ECT What are the works of the Law?

turbosixx

The only command I don't keep is wearing tzit-tzit. I was told by a Jew that Gentiles do not need to. Though I am circumcised and keep the Law in the United States of America.

If you view your circumcision in keeping with the law then what do you make of this?

Gal. 5:1 It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery. 2Behold I, Paul, say to you that if you receive circumcision, Christ will be of no benefit to you. 3And I testify again to every man who receives circumcision, that he is under obligation to keep the whole Law. 4 You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

turbosixx

There is no animal sacrifice. In fact there is no temple. It was destroyed as Jesus said it would be.

I don't know at this time if there will be a future temple. That is another discussion. You are asking about commands in the law. Sacrifices were for the temple only.

It is part of the law. But it is not part of the law that can be kept today.

Does that make sense?

So if there was a temple would you go and offer animal sacrifices?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
If you view your circumcision in keeping with the law then what do you make of this?

Gal. 5:1 It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery. 2Behold I, Paul, say to you that if you receive circumcision, Christ will be of no benefit to you. 3And I testify again to every man who receives circumcision, that he is under obligation to keep the whole Law. 4 You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.
Circumcision was viewed as that which separates Jew from Gentile.

I view it as a command of God. Some are circumcised and some are not. For those who are circumcised, may it be of and for God.

1 Corinthians 7:19 NASB - Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but what matters is the keeping of the commandments of God.

I know I am circumcised. For me that is all that matters. I cannot uncircumcise myself, and I actually do not see that there would be any profit in so doing even if it were possible.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
So if there was a temple would you go and offer animal sacrifices?
That is a great question. I need to do more Bible study on that question. I do not know how to answer that specific question at this time.

I have spent some time thinking about it, but the results of my thinking are inconclusive.

One, I live in the United States. Two, I know there is no temple and no temple sacrifice therefore of a certainty. Three, I know that even after the death of Christ there was temple sacrifice, including that which the Apostle Paul was involved with according to the book of Acts. I don't know how to interpret Ezekiel at this time. I would need to understand more from that book to know if it speaks of a future temple. Or, apart from the book of Ezekiel the question would still remain for me about if the temple is to be rebuilt (I don't personally know from where anyone would say so).

I believe in the finished work of Christ for our salvation, the forgiveness of sins, when He gave His life and died upon the cross.

I also believe that He defeated death, rising from the dead never to die again.

turbosixx

That is a great question. I need to do more Bible study on that question. I do not know how to answer that specific question at this time.

I have spent some time thinking about it, but the results of my thinking are inconclusive.

One, I live in the United States. Two, I know there is no temple and no temple sacrifice therefore of a certainty. Three, I know that even after the death of Christ there was temple sacrifice, including that which the Apostle Paul was involved with according to the book of Acts. I don't know how to interpret Ezekiel at this time. I would need to understand more from that book to know if it speaks of a future temple. Or, apart from the book of Ezekiel the question would still remain for me about if the temple is to be rebuilt (I don't personally know from where anyone would say so).

I believe in the finished work of Christ for our salvation, the forgiveness of sins, when He gave His life and died upon the cross.

I also believe that He defeated death, rising from the dead never to die again.

I'm sure you've heard enough from me. I would suggest reading the book of Hebrews it might help to put things in perspective.

I would be glad to answer any questions you might have. I wish you the best in your studies.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I'm sure you've heard enough from me. I would suggest reading the book of Hebrews it might help to put things in perspective.

I would be glad to answer any questions you might have. I wish you the best in your studies.
Thank you. I accept all of the Bible as inspired of/by God, including the book of Hebrews.

The idea that the work of Christ is completed or fulfilled in the cross, and that it is a finished work, can be attributed to the book of Hebrews. I do not know who the author is, but this might be what you are thinking of.

Hebrews 7:27 NASB - who does not need daily, like those high priests, to offer up sacrifices, first for His own sins and then for the sins of the people, because this He did once for all when He offered up Himself.

Am I correct that this is at least one verse in the book of Hebrews that you would point to?

turbosixx

Thank you. I accept all of the Bible as inspired of/by God, including the book of Hebrews.

The idea that the work of Christ is completed or fulfilled in the cross, and that it is a finished work, can be attributed to the book of Hebrews. I do not know who the author is, but this might be what you are thinking of.

