What Happens in Purgatory? Tim Staples

Hoping

Banned
You're such a liar.

I took you off ignore in attempt to get you to have some sort of substantive discussion, just the exact opposite of running away. But you're impossible to have any sort of substantive exchange with. You're simply incapable of it. The best you've got is to send, as a final shot in defense of sinless perfection, an idiotic comment like accusing me of defending sin as though that doesn't count as a lie.

And it isn't God's word that are your truisms. But of course you knew that when you said that stupid comment too! The meaningless truisms that I'm referring to are comments like "There are no boundaries to the words of God.", "Love is measureless.", and straight out lies like, "That is why I wondered why you seemed you accuse Jesus of being arrogant when He never was. when it wasn't called for."

Such things are intended as substance. They're have truths and lies designed to make you feel better about not being about to address the fact that you're an arrogant ass who thinks that because he loves God more than everyone else, he is able to keep himself from sinning. It's the most ludicrously self-aggrandizing stupidity I've seen anyone post in months! Any third grade child could see through it.

Do you even notice it when you lie?

Lying is a sin, Hoping!

You are my best argument!

Clete
What you think of me and the words I use matters little.
What is important, however, is what you think of the truth that can free you from sinning.
It is written..."And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
33 They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free?
34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin." (John 8:32-34)

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
What you think of me and the words I use matters little.
Just as it should, fool.

What is important, however, is what you think of the truth that can free you from sinning.
Here we go...

It is written..."And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
33 They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free?
34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin." (John 8:32-34)
You haven't the slightest idea what that passage even means. Anyone can support any wacky doctrine that they want to conjer up if the way you use scripture was even close to valid.

What a pathetic, deluded fool you are.

Good bye!

Hoping

Banned
Just as it should, fool.
Are you advising me to ignore all your postings, or just this one?
Here we go...
No thoughts at all?
You haven't the slightest idea what that passage even means. Anyone can support any wacky doctrine that they want to conjer up if the way you use scripture was even close to valid.
Good bye!
Do you have another interpretation of John 8:32-34 that does not include freedom from serving sin?

Hoping

Banned
Yeah, it's called being graced out. Try reading Paul's letters, instead of just the gospels.
Something lacking freedom from serving sin, isn't the truth Jesus said could free us from committing sin.
Is "graced out" contrary to Jesus' promise?
If so, thankyou for the warning.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Something lacking freedom from serving sin, isn't the truth Jesus said could free us from committing sin.
Is "graced out" contrary to Jesus' promise?
If so, thankyou for the warning.

It's different to Jesus' promise to Israel, not contrary.

Graced out is for the BOC.

Freedom from serving sin was for Israel.

Hoping

Banned
It's different to Jesus' promise to Israel, not contrary.
He promised Israeli believers freedom from sin, but not us Gentiles?
That is hardly fair, or just.
Graced out is for the BOC.
Is "graced out" some kind of catch phrase?
Freedom from serving sin was for Israel.
If I actually believed that I would be so jealous.
I am, however, grateful to be grafted onto the "fortunate" branch.
And to be free from serving sin.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
He promised Israeli believers freedom from sin,

No, He promised them freedom from serving sin.

but not us Gentiles?

Gentiles are under different rules.

That is hardly fair, or just.

So if God does different things with different groups, it's unfair and unjust?

Is "graced out" some kind of catch phrase?

It means that all my sins are covered by the grace of God, that I don't have to try to be perfect, because Christ is perfect in my place.

If I actually believed that I would be so jealous.

You shouldn't be. It's not meant for you, nor does it make any sense for the Body of Christ.

Israel was under different house rules than we are in the Body of Christ today.

I am, however, grateful to be grafted onto the "fortunate" branch.

So which tribe of Israel do you belong to?

And to be free from serving sin.

Liar.

Right division, in this case, has left some to remain a servant of sin.

Rather, lack of right division has caused you to think that you don't sin, which not even Paul believed.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
It means that all my sins are covered by the grace of God, that I don't have to try to be perfect, because Christ is perfect in my place.
I'm going to take Hoping back off of ignore just long enough to see what his reaction to this single point is.

What you've said here is the very gospel itself. It's what the whole book of Galatians is about and it seems to me to be completely foreign to Hoping's mind.

