Why Calvinist, Catholics, Others, Never Talk About Being "In Christ"

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by TweetyBird

I believe Calvin was quoting Jesus.

John 6
43 Jesus therefore answered and said unto them, Murmur not among yourselves. 44No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. 45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

Yet He wept over Jerusalem. If they didn't come (and as a nation they never did) that can only prove, by your logic, that God never drew them...if He had drawn them, they'd inexorably have come. They didn't, so while they had heard, they must not have been drawn.

:think:

Yet Christ wept over their REFUSING to come to Him...which they could only do if they were drawn by the Father...meaning He was lamenting, by your logic, the Father's will in NOT drawing them.

I'm sure you don't see the problem there.
good post

Robert Pate

Banned
What does the next verse say?

Hebrews 4:11 NET Thus we must make every effort to enter that rest so that no one may fall by following the same pattern of disobedience.

You appear to want to do some sort of a works that will make you pleasing to God.

God does not accept the works or the obedience of sinners.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Yet He wept over Jerusalem. If they didn't come (and as a nation they never did)

Right. God takes no pleasure in the (willful) death of the wicked.

that can only prove, by your logic, that God never drew them...if He had drawn them, they'd inexorably have come. They didn't, so while they had heard, they must not have been drawn.

You've got it!!!

Yet Christ wept over their REFUSING to come to Him

If as you just figured out, God never drew them, then their refusal is based on something different than His offer of grace, right?

...which they could only do if they were drawn by the Father...meaning He was lamenting, by your logic, the Father's will in NOT drawing them.

I see your logical problem, for sure . . .

The "refusal" to come to God was universal, due to original sin.

God chose an elect to be redeemed in and by Jesus Christ, that overrode and nullified the natural refusal of men to turn to God.

IOW's, God's drawing of sinners to faith in Jesus Christ, was never universally offered, but particularly designated only to those elect souls, known by God in Christ before the foundation of the world.

Robert Pate

Banned
Right. God takes no pleasure in the (willful) death of the wicked.

You've got it!!!

If as you just figured out, God never drew them, then their refusal is based on something different than His offer of grace, right?

I see your logical problem, for sure . . .

The "refusal" to come to God was universal, due to original sin.

God chose an elect to be redeemed in and by Jesus Christ, that overrode and nullified the natural refusal of men to turn to God.

IOW's, God's drawing of sinners to faith in Jesus Christ, was never universally offered, but particularly designated only to those elect souls, known by God in Christ before the foundation of the world.

God is not willing that any should perish, 2 Peter 3:9. To teach that he is, is to teach that he is unjust.

If he is unjust then it is not possible to believe or trust in him.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
God does not accept the works or the obedience of sinners.

True, nor does he want us to remain sinners.

We are given salvation in order to do good works by which we are judged.

Ephesians 2:10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
God is not willing that any should perish, 2 Peter 3:9. To teach that he is, is to teach that he is unjust.

If he is unjust then it is not possible to believe or trust in him.

God is not willing that any redeemed in Christ should perish . . And they never will . . They are promised everlasting life!

Not so the wicked reprobate. They are not included in this promise of life and inheritance of God's glory.

The context of II Peter 3:9 pertains only to those who have been saved in Christ, and has nothing to do with those God has left in their sins. (Reprobates)

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Paul wrote, "For he that has enter into his rest, he has also ceased from his own works" Hebrews 4:10.

What does the next verse say?

Hebrews 4:11 Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest lest anyone fall according to the same example of disobedience.

Robert Pate

Banned
God is not willing that any redeemed in Christ should perish . . And they never will . . They are promised everlasting life!

Not so the wicked reprobate. They are not included in this promise of life and inheritance of God's glory.

The context of II Peter 3:9 pertains only to those who have been saved in Christ, and has nothing to do with those God has left in their sins. (Reprobates)

You are in denial of the Lordship of Jesus Christ.

Jesus is the savior of the whole world, John 12:47.

He is Lord because he has conquered sin, death and the devil, Colossians 2:15.

You are outside of the faith because you do not believe.

