ECT True or False question (Billy Graham)

True or False question (Billy Graham)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

glorydaz

Indeed! And what if we don't heed that calling? What if we don't take that first step of obedience?

Don't you see? There is no belief in Jesus without obeying His command to believe. And there's no obedience unless we believe that He can command us.

You can't separate the two.

Trust and Obey, for there's no other way.

You're talking about the obedience of faith. :thumb:

Romans 16:25-27
25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,

26 But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:

27 To God only wise, be glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen.​

And God chose the worst Christ hater of them all to bring this Gospel to the world.

God's Truth

You're talking about the obedience of faith. :thumb:

Romans 16:25-27
25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,

26 But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:

27 To God only wise, be glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen.​

And God chose the worst Christ hater of them all to bring this Gospel to the world.

Jesus is the good news, not Paul.

Paul would not like the things you say about him.

Derf

Hold on.

I had asked .....

How much control of your flesh have you given to the Holy Spirit?

All or just a portion?

Your answer may help you figure out why EVERYONE still sins after being saved and sealed.

Yes, indeed. Yet Paul still says to "yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness."

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes, indeed. Yet Paul still says to "yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness."
I'm sorry, but I would sure like an answer.
All, or just a portion, (and we can add) or none?

I keep hearing about this "control" of the Holy Spirit and I wanna know more about how this control works.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
That good work has not been completed in me. My flesh still wants its own way. My mind/heart wants to follow Christ.

There are quite a few fleshly things I've learned to control with the Spirit's help, by walking in the Spirit.

But my flesh is not sinning now as much as it used to. The Spirit, praise the Lord, is making progress in me!

Have you not given the Holy Spirit ANY control over your flesh? When are you going to? Do you really sin just as much today as when you first believed? Do you not believe that Jesus Christ has the power to save us from sin?

You are so honest Christian.

You are blessed:)

meshak

BANNED
Banned
This issue is not as complicated as all are making it.

The work has been done.

Yes, Jesus' mission for His Father is done.

That does not mean His followers' job is done. When you accept Him as your Lord and Savior, He has tons of work for you.

Do you agree?

[MENTION=16688]Danoh[/MENTION]

glorydaz

Salvation is life long endeavor.

Jesus says to be faithful until the end.

Maybe for those who trust in their own faithfulness,

but for those others who are saved by Grace through Faith, it is an immediate event. Because it is not our faithfulness that saves us.

1 Thessalonians 5:23-25
23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Maybe for those who trust in their own faithfulness,

but for those others who are saved by Grace through Faith, it is an immediate event. Because it is not our faithfulness that saves us.

1 Thessalonians 5:23-25
23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

suit yourself.

peace.

Derf

I'm sorry, but I would sure like an answer.
All, or just a portion, (and we can add) or none?

I keep hearing about this "control" of the Holy Spirit and I wanna know more about how this control works.

How do you measure something like that? Add one tablespoon of flesh to a cup of Holy Spirit? Or is it vice versa (pun intended).

And don't we sometime wrest control back from the Spirit?

The best I can say is that when we are walking in the Spirit, the Spirit produces fruit in our lives. Fruit like love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self control.

And Paul says we should actively "walk in the Spirit", so that we don't give in to the flesh:
[This] I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. [Gal 5:16-17 KJV]

meshak

BANNED
Banned
How do you measure something like that? Add one tablespoon of flesh to a cup of Holy Spirit? Or is it vice versa (pun intended).

The best I can say is that when we are walking in the Spirit, the Spirit produces fruit in our lives. Fruit like love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self control.

And Paul says we should actively "walk in the Spirit", so that we don't give in to the flesh:
[This] I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. [Gal 5:16-17 KJV]

well said:)

Bradley D

He covers our sins by cleansing our hearts through the Spirit to be more like his. Justifying us before God. God wants to see the life of his son through us and not see us lusting after the flesh and this world of sin. Those in Christ turn away from sin, and Jesus has showed us the way to do it, he's the perfect example to follow.

The Apostle Paul wrote of his dealings with temptation.

"So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful natured a slave to the law of sin. (Romans 7:21-25)

Even Christians have to deal with temptation and sin. Therefore I must always be on the alert!

marhig

Hold on there ......