Galatians 3:22 But the Scripture has confined all under sin, that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe.​
Galatians 3:26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.​

He seems to have no concept at all of two DIFFERENT covenants, one for Israel and the other NOT for Israel...

Galatians 4:21 Tell me, you who desire to be under the law, do you not hear the law? 22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons: the one by a bondwoman, the other by a freewoman. 23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born according to the flesh, and he of the freewoman through promise, 24 which things are symbolic. For these are the two covenants: the one from Mount Sinai which gives birth to bondage, which is Hagar— 25 for this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia, and corresponds to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children— 26 but the Jerusalem above is free, which is the mother of us all. 27 For it is written:​
“Rejoice, O barren,
You who do not bear!
Break forth and shout,
You who are not in labor!
For the desolate has many more children
Than she who has a husband.”​
28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are children of promise. 29 But, as he who was born according to the flesh then persecuted him who was born according to the Spirit, even so it is now. 30 Nevertheless what does the Scripture say? “Cast out the bondwoman and her son, for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.” 31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman but of the free.​
It's as though he thinks that the reason that there is no longer any distinction between Jew and Gentile is because the Gentiles have been made Jews! It's just totally upside down and, as a result, he has no concept of all, it seems, of what the Christian life is supposed to be!

Galatians 5: 5 For we through the Spirit eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.
17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.

Paul echos this same idea in Romans....

Romans 4:5 But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness,​

Romans 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. 15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. 16 If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. 17 But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. 18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. 19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. 20 Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.​
And lastly, while Hoping boasts about being arrogant and blasphemously claims he's following Christ's example in doing so, Paul teaches otherwise...

Galatians 6:14 But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ,​
Where is there any need for the cross if sinless perfection is even possible for us while we are still in this fleshly body of death? I simply cannot comprehend how it is even possible for someone to get so utterly tricked into believe such a thing even makes sense, never mind that it's actually possible or, of all things, that you've actually accomplished it! It makes my head explode! How is it possible to be so blind to your own self? I'm not sure that it is possible, actually. It's either a lie or the strongest delusion I've ever come across.

Clete

Hoping

Banned
No, He promised them freedom from serving sin.
Same thing. Freedom from serving sin equates to freedom from sin.
Gentiles are under different rules.
So Gentiles, not free from serving sin, will obtain the promised eternal life while they continue to commit sin?
It makes no sense.
It puts the Jews under a different standard of behavior to the same God Gentiles serve.
What kind of fairness is that?
So if God does different things with different groups, it's unfair and unjust?
Considering the price Jesus paid to free all of us from the devil, to allow one group to continue to serve sin, but not the other, is indeed unfair...unjust.
Harry Potter's "invisibility cloak" false doctrine.
We will all be judged alike.
It is written..."For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad." (2 Cor 5:10)
You shouldn't be. It's not meant for you, nor does it make any sense for the Body of Christ.
Israel was under different house rules than we are in the Body of Christ today.
You don't think Peter and Paul, or John, are in the body of Christ?
It is written..."But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;
16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:"
(Eph 2:13-16)
Jewish and Gentile believers are all one since the wall of ordinances was broken down.
So which tribe of Israel do you belong to?
God's new tribe of grafted in Gentiles.
Oh much to the contrary, I am very grateful to be freed from serving sin.
Rather, lack of right division has caused you to think that you don't sin, which not even Paul believed.
If Paul didn't believe it, why did he write Rom 6:7..."For he that is dead is freed from sin."?
Or 1 Cor 15:34..."Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame."?
Or Rom 8:1..."There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit." ?
Or Phil 3:15..."Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in anything ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you." ?
Or Col 1:28..."Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus." ?
Or 2 Tim 2:19..."Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, let everyone that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity." ?

I thank God for this Jewish apostle to the Jews and Gentiles.

To continue living in sin after Jesus conquered it in the flesh, makes His suffering and death a moot point.
It makes the sacrificial animals the only ones who gained any freedom by His death .

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Same thing.

It's not.

Freedom from serving sin equates to freedom from sin.

Saying it doesn't make it so.

So Gentiles, not free from serving sin, will obtain the promised eternal life while they continue to commit sin?

It's not Gentiles.

