ECT What are the works of the Law?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
It transliterates as "secondary law" I should think...

What was the purpose of your question?

Arsenios
When I think of what book talks about the Law I don't know why I think of Deuteronomy. Leviticus sounds like it should be for the Levites, but you have shown that this is not absolutely true (you have shown that more than the Levites are involved (in the book of Leviticus)).

Arsenios

When I think of what book talks about the Law I don't know why I think of Deuteronomy. Leviticus sounds like it should be for the Levites, but you have shown that this is not absolutely true (you have shown that more than the Levites are involved (in the book of Leviticus)).

I must tell you straight up, Old Testament is not my baileywick at all... I have been being dragged into it tail first of late... I was only thinking of the Levitical Priesthood, and the righteous father of John the Baptist who served in the Temple and was killed on its steps, whom Christ accused the Pharisees of murdering...

Arsenios

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I must tell you straight up, Old Testament is not my baileywick at all... I have been being dragged into it tail first of late... I was only thinking of the Levitical Priesthood, and the righteous father of John the Baptist who served in the Temple and was killed on its steps, whom Christ accused the Pharisees of murdering...

Arsenios
That is not what I was thinking.

But I do see that the book of Leviticus is related to the priesthood or to Levi (the Levites).

We (or, you) have shown it is not only about the Levitical priests.

Arsenios

That is not what I was thinking.

But I do see that the book of Leviticus is related to the priesthood or to Levi (the Levites).

We (or, you) have shown it is not only about the Levitical priests.

The priests served the Israelites, and God gave the Laws to Moses for them to serve in... And I guess I inadvertently hit the passages that showed God telling Moses it was for all Israel...

Just a lucky accident!

I am glad it was helpful...

Arsenios

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The priests served the Israelites, and God gave the Laws to Moses for them to serve in... And I guess I inadvertently hit the passages that showed God telling Moses it was for all Israel...

Just a lucky accident!

I am glad it was helpful...

Arsenios
There is a law associated with the priesthood. Is this the only law for the people of Israel? Were they serving God or Israel?

I don't know how to explain this from the book of Hebrews. A priesthood is mentioned. A law is mentioned.

turbosixx

There is a law associated with the priesthood. Is this the only law for the people of Israel? Were they serving God or Israel?

I don't know how to explain this from the book of Hebrews. A priesthood is mentioned. A law is mentioned.

Heb. 7:11 Now if perfection was through the Levitical priesthood (for on the basis of it the people received the Law),

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I must tell you straight up, Old Testament is not my baileywick at all...

Matthew 22

37 Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Nick M,

Some people think the works of the law are just sacrifices. You think it is more than that.

23 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone. 24 Blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel!

Deuteronomy 6

5And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy mind, and with all thy soul, and all thy strength. 6 And these words, all that I command thee this day, shall be in thy heart and in thy soul. .

Leviticus 19

17 Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, so thou shalt not bear sin on his account. 18 And thy hand shall not avenge thee; and thou shalt not be angry with the children of thy people; and thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself; I am the Lord.

Matthew 22

36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?”

37 Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

How about just going with what the Bible clearly teaches?

Galatians 5

3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law.

James 2

10 For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
How about just going with what the Bible clearly teaches?

Galatians 5

3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law.

James 2

10 For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all.
Amen.

Some might discover they are guilty (as we all are) and see their need for the Savior, Jesus Christ.

Guilt is not a reason to not obey God.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
But Adam's disobedience and death...
And Christ's obedience and Life...

Should be reason enough...
IF...
One is willing to follow Christ...

Arsenios
Romans 5:17 NASB - For if by the transgression of the one, death reigned through the one, much more those who receive the abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.

Romans 5:18 NASB - So then as through one transgression there resulted condemnation to all men, even so through one act of righteousness there resulted justification of life to all men.

Romans 5:19 NASB - For as through the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, even so through the obedience of the One the many will be made righteous.