Hebrews 7:27 NASB - who does not need daily, like those high priests, to offer up sacrifices, first for His own sins and then for the sins of the people, because this He did once for all when He offered up Himself.

Am I correct that this is at least one verse in the book of Hebrews that you would point to?

Yes sir. All the bible is true.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Yes sir. All the bible is true.
From Genesis to Revelation. The TaNaKh (Hebrew Bible; Scripture) is the scripture Paul spoke of in 2 Timothy 3:16-17 NASB. It begins with Genesis and ends with Chronicles, and has the same books as the Christian "Old Testament".

Arsenios

Abraham is in the book of Genesis while Moses 430 years later came after the book of Genesis. The covenant being spoken of appears to be that which was with Abraham, while the Law being spoken of is the Law given by God through the prophet Moses to the people of Israel. Is it the Ten Commandments (the Ten Commandments were written by God, not Moses) or is it more than that (to include that or not)? The first five books of the Bible are often called the Law of Moses. This is either true or it is not. It may be true in a different way than as I once thought. That is, Genesis was written either at the time of Moses (because God's name is revealed to Moses and the people of Israel as recorded in Exodus 6:3 NASB, and God's name IS found in the book of Genesis which records events prior to Moses) or following (at least his death must have been written (in Deuteronomy) following his death. There was something Moses wrote at God's command in addition to God writing the Ten Words on tablets of stone. The Law of Moses, or the Torah, can be referring to the first five books of the Bible, which some Christians call the Pentateuch. The Ten Commandments may be spoken of as the Law of Moses, I think I am just getting technical and seeing how people might see it. Obviously Moses delivered them to the people.

I think all one has to do is read Leviticus to know which Law was the Law of the Jews to which Paul was referring...

Arsenios

Arsenios

I actually believe he was writing to Gentile believers. Is this important for you or would you object to this statement?

IF he was writing to gentile believers, then why would he be exhorting them NOT TO GO BACK to the Levitical Law? [Never having had it in the first place.]

Arsenios

Arsenios

Why do you say that?

Because that is the Book that prescribes the Law for the Circumcision...

Lev 1:1-2
And the LORD called unto Moses,
and spake unto him out of the tabernacle of the congregation,
saying,
Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them,
If any man of you bring an offering unto the LORD,
ye shall bring your offering of the cattle,
even of the herd,
and of the flock.

And it continues on, for example:

Lev 20:1-22
And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
Again, thou shalt say to the children of Israel,Whosoever he be of the children of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn in Israel,
that giveth any of his seed unto Molech;
he shall surely be put to death:
the people of the land
shall stone him with stones.

This is the Law of Israel...

Straight out of the Bood of Leviticus...

Arsenios

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
IF he was writing to gentile believers, then why would he be exhorting them NOT TO GO BACK to the Levitical Law? [Never having had it in the first place.]

Arsenios
Why do you say Levitical Law? Leviticus is one of five books that begin the scriptures.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Because that is the Book that prescribes the Law for the Circumcision...

Lev 1:1-2
And the LORD called unto Moses,
and spake unto him out of the tabernacle of the congregation,
saying,
Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them,
If any man of you bring an offering unto the LORD,
ye shall bring your offering of the cattle,
even of the herd,
and of the flock.

And it continues on, for example:

Lev 20:1-22
And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
Again, thou shalt say to the children of Israel,Whosoever he be of the children of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn in Israel,
that giveth any of his seed unto Molech;
he shall surely be put to death:
the people of the land
shall stone him with stones.

This is the Law of Israel...

Arsenios
There is instruction for Israel beyond just the Levites here in the book of Leviticus.

Arsenios

Why do you say Levitical Law? Leviticus is one of five books that begin the scriptures.

Please re-read my post, because I added to it...

Leviticus is the Book of the Levitical Priesthood where Moses gave the Levitical Law to Israel...

Arsenios

Edited to add: I just saw that you did so already...

A.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned

Arsenios
What does the word Deuteronomy mean? Do you understand my question?

Omniskeptical

BANNED
Banned
The labors/works of the law are nothing more than the attempt by a law to correct an individual. But an individual without faith will not obey.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The labors/works of the law are nothing more than the attempt by a law to correct an individual. But an individual without faith will not obey.
Is this about unbelievers or even believers?

Romans 8:7 NASB - because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so,

Would you say that those with their min set on the flesh are unregenerate (not born again)?