It's those in the Body of Christ, where there is neither Jew nor Gentile.

For those in the Body of Christ, yes, they will obtain the promised eternal life, because Christ is their righteousness, not doing good works.

Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? Of works? No, but by the law of faith.Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law.Or is He the God of the Jews only? Is He not also the God of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also,since there is one God who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through faith.Do we then make void the law through faith? Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish the law. - Romans 3:27-31 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans3:27-31&version=NKJV

Things that are different are not the same.

It makes no sense.

Rather, your paradigm of beleifs doesn't allow it to make sense.

Mine, however, allows it to make perfect sense.

It puts the Jews under a different standard of behavior to the same God Gentiles serve.

Correct.

What kind of fairness is that?

God can and did require different things from different people, and it was never unfair.

Considering the price Jesus paid to free all of us from the devil, to allow one group to continue to serve sin, but not the other, is indeed unfair...unjust.

Why do you assume the house rules for Israel are currently in effect? There is only one active gospel, dispensation, currently, it's the gospel of the grace of God. This is partially my fault for not including "at different times" in my previous post.

God can do different things with different people at different times, and it is not unjust, unfair, etc.

We will all be judged alike.
It is written..."For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad." (2 Cor 5:10)

Yes, WE in THE BODY OF CHRIST.

Not, THEY in THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL.

You don't think Peter and Paul, or John, are in the body of Christ?

Peter and the TWELVE APOSTLES, who will reign on TWELVE THRONES over the TWELVE TRIBES of Israel, are not part of the Body of Christ, no.

Paul was the first member, but he is not the head, Christ is the head of the Body. Paul is just a member.

It is written..."But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;
16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:" (Eph 2:13-16)

Which is talking about the BODY of Christ, not the NATION of Israel.

Jewish and Gentile believers are all one since the wall of ordinances was broken down.

Only under the gospel of grace. But not under the New Covenant, which made (and will make when it becomes active again during the Great Tribulation) a distinction between Jew and Gentile.

God's new tribe of grafted in Gentiles.

Book, chapter, verse, where such thing exists.

Oh much to the contrary, I am very grateful to be freed from serving sin.

You cannot be grateful for being free of something you are not free from. That makes you a liar.

If Paul didn't believe it, why did he write Rom 6:7..."For he that is dead is freed from sin."?

Talking about those who are actually dead.

Or 1 Cor 15:34..."Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame."?

Does it make much sense to tell a deaf man to not listen, a blind man to not see, a lame man to not walk, if he is incapable of doing so to begin with?

In the same way, does it make any sense at all to tell someone to not sin if they are incapable of sinning?

The answer is no.

Or Rom 8:1..."There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."?

Because those who are in Him are no longer under the law, but under grace (Romans 6:14), and God, has passed over sins that were previously committed... Well, I'll just let you read what Paul says:

But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets,even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference;for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus,whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed,to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus. - Romans 3:21-26 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans3:21-26&version=NKJV

Or Phil 3:15..."Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in anything ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you." ?

"Let us ... be thus minded"

You're gonna have to explain how that means that we're already perfect, when Paul is saying we should be "perfect minded."

Or Col 1:28..."Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus." ?

Perfect..... in Christ Jesus!

NOT "perfect in and of ourselves"!

It's not WE that are perfect! IT'S CHRIST! His righteousness is imputed upon us in Him.

We are righteous because HE is righteous, while our righteousness is as filthy rags!

Or 2 Tim 2:19..."Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, let everyone that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity." ?

Same as before, it makes no sense to tell someone to depart from iniquity if they're incapable of it!

To continue living in sin after Jesus conquered it in the flesh, makes His suffering and death a moot point.

No one here is saying that we should continue in sin!

What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound?Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it? - Romans 6:1-2 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans6:1-2&version=NKJV

What we're saying is that even if we DO sin, it's covered by God's grace!

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
That's all I needed! There's no way in the world Hoping is half as clever as needed to be the one who came up with that idiotic quip. That's just a parroting of something his teachers have said. Meaning that he isn't ignorant of the gospel, he simply doesn't believe it.

Hoping, you are not a Christian. You are not resting in Christ's finished work but are relying on your own righteousness. Unless you repent, you're going to be cleaning your own dirty laundry. You are going to be shocked at just how filthy your supposed sinless perfection is when you stand before the judge of all creation.

