• I use Linux

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.9%

• Total voters

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Also, I can build a PC with quality parts and have it work right the first time I plug it in at less cost than buying a Mac. That's a fact.
I have no doubt you are right. But folks like you are the exception. Most consumers don't know enough, nor even want to build their own computers. But the folks that do, (like you) aren't going to be Mac's target audience.

For example, I have two custom-built PC's in my house. One motherboard is of the quality type ($130.00 brand new) and the other is nearing monster type ($200.00 when I bought it brand new). I buy motherboards by manufacture, chip-set, and by layers. Layers signifies how feature rich and sophisticated the motherboard is. The higher the layer the better it is. At any rate, there is a lot more to motherboards than the average person knows.
Get this....

My son's 17 inch iMac blew the motherboard. He was plugging in his electric guitar to record some music but his guitar chord had a short in it and blew the motherboard. A replacement for a iMac motherboard is about $650!! I think that's ridiculous. That's where I have a problem with apple, some of their prices are simple way out of line with comparable items form other manufactures. I realize one might make the argument that they are superior but 3 or 4 times the cost??? I don't think so. :nono:

Any way.... I am a Mac guy, I always have been but that doesn't mean I think that apple is perfect by any stretch of the imagination.

SOTK

I have no doubt you are right. But folks like you are the exception. Most consumers don't know enough, nor even want to build their own computers. But the folks that do, (like you) aren't going to be Mac's target audience.
:up:

Get this....

My son's 17 inch iMac blew the motherboard. He was plugging in his electric guitar to record some music but his guitar chord had a short in it and blew the motherboard. A replacement for a iMac motherboard is about $650!! I think that's ridiculous. That's where I have a problem with apple, some of their prices are simple way out of line with comparable items form other manufactures. I realize one might make the argument that they are superior but 3 or 4 times the cost??? I don't think so. :nono:

Any way.... I am a Mac guy, I always have been but that doesn't mean I think that apple is perfect by any stretch of the imagination.

$650.00 :noway:

That is ridiculous! iMac is the one that looks like a monitor, right? The motherboard must be specially made due to the size, shape, and configuration of this type of computer. Still, that's way too much money! :eek:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
That is ridiculous! iMac is the one that looks like a monitor, right? The motherboard must be specially made due to the size, shape, and configuration of this type of computer. Still, that's way too much money! :eek:
Yeah, I am sure it's motherboard is specially made but sheesh! I told the guy at the Mac store I could buy three PC's for the price of the repair on that iMac. :madmad: I could understand paying maybe $350 or $400, but $650 is ridiculous. After labor costs the repair would have been $813. :nono:

That being said... Mac's almost never fail. That was the first catastrophic failure we have ever had and it was basically my sons fault.

wholearmor

My only experience is with Windows but now that Apple has a retail store in Boulder, I'm going to check out the Macs.

Infieri

I have yet to find any computing experience that can compare with the pure, unadulterated functionality of Mac OSX, to say nothing of the plethora of high-quality free software available and the sleekness of Apple system design.

Aimiel

I am a Windows XP guy. I have Vista (3.0Ghz Dual Core Intel) at work and hate it. Too many background processes slow it down to a lower speed than my old PC ran (I had a 2.33Mhz Intel XP that went to Davy Jones' locker) with XP Pro on it. I wish we'd have just repaired my old PC. The first time I have to re-format the HDD, I'm putting XP Pro on this machine.

I have an iPhone, and love iTunes. I've owned a Mac, I bought a Mac Plus when they first came out, and they are very intuitive, easier to operate and maintain and the software actually works. I can't remember having a software or hardware problem. I've used Macs in the Apple store, and really like the interface and the way it does graphics so fast. I recently (about 1-1/2 years ago) bought a new HP Media Center PC. I've had to re-format the HDD about five times now. I hate Windows and I hate Microsoft software especially. I will save up and buy a Mac, for my next PC purchase. It will be a while before I save that much (at least two years) but it will happen. Apple will continue to increase market share, and re-shape our thinking about what a PC should be. :thumb:

skeptech

I have 3 computers at home (not counting my old Atari 800XL, which is up-and-running!):

- One with Windows 95 (yes, 95, original edition!)
- One with Windows ME (yes, ME!)
- One with Windows Vista

My computer at work as Windows XP. I also use Unix some.

The last time I used an Apple computer was about 20 years ago. I had to get a PC in college, and have just never been exposed to anything else since. :idunno:

Aimiel

Of the three, I would bet that the one with Win'95 is the fastest. :chuckle:

Hey, my son has my Atari 800 at his home, and still plays it sometimes. Dig Dug, Pac Man, Donkey Kong, etc., and another of my sons has my Atari 1050, with several other games, as well.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
I finally gave up on keeping my Windows 2000 going. I had Ubuntu on another partition but in the process of trying to fix Windows I lost it. (Thank geekness my data partitions survived.) So now I'm using MEPIS Linux and I'm really liking it.

Layla

On the PCs, I use XP. I do like the Mac OS, but it depends what you mainly use your computer for. The OS is for anything graphics-related, and the PCs mainly for uni research and essays. Either for mindless internet. I do like both, as I said, for their purposes. When it gets to the point where I need to update a PC and vista is the only OP available, I will be switching to Mac full time.

Oh, and I didn't vote, cause I don't really have a set preference.