What am I?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
And the reason for that is because I don't talk about my own credentials or status, because it doesn't matter. I talk about Peter. Peter matters: Jesus said so.

Daniel

let's talk about peter
did he put someone in charge?
who is in charge now?

Dan Emanuel

let's talk about peter
did he put someone in charge?
who is in charge now?
God chooses his successor, God chose Francis. And Francis says, "Read Peters books." How do I know that? Because Francis has not said to not read Peters books. So we know that Peters books are good.

Daniel

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
God chooses his successor, God chose Francis. And Francis says, "Read Peters books." How do I know that? Because Francis has not said to not read Peters books. So we know that Peters books are good.

Daniel

good to hear

so why aren't you talking about francis?

Dan Emanuel

interesting

so francis is taking peter's place
but
not Jesus' place?
Of course. The job of shepherding the flock was Christs at first, and still is, only because Christ Himself chose Peter to assume this particular position upon His ascension. Those who reject Peter have no pastor, they are sheep without a shepherd, even while they believe in Christ. Peter is Christs own earthly substitute...vicar, you might say...while He sits on His throne in heaven beside the Father. And Peter says that his power is in teaching the Christian faith, this is shepherding, pastoring, and feeding the flock of Christs own sheep, His Church. Us, who believe in Him. Its a job, a position, an office, a chair.

Daniel

musterion

I've said I'm not, and never have been, Catholic. Now I'm going to say that I am being honest in so saying. So now, if it turns out I'm lying, its a double lie.

I am not Catholic. I have never been Catholic. I'm not lying.

Daniel

Why your affinity for idol beads and vain repetition?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Of course. The job of shepherding the flock was Christs at first, and still is, only because Christ Himself chose Peter to assume this particular position upon His ascension. Those who reject Peter have no pastor, they are sheep without a shepherd, even while they believe in Christ. Peter is Christs own earthly substitute...vicar, you might say...while He sits on His throne in heaven beside the Father. And Peter says that his power is in teaching the Christian faith, this is shepherding, pastoring, and feeding the flock of Christs own sheep, His Church. Us, who believe in Him. Its a job, a position, an office, a chair.

Daniel

this is good

this is really good

they are going to think we invented you

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber

Daniel

Feeding the flock is not shepherding the flock, Christ has not appointed ANYBODY to substitute for Him in that ministry.

I am not being pedantic.

In that same portion in which Christ bids Peter to "feed His sheep" Peter looked behind and saw that disciple which Jesus loved and asked "what about this man" Jesus replied in effect "mind your own business"

"If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to you? you follow Me"

Peter said writing to the new converts "You were straying like sheep but now have been returned to the great Shepherd of your souls."

The LORD is my Shepherd....I shall not want a pope.

IMJerusha

Daniel

There is no verifiable proof of Apostolic succession, Dan. That being said, I can not imagine any Christian rejecting Peter for any reason, however, there are also no words of Yeshua's recorded establishing Peter as the Head of the Church, only a foundational rock of faith. Yeshua is the only Head of the Church and by His blood we are able to directly approach God's Throne; we need no earthly representation.

Dan Emanuel

Feeding the flock is not shepherding the flock, Christ has not appointed ANYBODY to substitute for Him in that ministry.

I am not being pedantic.

In that same portion in which Christ bids Peter to "feed His sheep" Peter looked behind and saw that disciple which Jesus loved and asked "what about this man" Jesus replied in effect "mind your own business"

"If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to you? you follow Me"

Peter said writing to the new converts "You were straying like sheep but now have been returned to the great Shepherd of your souls."

The LORD is my Shepherd....I shall not want a pope.
Peter the shepherd helped me while I was out among the wolves. E.g., while I was believing that I have no free will.

Daniel

Dan Emanuel

There is no verifiable proof of Apostolic succession, Dan.
Well of course they're is. But that doesn't matter because Peters own succession is abundantly clear, even to this day.
That being said, I can not imagine any Christian rejecting Peter for any reason, however, there are also no words of Yeshua's recorded establishing Peter as the Head of the Church.
I see it very differently. Next to Jesus, Peter is the main character in each Gospel account. And Peter was told, "Feed My sheep."
Yeshua is the only Head of the Church.
Thats what Peter says.

Daniel

IMJerusha

Well of course they're is. But that doesn't matter because Peters own succession is abundantly clear, even to this day.

Scripture please, wherein Yeshua laid hands on and anointed Peter to be the Head of the Church on earth. Yeshua never did this so why establish a tradition when the first in the line is not established in Scripture? The established tradition of the Aaronic priesthood is over with our Priest in the order of Melchizedek.

I see it very differently. Next to Jesus, Peter is the main character in each Gospel account. And Peter was told, "Feed My sheep."

We have each been given the commission, Dan, not just to spread God's message but also to feed and uplift one another.

Thats what Peter says. Daniel

So why seek to establish Peter as an earthly shepherd of greater importance than the rest of the Body when we have but One Shepherd in Whom we are to remain?

That's a nice sentiment. Probably as true as anything I'll read on here.

To me that is a large question. One I've been trying to work my way through for years.
Specifically I feel lost at the moment because I was listening to an instructional video that led me to picture my lost fiancée. Then I picked up a magazine, turned to a random page, and the headline had her name in it.
A striking coincidence perhaps... or yet another sign that I'm supposed to get meaning out of, which I fail to understand.
You can't explain everything that happens when it happens. That's not God's way. I broke-up with my fiance when I was a senior in college. We had the date set, the church picked out, met with the priest and everything. But things went horribly wrong and I wasn't adult enough to deal with marriage and the prospect of Viet Nam. I wasn't there for her and she could not understand the stress I was going through. We broke up and I only sporatically dated over the next eight years. As it turned out, I was 4F for military duty, couldn't even enlist. I met my future wife about 2 months after I was dumped by another girl I dated for 2+ weeks. I went on an ten state road trip in between to clear my head. My wife and I have been happily married for 35 years, and with the Holy Spirit's work on my behaft for my wife, I am a Christian today.

A year or two ago I decided to find out what happened to the girl I once loved in High School and College. As it turns out, she married the next door neighbor's son on the date we had the Catholic Church reserved for. I also found out she died in 2004 under her original surname. That's as much as I needed to know. I went through much depression when we first broke up and years after. I self-medicated with alcohol, which would be a common practice till I met my wife. But things happen for a reason and God's plan for my life is what I want. Praise God, The Holy Spirit and Jesus Christ.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Peter the shepherd helped me while I was out among the wolves. E.g., while I was believing that I have no free will.

Daniel

Aw you don't think li'l Totty is a wolfette do you? I can deliver a sharp nip but I rarely tear anybody apart.

People as don't believe in human freewill do positively believe in GOD'S sovereign will....how will that make them wolves?