Repent! While there's life there's hope!

Clete

Hoping

Banned
It's not.
Define the difference between freedom from serving sin and freedom from sin.
It's not Gentiles.
It's those in the Body of Christ, where there is neither Jew nor Gentile.
For those in the Body of Christ, yes, they will obtain the promised eternal life, because Christ is their righteousness, not doing good works.
Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? Of works? No, but by the law of faith.Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law.Or is He the God of the Jews only? Is He not also the God of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also,since there is one God who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through faith.Do we then make void the law through faith? Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish the law. - Romans 3:27-31 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans3:27-31&version=NKJV
So the BOC, while not free from sin, will receive eternal life while still being servants of sin.
That is quite the introduction of sin into Christ.
And quite impossible.
Rather, your paradigm of beleifs doesn't allow it to make sense.
Mine, however, allows it to make perfect sense.
Of course not, as there is no sin in Christ.
Neither is there any sin in God,
As it is written..."This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all."
Darkness is sin, just as it is written in Pro 4:19..."The way of the wicked is as darkness:..."
As sinners cannot say they have fellowship with God, (1 John 1:6), they can not have fellowship with Christ either.
So Jews have to live in love but Gentiles don't and can expect the same reward.
That sort of doctrine allows the Hitlers and Putins of the world to claim they are Christians.
God can and did require different things from different people, and it was never unfair.
Those things were always obedience to Him
Why do you assume the house rules for Israel are currently in effect?
The "house rules for Jewish believers are the same for Jew or Gentile.
Turn from sin and get baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins.
And endure faithfully until the end of the world.
Anything disparate from that is an addition or subtraction from the original message.
There is only one active gospel, dispensation, currently, it's the gospel of the grace of God. This is partially my fault for not including "at different times" in my previous post.
It is a dispensation for all believers. Jew and Gentile.
The dispensation of grace to live in harmony with God...which makes bringing sin along with you incongruous.
God can do different things with different people at different times, and it is not unjust, unfair, etc.
Can, but doesn't in matters of salvation.
Yes, WE in THE BODY OF CHRIST.
Not, THEY in THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL.
You don't seem to be able to differentiate the Jewish faithful from the Jewish unbelievers.
All the faithful will be judged the same way.
Peter and the TWELVE APOSTLES, who will reign on TWELVE THRONES over the TWELVE TRIBES of Israel, are not part of the Body of Christ, no.
So the founders of the faith are not even Christians?
That is ludicrous and divisive.
Ever read Ephesians 2?
Paul was the first member, but he is not the head, Christ is the head of the Body. Paul is just a member.
You are of a different religion than I.
I am a Christian, and you are a Paulian.
I worship God and have been freed from sin.
You worship Paul and are not free from sin.
Even though Paul tells us exactly how to be dead to sin in Rom 6.
Which is talking about the BODY of Christ, not the NATION of Israel.
As Eph 2 is talking about the joining of the Gentiles with the Jews, why do you discount one half of Paul's equation?
"For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;" (Eph 2:14)
Only under the gospel of grace. But not under the New Covenant, which made (and will make when it becomes active again during the Great Tribulation) a distinction between Jew and Gentile.
Name the distinction.
Book, chapter, verse, where such thing exists.
Rom 11:24..."For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert grafted contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree?"
As Paul uses similes here, no tribal name is necessary, as the whole matter encapsulates union instead of division.
A union with Christ's people that you seem to abhor.
You cannot be grateful for being free of something you are not free from. That makes you a liar.
But I am free.
It is written..."What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
7 For he that is dead is freed from sin."
I was baptized, immersed into the death of Jesus, and into His burial.
Having done that, I was also raised with Christ to walk in newness of life.
A new creature who was born again of the seed of God and no longer under the limitations of Adam's seed.
Dead, and alive again in Christ.
Talking about those who are actually dead.
Don't you have the faith to participate in the death of your "old man"?
Does it make much sense to tell a deaf man to not listen, a blind man to not see, a lame man to not walk, if he is incapable of doing so to begin with?
In the same way, does it make any sense at all to tell someone to not sin if they are incapable of sinning?
The answer is no.
You are the proof that sinners can read.
Take the advice of Paul in 1 Cor 15:34.
Because those who are in Him are no longer under the law, but under grace (Romans 6:14), and God, has passed over sins that were previously committed... Well, I'll just let you read what Paul says:
But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets,even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference;for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus,whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed,to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus. - Romans 3:21-26 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans3:21-26&version=NKJV
Yep, the righteousness of God, which can't include sin, BTW.
If folks imagine themselves righteous while they murder, steal, and lie, they are just deceived.
How come your faith doesn't keep you free from sinning?
"Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded"
You're gonna have to explain how that means that we're already perfect, when Paul is saying we should be "perfect minded."
The prior verse was the point of the "thus".
It is written..."I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." (Phil 3:14)
Keep at it, and win in the end.
Perfect..... in Christ Jesus!
NOT "perfect in and of ourselves"!
It's not WE that are perfect! IT'S CHRIST! His righteousness is imputed upon us in Him.
We are righteous because HE is righteous, while our righteousness is as filthy rags!
If we are IN Christ Jesus, there can be no sin in us, as there is no sin in Christ...even though countless doctrines try to make it happen.
If we are in Christ, we are as righteous as He is righteous.
As it is written..."He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked." (1 John 2:6)
Do you say you are in Christ?

