Votes: 9 13.2%
  • I use Linux

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.9%

• Total voters

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I voted XP. I recently bought a Mac and I'm running Leopard, and I have no complaints so far, but I haven't really delved into the OS yet so for now I'll still say I'm a Windows guy. In the near future I might change that, though.
I have also experimented with Linux, which I have liked, but I haven't done much that either. I plan to experiment more with Linux once I have the time. I will probably dual boot my Mac with some flavor of it.

johncalvinhall

I have 5 computers.
4 run Windows XP. It is a good system and I dont have a copy of windows 2000 so it is my only feasible option. with some tweaking you can disable most microsoft nonsense.
My laptop runs Vista, after I spent countless hours in a vain attempt to get Ubuntu running. Vista is terrible and I will switch back once Ubuntu gets some better driver support for my tablet laptop.

for mac lovers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JixbzFjv_cU

XP is a very stable OS, but I recall every time Microsoft brings out a new OS people scream how they will refuse to change.

I confess I was the same way too. A colleague and I (back in the late 80s - early 90s) hated Windows, and thought it was for people who couldn't think! We were die-hard DOS users, and we claimed to run a computer faster in DOS than in Windows. Now, the only time I drop to a C-prompt is when I want to ping something.

I am convinced that sometime in the near future people will shout and scream about Microsoft's newest OS and demand nothing but Vista on their computers.

... Let progress roll ...

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I developed some Macintosh software in the mid-nineties for some personal knowledge. I am still very adept with C/C++/C#. Used to have nothing but Macs. Moved to Windows and still have XP machines. I use Ubuntu (linux) more than anything else nowadays. I like to live closer to the metal and have exhaustive, meticulous, control (get it?). :chuckle:

johncalvinhall

Not that I am aware of.

For the segment of the population that likes to build their own computers, a Mac may not be for them.

There was a time when building your own computer was the most cost-effective way to go, but not any more.

Anyone remember back when Compaq used nothing but proprietary hardware??? That trick was short-lived.

The first computer I worked on was a Commodore PET (circa 1982). The first computer I ever built was in 1988 when I purchased a bare bones XT case from Swan Technology. Yowser, a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then!

I also remember when computer wars were the rage. Someone would claim Brand X was better than Brand Y. Not any more. Sure, you have a few laptops with a metal frame and case, but overall, I think they are all the same.

And, no - I am not impressed with Sony's Vaio. Too pricey for just the label.

I have 2 laptops (HP DV9000 and DV2000), a Mac G4, and an old Micron PC (Win2k) that I paid $3000+ for back in 1999. With my four children, invariably one doesn't get on a computer. :sigh:

I guess we'll just have to suffer.

johncalvinhall

I have also experimented with Linux, which I have liked, but I haven't done much that either. I plan to experiment more with Linux once I have the time. I will probably dual boot my Mac with some flavor of it.

If I may suggest, take a serious look at FreeBSD. Out of the top 10 reliable web servers, most of them run on FreeBSD.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I just helped my son purchase a custom built machine from Falcon Engineering -- $6,500+. It is a very powerful item that runs the new Crysis game. Another example of a game driving the purchase of a computer powerful enough to run it. Sort of like buying a steering wheel and building a car around it. sigh

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I hate Vista and I think it is right, my laptop has a 1 gigabyte CPU, which is probably not fast enough. I never loaded Windows XP but I have a purchased copy.

I did use Linux Mandrake (Part Red Hat) some years ago when my own CPU was operating properly.

I like Windows 98 but I know Windows 95 better, as to all the utilities. What was before that? 3.2?

Remember the Apple E?

Commodore 64?

How about a nice UNIVAC or an IBM 1401

Read up on FORTRAN and get out the punch cards, or that smelly old red tape.
Give me a green screen and let’s graph some equations
I never liked computers other than as super calculators and yes, word processing, or typing without white-out.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I developed some Macintosh software in the mid-nineties for some personal knowledge. I am still very adept with C/C++/C#. Used to have nothing but Macs. Moved to Windows and still have XP machines. I use Ubuntu (linux) more than anything else nowadays. I like to live closer to the metal and have exhaustive, meticulous, control (get it?). :chuckle:
:ha: :rotfl:

I thought your favorite OS was gonna be Hammermill and Eberhard Faber.

cfisher

XP is a very stable OS, but I recall every time Microsoft brings out a new OS people scream how they will refuse to change.

I confess I was the same way too. A colleague and I (back in the late 80s - early 90s) hated Windows, and thought it was for people who couldn't think! We were die-hard DOS users, and we claimed to run a computer faster in DOS than in Windows. Now, the only time I drop to a C-prompt is when I want to ping something.

I am convinced that sometime in the near future people will shout and scream about Microsoft's newest OS and demand nothing but Vista on their computers.

... Let progress roll ...

I used to hack games in DOS... I am 24. It was a smackdown when military computer ops guy was installing something on my computer with a series of floppy discs and I said "I remember installing Windows 3.1 on those things". He responded: "that was before my time." Ouch... Im old.

I resisted the XP change until I started buying computers with nothing but XP drivers available... but Vista, unless certain key games must be run on it, is staying off all my computers. I would go back to 2000 if I got the discs and drivers. Anyways, Vista is a resource hog and I hate DRM. My current main computer I slapped in a 512 video card and 4 gigs of RAM, play Bioshock like a dream. I doubt I will be forced to Vista anytime soon.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Why do I get the feeling that mostly the Mac OS users will be posting in this thread? :chuckle: Mac OS users tend be much more vocal for their love for Mac OS. How often do we hear PC users pumping up Windows XP it Vista? :idunno:
That's because Mac users actually like their OS, unlike Windows users who merely tolerate theirs.

fourcheeze

Windows Millennium Edition rocks.

And who said you couldn't make an ironic joke out of computers?

I've got about 5 computers around home. 3 are macs, two of them run Mac OS, one runs Linux (kubuntu). The others run various shades of Linux.

This MacBook Pro I'm using now is running OSX (Leopard), it's the ideal tool for a geek like me as I can have a fine gui running on fantastic hardware and all my favourite unix command line bits still available available. Previously I've been running Linux on my laptop or workstation (ubuntu and/or debian) since about 1999 and been very happy with it.

Most people don't aspire to much in the way of happiness with their computer. In 1999 after the 7th reinstall of Windows 98 in one day I decided there must be a better way. I remembered my earlier unix experience and looked into Linux and thereafter I was sold.

Pretty soon my house is going to be runing on LinuxMCE too:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2176025602905109829

(linux already records all my tv etc)

Real Sorceror

I'm running Windows XP. Its not bad, but I wouldn't mind trying out Macintosh sometime.

Windows Vista is the devil, especially for someone with my job. Can you imagine trying to provide Vista tech support over the phone? I have to run a simulation just to get a vague idea of what Vista even looks like.

cfisher

I'm running Windows XP. Its not bad, but I wouldn't mind trying out Macintosh sometime.

Windows Vista is the devil, especially for someone with my job. Can you imagine trying to provide Vista tech support over the phone? I have to run a simulation just to get a vague idea of what Vista even looks like.

considering the people who run vista... yeah... tech support is not sounding fun

Real Sorceror

considering the people who run vista... yeah... tech support is not sounding fun
I especially hate that the "Start" button no longer says "Start" on it. You pretty much have to call it "that little circle thing with the colorful flag on it". And they added more layers to all the menus, and the Network Connections is now called "Network and Sharing Center". Y'know, because sharing sounds so friendly.