Since you are the one that brought up asking for the Holy Spirit's control, why haven't you answered as to whether the Holy Spirit has control of you when you sin????
Which is it, you in control of you when you sin or the Holy Spirit in control of you when you sin?
The Holy Spirit is in control of me, but I'm still in this flesh also so I do sin but I would find it very very hard to purposely sin anymore. If we have the Spirit of truth then we should be being guided to turn from sin. I'm overcoming my flesh daily as God gives me the power through Christ by the Spirit. I'm not perfect, I still sin but I really hope not wilfully. And what I mean by that is, I might say or do something wrong then realise and I know it's a sin and I go to God and pray for forgiveness and try and put it right if I can, but I can't be deceptive, I can't purposely wilfully lie before God, I can't wilfully do what I know is wrong before God. I fear God too much. And from reading the Bible I know that is wrong to wilfully sin before God. And I know that it's better for me to be honest than to lie or cheat because God is no fool, he won't be mocked, and he chastises us, just as a natural loving father does when he chastises his children in the right way. So it's better to suffer for doing right and deny ourselves to live by the will of God, than for doing wrong and listening to Satan and to be overcome by him through lust.

I listen to my conscience as I know that God is guiding me, without God I wouldn't even see my sin and I would be tossed too and fro by Satan. But I know that God is with me, and through Christ he is helping me to turn from sin. I couldn't do it without him.

I believe that to wilfully sin is to go against God, and those walking in the Spirit should be finding it very hard to purposely sin, the stronger we become in God, the less we should be doing so, the Holy Spirit cleanses our hearts, and Christ casts our devils and helps us to overcome them.

Just read those verses I quoted, they clearly show us is wrong to purposely sin.

And there's these

1 John 4

Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world

James 4:7 - Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

Galatians 5:16 - This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law. Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

James 1:15 - Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

Those who walk in the Spirit are to obey God and turn from sin when they know it's wrong before God to do what they do, we are to listen to our conscience which should be strong when we belong to God. Many seem to suggest that it doesn't matter what they do, their sins are covered, but God does mind what we do when we know him and know the truth, and he won't be mocked.

glorydaz

The Holy Spirit is in control of me, but I'm still in this flesh also so I do sin but I would find it very very hard to purposely sin anymore. If we have the Spirit of truth then we should be being guided to turn from sin. I'm overcoming my flesh daily as God gives me the power through Christ by the Spirit. I'm not perfect, I still sin but I really hope not wilfully. And what I mean by that is,

That you are not dead to sin. You do no reckon yourself dead to sin. You give yourself an out...

Obsessed with sin....sin sin everywhere. :popcorn:

God's Truth

"So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful natured a slave to the law of sin. (Romans 7:21-25)

Even Christians have to deal with temptation and sin. Therefore I must always be on the alert!

I just want to tell you that in Romans 7, Paul was speaking of what it is like for someone under the law and without faith.

Romans 7:1 1 Do you not know, brothers and sisters—for I am speaking to those who know the law—that the law has authority over someone only as long as that person lives?

Note that later Paul speaks too of after being saved how he cannot do the bad he wants in the flesh because the Spirit is there against it.

Galatians 5:17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want.

So we see that after a person is saved they have the Holy Spirit so that we are not to do whatever we want.

So again, before being saved:

Romans 7:5 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

After being saved:

Galatians 5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

Lon

well said:)
Agree, good post.

Nothing here about salvation, but about our walk. We walk because we want to be effective. We walk because we want to be like our Savior. We don't walk to gain or keep unmerited favor. Ephesians 2:8,9 Galatians 1:6 Romans 3:24 2 Timothy 1:9 1 Corinthians 4:7 That said, I agree, we walk in the Spirit and there is benefit from doing so both in our and others' lives. 1 Corinthians 12 is about body life. Romans 12:5

marhig

And the Lord had not yet appeared to Paul with the Gospel of Grace. :nono:

Nope, the wrong side of the cross is thinking you have a cross to bear, instead of trusting in our Lord's work on the Cross.
We do have a cross to bear, and those that truly follow Christ take up their cross daily, they start to deny their flesh, they partake in the sufferings of Christ, and they live by the will of God and obey him. Jesus said, that those not willing to take up their cross are not worthy of him.We can't live by the lusts of our flesh and please God. Either we let God in when we hear the truth to help in us to overcome our flesh and start to put sin to death within us, or deny him and we obey the lusts of our flesh and let Satan overcome us and let sin put us to death.

We can't have both, and the condition of our hearts will show in our lives, whether we are living by will of God and producing the fruits of the Spirit, or whether we are living by the lusts of the flesh and producing the works thereof.

A garden is overcome if the thorns and thistles grow out of control and take over and are not removed, and our heart will be overcome if Christ isn't with us helping us to overcome our flesh by the power of the Spirit.

With God and through faith, all things are possible and we can overcome this world.

marhig

Matthew 7:22-23

He does not call them liars and deny they did the things they claimed. They DID, and DO, do them. Just like you. But they're lawless because they never knew Him and He never knew them.

You reject the only saving Gospel today. You do not know Him. He is not yours. You are not His. It isn't possible.
The only saving gospel is the gospel of God which is for all of us, given by Christ Jesus and all his apostles including Paul.

glorydaz

And yet Paul says, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". Philippians 4:13

Romans 6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you. 18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.