Same as before, it makes no sense to tell someone to depart from iniquity if they're incapable of it!
Not everyone who reads the letter has yet to depart.
Doesn't that include all the dispensationalists?
No one here is saying that we should continue in sin!
Aren't you?
As per your POV, freedom from sin is just for Jews, so the only ones who could ever be free are not Gentiles.
What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound?Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it? - Romans 6:1-2 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans6:1-2&version=NKJV
What we're saying is that even if we DO sin, it's covered by God's grace!
That is an accommodation for sin.
It is not of God.

Hoping

Banned
That's all I needed! There's no way in the world Hoping is half as clever as needed to be the one who came up with that idiotic quip. That's just a parroting of something his teachers have said. Meaning that he isn't ignorant of the gospel, he simply doesn't believe it.

Hoping, you are not a Christian. You are not resting in Christ's finished work but are relying on your own righteousness. Unless you repent, you're going to be cleaning your own dirty laundry. You are going to be shocked at just how filthy your supposed sinless perfection is when you stand before the judge of all creation.

Repent! While there's life there's hope!

Clete
As repentance from sin results in non-sinners, I am glad you understand the concept.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Define the difference between freedom from serving sin and freedom from sin.

That would take several weeks of dedicated Bible study that doesn't fit in a single post on a forum. You'd be better off just reading Bob Enyart's The Plot.

Or, just read the entire Old Testament.

So the BOC, while not free from sin, will receive eternal life

Correct. Because of what Christ did on the cross.

while still being servants of sin.

No.

We are no longer identified as slaves of sin.

Our identity is in Christ.

That is quite the introduction of sin into Christ.

Your straw man not withstanding, no. Try reading the following passage free of your a priori beliefs.

Or do you not know, brethren (for I speak to those who know the law), that the law has dominion over a man as long as he lives?For the woman who has a husband is bound by the law to her husband as long as he lives. But if the husband dies, she is released from the law of her husband.So then if, while her husband lives, she marries another man, she will be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from that law, so that she is no adulteress, though she has married another man.Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another—to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God.For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death.But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.”But sin, taking opportunity by the commandment, produced in me all manner of evil desire. For apart from the law sin was dead.I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died.And the commandment, which was to bring life, I found to bring death.For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it killed me.Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.Has then what is good become death to me? Certainly not! But sin, that it might appear sin, was producing death in me through what is good, so that sin through the commandment might become exceedingly sinful.For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin.For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do.If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good.But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find.For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice.Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good.For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man.But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin. - Romans 7:1-25 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans7:1-25&version=NKJV

Paul is telling us that even though we are saved, we still remain at war with the flesh, because we are not rid of it.

Of course not, as there is no sin in Christ.
Neither is there any sin in God,

Never said there was.

As sinners cannot say they have fellowship with God, (1 John 1:6), they can not have fellowship with Christ either.

Christians have their identity in Christ.

