistics.
Young people know things that I don't so I am interested in their thoughts so that I may learn.

Quincy

I have my TOL options set up to show the newest post first when I enter a thread.

If I hadn't been following along for awhile, I would have sworn you guys were talking about Traditio :chuckle: .

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I have my TOL options set up to show the newest post first when I enter a thread.
I do too. Sometimes it gets confusing, when people say, "As you can see in the post above" and there's no post above. :plain: Why wouldn't everyone have it set up with the top post being the most recent?

If I hadn't been following along for awhile, I would have sworn you guys were talking about Traditio :chuckle: .
The names change, but in a way it's always about Trad. :plain:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
My TOL world has turned upside down.

I think it might be safe to add "literally," but I'll keep it down here just to be safe.
Fine. Don't be lazy...dwell in the valley. Live among the chronologically (or possibly chromosomally) challenged. :mmph: Uh-oh, I think I might be turning libertarian. :shocked:

Quincy

The names change, but in a way it's always about Trad. :plain:

Trad would approve of this statement. You're on the path to getting your official philosopher toga in the mail!

I did use to leave the settings on default but 25 posts per page is rather low. So I changed it to 100 and saw the option for new posts first, which yea, sounds good.

Caledvwlch

Fine. Don't be lazy...dwell in the valley. Live among the chronologically (or possibly chromosomally) challenged. :mmph: Uh-oh, I think I might be turning libertarian. :shocked:

I mean that I switched it. It's a little weird, but I might be able to get used to it.

Caledvwlch

Trad would approve of this statement. You're on the path to getting your official philosopher toga in the mail!

I did use to leave the settings on default but 25 posts per page is rather low. So I changed it to 100 and saw the option for new posts first, which yea, sounds good.

Posts per page???

I am now going to need to take a nap. This day has completely blown my mind.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I like him, but he has to learn to self edit and the Asperger's is doubling down on the contrary impulse.

Is that what it is? He really seems callous and without empathy towards the less fortunate and most victims.

Also, the ongoing attack on the military is offensive. Not sure if I ever told you, but my nephew was in the military and my daughter just enlisted in the Air Force. He just runs his mouth with no regard for anyone or anything.

Of course, free speech and all doesn't mean one is free from getting blasted for their *brilliant ideas and lack of life experience*.

Caledvwlch

Call me a sadist, but I love having a page full of the most TOL posts possible.

:think:

I went to 30. Didn't want to bite off more than I could chew. Too much "god did it" or "liberal = evil" on one screen might start giving Google weird ideas about where I want to go to dinner tonight.