Was Jesus real?

jzeidler

What is your opinion? Was there a historical Jesus? If so who was he? If not what evidence do you have that Jesus wasn't real. Keep the discussion civil. I look forward to reading your posts.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
What is your opinion? Was there a historical Jesus? If so who was he? If not what evidence do you have that Jesus wasn't real. Keep the discussion civil. I look forward to reading your posts.

only a suggestion, read one of the gospels. maybe the gospel of John and absorb every word. hear the writer and hear the words of Jesus Christ Our Lord and Saviour. then read Romans and continue.

that's the best evidence you will find and YES Jesus is real and Is the Son of God - John 3:16 KJV -

1 Corinthians 15:1-2 KJV

1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Stuu

There were probably many Jewish preachers called Jesus in ancient Palestine.

As aikido7 says, the consensus is that there was one in particular who was real, and was the subject of Judeo-christian writing. It appears reasonable to suppose that he was executed for political stirring. The gospel writers had to invent so much history to put Jesus in the right place at the right time to fulfill Jewish prophecy that it is pretty obvious they had a real person in mind: they just had to invent his back-story. If the Jesus figure was entirely fictional they would not have needed to invent historical inaccuracies like the wrong reign of Herod and the ridiculous suggestion that a family would have to return to their home town to complete a Roman census.

Can we know reliably anything of what Jesus said or did? Of course not. If you were to write a history essay using the NT as your only source, you should surely deserve to fail. There is no corroboration of the actions and words of Jesus outside the bible, save mentions by Josephus or Tacitus who were really reporting what christians had told them about their beliefs.

So, here's to Jesus. Shame about all the nasty statements the gospel writers put in his mouth all those years later. He must be spinning in his grave.

Stuart

Caino

BANNED
Banned
Absolutely, yes! But it is true and to be expected that some facts about this miraculous person were not accurately recalled or preserved. Luke relied on eye witness accounts many years after the events depicted.

In my belief based on the latest claim of revealed truth, The Urantia Book, Jesus was born in 7 BC under the reign of Herod the Great who tried to have him killed after learning of the birth of the expected "king of the Jews" from the 3 Magi who were in town in search of "the light of the world" having learned of the impending birth from a "seer" in Ur.

Caesar Augustus decreed that all the citizens of the empire were to be "numbered" in the month of March 8 BC. This caused considerable controversy among the Jews who opposed numbering, thus the census was delayed by 1 year in the Palestinian kingdom of Herod (The Great) who died in 4 BC. Herod Antipater known as "Antipas" was the Herod who ruled throughout the rest of Jesus' life and subsequent public ministry up until the tragic rejection and death.

In my belief Jesus was born August 21, 7 B.C in "the caravan stables, hewn out of the side of the rock and situated just below the inn, had been cleared of animals and cleaned up for the reception of lodgers."

Zeke

Not as a singular individual among flesh, seeing that role played by Jesus was the spirit that lights everyone that comes into this kingdom of matter to experience contrasts, a Divine school of the Gods off springs restricted to this kingdoms laws.

The only place you will find that truth is within where none of the ethnic labels or gender apply, only the literal mentality looks in the literal clouds for their coming salvation when it was, is, and always will be in each temple of God.

rexlunae

I find it hard to believe that there was such a person. If there was, at the least, his life was extensively fictionalized, based on the Gospels.

rexlunae

Roman State docs.

About the best that I know if is Tacitus, the Roman historian.

"Consequently, to get rid of the report, Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judæa, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their centre and become popular. Accordingly, an arrest was first made of all who pleaded guilty; then, upon their information, an immense multitude was convicted, not so much of the crime of firing the city, as of hatred against mankind".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacitus_on_Christ

I don't find it all that compelling as an attestation to the historicity, being a full century after the events depicted in the Gospels, but many do.

chair

It is very likely that there was a Rabbi with somewhat different ideas who had followers. Probably were more than one of those. Hebrew names that could be translated into "Jesus" are common, so to mean it seems very likely that there was such a Rabbi Jesus.

Does this make the NT figure "Jesus" historical? Yes, but in a very limited sense.