We are no longer sinners. That is not saying that we don't sin, nor does it mean that we are now incapable of sin.

It means that our identity is no longer that of "sinner," but rather "saved," and by Christ's shed blood.

So Jews have to live in love

"Love God" and "love your neighbor" are commands, law. For the people of the law, this is to be expected, for as Christ explained:

Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’This is the first and great commandment.And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.” - Matthew 22:37-40 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew22:37-40&version=NKJV

That's quite different from what Paul said:

For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” - Galatians 5:14 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Galatians5:14&version=NKJV

See the difference?

One is a command that must be followed.
The other is something you do without needing to be told.

but Gentiles don't and can expect the same reward.

The promises God made to Israel were only for Israel. If a Gentile, prior to Acts 9, wanted to partake in Israels corporate relationship with God, they had to circumcise and become a proselyte Jew. (Circumcision is a symbol of the law.)

On the other hand, after Paul's conversion (remember, he was a Jew), anyone who wanted to enter into a relationship with God did not (and even could not, since the New Covenant was put on hold) could do so without having to circumcise, meaning they did not have to place themselves under Israel's laws.

That sort of doctrine allows the Hitlers and Putins of the world to claim they are Christians.

False.

Those things were always obedience to Him

And? How does that in any way negate what I asked?

Again, in what way does God doing something different with different people at different times make it unfair for those who come later?

The "house rules for Jewish believers are the same for Jew or Gentile.

You still aren't getting it.

In the Body of Christ, THERE IS NEITHER JEW NOR GENTILE!

Under the New covenant, the distinction exists!

Turn from sin and get baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins.

For someone who preaches that they are incapable of sinning anymore, it's hilarious that you bring this up.

"Remission" doesn't mean something is completely gone.

It means that it's reduced!

If someone has cancer, and through treatment it starts to go into remission, it doesn't mean that the cancer leaves their body, it just means that they are no longer in danger of it taking over their body, the doctor still has to check on them for many years, to make sure it doesn't come back.

Spoiler
Understanding the Difference Between Cure and Remission

Cure means that there are no traces of your cancer after treatment and the cancer will never come back.

Remission means that the signs and symptoms of your cancer are reduced. Remission can be partial or complete. In a complete remission, all signs and symptoms of cancer have disappeared.

If you remain in complete remission for 5 years or more, some doctors may say that you are cured. Still, some cancer cells can remain in your body for many years after treatment. These cells may cause the cancer to come back one day. For cancers that return, most do so within the first 5 years after treatment. But, there is a chance that cancer will come back later. For this reason, doctors cannot say for sure that you are cured. The most they can say is that there are no signs of cancer at this time.

Because of the chance that cancer can come back, your doctor will monitor you for many years and do tests to look for signs of cancer’s return. They will also look for signs of late side effects from the cancer treatments you received.

In the same way, "remission of sins" doesn't mean that sin is eliminated, it means that the effects of sin are reduced, it means that one won't sin as often.

And endure faithfully until the end of the world.

Both of the above "requirements" were 1) part of the law, and 2) stated in the context of this verse:

But He answered and said, “I was not sent except to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” - Matthew 15:24 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew15:24&version=NKJV

Anything disparate from that is an addition or subtraction from the original message.

The "original message" was that Israel would have a kingdom ruled by Christ, with the Twelve Apostles sitting on Twelve thrones ruling over the Twelve tribes of Israel, a nation.

But the mystery revealed by Paul is that of an organism, one with many members, a new creature.

It is a dispensation for all believers. Jew and Gentile.

You're still conflating the New Covenant with the gospel of grace.

Again: In the New Covenant, there is Jew and Gentile, and the distinction is important, so important that the entire nation's history (and the world's, for that matter) revolves around the difference! However, under the dispensation of the grace of God, in the Body of Christ there is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free. As Paul says:

For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise. - Galatians 3:26-29 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Galatians3:26-29&version=NKJV

The dispensation of grace to live in harmony with God...

That won't happen until we're in heaven.

which makes bringing sin along with you incongruous.

That's the entire point I've been making, Hoping!