TweetyBird

Yet He wept over Jerusalem. If they didn't come (and as a nation they never did) that can only prove, by your logic, that God never drew them...if He had drawn them, they'd inexorably have come. They didn't, so while they had heard, they must not have been drawn.

:think:

Yet Christ wept over their REFUSING to come to Him...which they could only do if they were drawn by the Father...meaning He was lamenting, by your logic, the Father's will in NOT drawing them.

Righto. I see a juxtaposition of being drawn, man's will, and foreknowledge. I have no problem with that. All I know for sure is that we all have the opportunity to come to Christ. How God works that out, giving one by grace, the measure of faith to believe is something man will never comprehend. I love a good mystery :cool:

beloved57

This is a very important doctrine, yet it is not mentioned in the "Canons of Dort" nor is it mentioned in the 33 "Canons of the Council of Trent". There is some mention of having faith in Christ. But there is no mention of being found "In Christ".

The "In Christ" doctrine was a big part of what Paul taught, "And be found "IN CHRIST", not having my own righteousness which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith" Philippians 3:9.

The reason that Calvinist, Catholics and others do not teach the "In Christ" doctrine is because they don't believe in it. In the Calvinist doctrine they are not saved by being "In Christ" they are saved by being predestinated. Even though there is no scripture about anyone being predestinated to heaven or to hell. Catholics apparently do not believe that they need to be "In Christ" simply because they don't teach it. If they don't teach it, its because they don't believe it.

For the Christian the "In Christ" doctrine is everything. It is his only hope. In the judgment if one is not found to be "In Christ" he will perish. God only accepts the righteousness of Christ. This is why Paul said, "Not having my own righteousness, which is of the law". If you enter in to the judgment with your own righteousness, which is of the law, you will perish.

What does it mean to be "In Christ?"

It means that you have ceased from your own works (religion) and you are resting in the works and the person of Jesus Christ for your salvation. Paul wrote, "For he that has enter into his rest, he has also ceased from his own works" Hebrews 4:10. It means that you have stopped trying to be good enough and have come to the realization that Christ was good enough for you. If anyone will be saved in the judgment it will be because of the merits of Jesus Christ.

The elect were in Christ before the foundation of the world Ephesians 1:4. They were in union with Christ that early.

Robert Pate

Banned
The elect were in Christ before the foundation of the world Ephesians 1:4. They were in union with Christ that early.

No, if you want to be found "in Christ" you will have to come to him as a repentant sinner and ask him to save you.

"Whosoever that shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" Romans 10:13.

In the judgment you are going to hear... "Depart from me, I never knew you" Matthew 7:23.

God's Truth

To be "In Christ" means that you are trusting in HIS righteousness and in HIS atonement for your sins. This is how Jesus justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5.

Jesus puts those in him whom he chooses. That happens when Jesus saves someone. Jesus puts himself in that person and puts that person in him.

Jesus tells us whom he chooses. He chooses those who believe and obey by repenting of their sins.

Robert Pate

Banned
Jesus puts those in him whom he chooses. That happens when Jesus saves someone. Jesus puts himself in that person and puts that person in him.

Jesus tells us whom he chooses. He chooses those who believe and obey by repenting of their sins.

What you are talking about is sanctification. The Christian life that is lived before God as a sinner. You may fool some, but you can't fool God.

God's Truth

What you are talking about is sanctification.

Sanctification happens the time a person is saved by the blood of Jesus.

The Christian life that is lived before God as a sinner. You may fool some, but you can't fool God.

It isn't fooling people to tell them the Way and the Truth and the Life.

You are the one trying to do that.

Many are fooled into thinking they can do whatever they want as long as they believe in Jesus.

The Bible says they are deceived by Satan.

It might feel good to believe as they do, but it is a deception.

2 Corinthians 11:14 And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.

Did you think it wouldn't sound good and feel good to be deceived by Satan?

James 1:16 Don't be deceived, my dear brothers and sisters.

Galatians 6:7 Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.

1 Corinthians 6:9
Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God?

Robert Pate says they do.

Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men

Robert Pate says they do. He says they only have to believe.