Christians WON'T "bring sin along with them"! THAT'S THE ENTIRE POINT OF THE GOSPEL OF GRACE! THAT'S THE ENTIRE POINT OF CHRIST GOING TO THE CROSS! When we as Christians sin, it's STILL covered by how gracious God is! No matter how many times we sin while in a relationship with Him, God has STILL FORGIVEN, PAST TENSE, US of ALL our sins!

It's what I mean by saying "our identity is in Christ!" We are no longer identified as sinners, but as saints!

Can, but doesn't in matters of salvation.

And I'm just supposed to take your word for it?!

On the contrary!

Jesus constantly told Israel that they must adhere to the law to the end of their lives.

But He, through Paul, tells us in the Body of Christ that we are already forgiven, that there's nothing we need to do to obtain salvation.

That's EXTREMELY different, AND VERY MUCH SO related to salvation!

You don't seem to be able to differentiate the Jewish faithful from the Jewish unbelievers.

That's ironic, given what you say next!

Rather, the "Jewish faithful and unfaithful" have nothing to do with the Body of Christ, but rather the New Covenant.

Those "Jewish faithful" were so because they believed Christ was their Messiah, that He was to be their King, even and especially after being crucified, then rising again on the third day, even to the end of their lives. These Jews are known as the "Remnant."

The "Jewish unfaithful" rejected Him, and because Israel as a whole rejected Him, the unbelieving portion of the nation
of Israel was cut off, to be grafted back on again whenever she returns to her Messiah.

All the faithful will be judged the same way.

You're conflating believing Jews under the New Covenant with believers who are neither Jew nor Gentile in the Body of Christ. Paul, in that verse, was talking about the latter, not the former.

So the founders of the faith are not even Christians?

They're not "founders of the faith."

They are the TWELVE Apostles who will rule on TWELVE thrones over the TWELVE tribes of Israel. Their salvation is of the New Covenant, not the gospel of grace.

Those who entered into a covenant relationship with God under the New Covenant didn't need to enter into a second relationship with Him through the gospel of grace, and were told to remain faithful to the end under the New Covenant.

Also, Paul warned those in the Body of Christ that if they put themselves under the law then they would become cursed to keep that law.

That is ludicrous

Appeal to the stone.

and divisive.

Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. - 2 Timothy 2:15 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2Timothy2:15&version=NKJV

That's what I'm doing.

You, on the other hand, are just mashing everything up in the Bible and saying it's all the same

Ever read Ephesians 2?

Yup.

You are of a different religion than I.

That much is obvious.

I am a Christian,

No, you're not. You need to humble yourself and ask God for forgiveness, and place your trust in Him and his righteousness, and not yourself and your own righteousness.

and you are a Paulian.

No, I simply rightly divide scripture.

Now I say this, that each of you says, “I am of Paul,” or “I am of Apollos,” or “I am of Cephas,” or “I am of Christ.”Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? - 1 Corinthians 1:12-13 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1Corinthians1:12-13&version=NKJV

I worship God

You worship yourself, putting yourself on Christ's pedestal.

and have been freed from sin.

Lying is a sin. Stop lying.

You worship Paul

Bearing false witness is a sin. Stop bearing false witness against me.

and are not free from sin.

I still have not received a glorified body, and thus I still sin.

But as someone in Christ, I am no longer identified as a sinner, but as saved.

Even though Paul tells us exactly how to be dead to sin in Rom 6.

If that's what you think, then you've completely misunderstood Romans 6, and the entire gospel he preached.

As Eph 2 is talking about the joining of the Gentiles with the Jews,

It's not.

Again:

Do not lie to one another, since you have put off the old man with his deeds,and have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him,where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcised nor uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave nor free, but Christ is all and in all. - Colossians 3:9-11 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Colossians3:9-11&version=NKJV

why do you discount one half of Paul's equation?

Says the one claiming there is Jew and Greek in the Body of Christ...

"For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;" (Eph 2:14)

Supra.

Name the distinction.

Jew, and Greek (Gentile)

That should have been obvious.

Rom 11:24..."For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert grafted contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree?"

There's nothing here that says anything about tribes, even figuratively.

It wasn't tribes that were cut off of the natural fig tree, it was the unbelieving portion of Israel.

Try again.

As Paul uses similes here, no tribal name is necessary, as the whole matter encapsulates union instead of division.

Did you forget that there's still only twelve tribes in the Bible?

Funny how despite you claiming that you're part of some 13th tribe, that the Bible never calls the Body of Christ a tribe, nor mentions one.

A union with Christ's people

Wrong.

We are joined to Christ, not to Israel.

Many people misunderstand and think that the gentiles are grafted into Israel, but that's not what the analogy Paul uses describes.

Israel are the branches on the olive tree, not the trunk. The wild branch (believers in the Body of Christ) wasn't grafted onto another branch, it was grafted onto the trunk, who is Christ!

that you seem to abhor.

In what way do I abhor them?

But I am free.

Says the man who binds himself in chains.

It is written..."What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
7 For he that is dead is freed from sin."

AMEN!

I was baptized, immersed into the death of Jesus, and into His burial.
Having done that, I was also raised with Christ to walk in newness of life.
A new creature who was born again of the seed of God and no longer under the limitations of Adam's seed.
Dead, and alive again in Christ.

Was it your baptism that saved you?

Don't you have the faith to participate in the death of your "old man"?

I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good.For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man.But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin. - Romans 7:21-25 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans7:21-25&version=NKJV

You are the proof that sinners can read.

Ad hominem.

Take the advice of Paul in 1 Cor 15:34.

Again, it doesn't make any sense to tell someone who is incapable of sin to not sin.

Yep, the righteousness of God, which can't include sin, BTW.
If folks imagine themselves righteous while they murder, steal, and lie, they are just deceived.

Duh.

How come your faith doesn't keep you free from sinning?

Begging the question. You have not established that faith can keep one free from sinning.

The prior verse was the point of the "thus".
It is written..."I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." (Phil 3:14)

Even the best runners stumble and fall.

Keep at it, and win in the end.

My victory is in Christ who has already achieved victory, not my own feeble attempts at perfection.

If we are IN Christ Jesus, there can be no sin in us,

I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good.For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man.But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin. - Romans 7:21-25 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans7:21-25&version=NKJV

as there is no sin in Christ...

Duh.

even though countless doctrines try to make it happen.

Not mine.

If we are in Christ, we are as righteous as He is righteous.

Not quite.

If we are in Christ, His righteousness is imputed to us. We are MADE righteous, justified, not because we ourselves are righteous (our righteousness is as filthy rags), but because Christ is righteous.

As it is written..."He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked." (1 John 2:6)

This was written to the twelve tribes scattered abroad.

Not to the Body of Christ.

Do you say you are in Christ?

Supra.

Not everyone who reads the letter has yet to depart.

Paul is writing to believers, the same people whom you claim are incapable of sinning. My point stands.

Doesn't that include all the dispensationalists?

Loaded question.

Aren't you?

Nope.

That's one of the litmus tests for seeing who actually preaches the gospel! If you aren't being accused of telling people it's fine to sin, that grace may abound, then you're not actually preaching what Paul taught, because it's almost like he's actually saying that! But he's not. He's saying that you shouldn't sin, but if you do, it's already been forgiven.

As per your POV, freedom from sin is just for Jews,

No, as per my position, freedom from SERVING sin is for the Jews under the New Covenant.

Remember, the law given to Israel accounted for the fact that people were going to sin, and had ways for people who DID break the law, to become right with God, through sacrifices and rituals.

Under the New Covenant, Christ WAS the sacrifice.

so the only ones who could ever be free are not Gentiles.

Under the New Covenant, yes, hence why if a Gentile wanted to be free, he had to circumcise and keep the law.

But we're not under the New Covenant. We're under grace, not law, no circumcision required.

That is an accommodation for sin.

No.

It's saying that God's grace and love for us is greater than our sin, that He met the demands for justice by dying on the cross FOR US!:

For when we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die.But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him.For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.And not only that, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received the reconciliation. - Romans 5:6-11 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans5:6-11&version=NKJV

Christ took our place.

It is not of God.

Liar.

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
As repentance from sin results in non-sinners, I am glad you understand the concept.
And that's the full extent of the substance Hoping is capable of. Pathetic. How can anyone trust their eternal soul to something so pathetically shallow?

Actually, this is only slightly lower than the average level of rationality and substance produced by all but a small handful of people on this website.

What in the world am I doing here?