Trinity Proof Scriptures

genuineoriginal

No one disputes that.

The issue is that there is ONE "name", yet THREE Persons are listed.
Singular name....all three listed.
The verse mentions that we are to baptize people by the sanction or authority of three beings: the Father is one being, the Son is a second being, the Holy Spirit is a third being.

Doesn't make them real.

There is only ONE God.

All others are fakes.
No, the Bible tells us that men think there are other gods.

The Bible teaches that gods made of wood and stone are fake.

The Bible also teaches that there are also other gods and that the LORD is greater than all of them.

Exodus 18:11
11 Now I know that the Lord is greater than all gods: for in the thing wherein they dealt proudly he was above them.​

glorydaz

Are you referring to this verse?

Matthew 28:19
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:​

Do you understand what "in the name of" means?

in the name of
a. for the sake of
b. by the sanction or authority of

The Bible teaches that there are other gods.

Singular name....all three listed.

No, the Bible tells us that men think there are other gods.

In fact, God declared Himself the ONLY God.

Tigger 2

JudgeRightly
The issue is that there is ONE "name", yet THREE Persons are listed.

This is a common idiom in English as well as Greek. "In the name of king and country."

Ethan Allen, writing about his capture of Fort Ticonderoga in 1775, quoted the words he spoke when the British commander of that fort asked him by what authority Allen had captured it.

Ethan Allen replied:
“In the name [singular] of the Great Jehovah and the Continental Congress.” - p. 100, A Book About American History, Stimpson, Fawcett Publ., 1962 printing. (Also see Rebels and Redcoats, p. 54, Scheer and Rankin, Mentor Books, 1959 printing; and p. 167, Vol. 1, Universal Standard Encyclopedia, the 1955 abridgment of the New Funk and Wagnalls Encyclopedia.)

How ludicrous it would be to conclude that Allen really meant that Jehovah and the Continental Congress had the same personal name and were both equally God!

glorydaz

What passages of scripture are you referring to?

First that comes to mind...

Isaiah 45:21-22 Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the Lord? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me. 22 Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.​

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
The verse mentions that we are to baptize people by the sanction or authority of three beings: the Father is one being, the Son is a second being, the Holy Spirit is a third being.

Which makes you a polytheist, according to this passage:

But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit? . . . You have not lied to men but to God.” - Acts 5:3-4 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts5:3-4&version=NKJV

:think:

The Bible also teaches that there are also other gods and that the LORD is greater than all of them.

Exodus 18:11
11 Now I know that the Lord is greater than all gods: for in the thing wherein they dealt proudly he was above them.​

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
A being of unity is not beyond your ability to understand.

One NAME....Father, Son, Holy Spirit. Our Triune God.

If you understood that, you wouldn't be having to conjure up TWO DIVINE BEINGS.

Not only that, but, perhaps you remember what genuineoriginal said about Jesus:

Christ Jesus left heaven, stripped Himself of His divinity, and was born as a man.

Here, we see that genuineoriginal makes Jesus to have once been MIGHTIER than God the Father (Whom, alone, genuineoriginal calls "God Almighty"). He says that Jesus had the might to, of His own will, cease being divine, which is something God Almighty has not the might to do.

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank

What, if anything, would you say it is for something you call a "god" to be fake? Would you say that it is a god that is not a god?

Also, when the Bible refers to heathen idols by the word, "gods", would you say that the Bible is stating that heathen idols are divine? If so, what (if anything) would you say is meant in stating that a piece of wood and/or stone is divine?

genuineoriginal

First that comes to mind...

Isaiah 45:21-22 Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the Lord? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me. 22 Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.​
That verse is in context of the LORD God being the only God of the children of Israel according to His covenant with them.

Deuteronomy 5:7
7 Thou shalt have none other gods before me.​

But, there are other gods, such as the gods of the Egyptians that the LORD executed judgments upon.

Numbers 33:4
4 For the Egyptians buried all their firstborn, which the LORD had smitten among them: upon their gods also the LORD executed judgments.​

genuineoriginal

Which makes you a polytheist
There are other gods, but I serve one God and one Lord.

1 Corinthians 8:6
6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.​

, according to this passage:

But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit? . . . You have not lied to men but to God.” - Acts 5:3-4 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts5:3-4&version=NKJV

:think:
Isn't passing along information to the LORD God one of the functions of the Holy Spirit?

genuineoriginal

Christ Jesus left heaven, stripped Himself of His divinity, and was born as a man.

Philippians 2:5-9
5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:​

glorydaz

You have completely ignored the second half of that verse, the part that affirms that there are many gods, "there be gods many".
Nothing about "called" there.

Then let's look a bit closer, shall we?

1 Cor. 8:4 As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.

5 For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)

Please note what the verse is and what the parenthesis is. Those "idols" are what are called gods, and there are many of those.

glorydaz

That verse is in context of the LORD God being the only God of the children of Israel according to His covenant with them.

Deuteronomy 5:7
7 Thou shalt have none other gods before me.​

But, there are other gods, such as the gods of the Egyptians that the LORD executed judgments upon.

Numbers 33:4
4 For the Egyptians buried all their firstborn, which the LORD had smitten among them: upon their gods also the LORD executed judgments.​

These are not gods. There is no divinity in idols.

Isaiah 19:1-3
The burden of Egypt. Behold, the Lord rideth upon a swift cloud, and shall come into Egypt: and the idols of Egypt shall be moved at his presence, and the heart of Egypt shall melt in the midst of it. 2 And I will set the Egyptians against the Egyptians: and they shall fight every one against his brother, and every one against his neighbour; city against city, and kingdom against kingdom. 3 And the spirit of Egypt shall fail in the midst thereof; and I will destroy the counsel thereof: and they shall seek to the idols, and to the charmers, and to them that have familiar spirits, and to the wizards.​

These be thy gods?

Exodus 32:8 They have turned aside quickly out of the way which I commanded them: they have made them a molten calf, and have worshipped it, and have sacrificed thereunto, and said, These be thy gods, O Israel, which have brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.

You consider any of these to be "gods" (Deity)?

There were over 2,000 names of gods in Ancient Egypt. Some images of Ancient Egyptian gods and goddesses show them with a human body and the head of a bird or an animal. Animals were chosen to represent the powers of the god. Bastet was the Goddess of Protection of joy, love, pleasure and pregnant woman.

chair

I'm out here too, but not going to get into a 'nature of God" debate, as that has been done and redone many times, and in all that time, not once has anyone changed their opinion, so, what is the point?

As an outsider, I find the discussion a bit amusing, in a sad sort of way. I find it curious that some think that you must be a theologian in order to get to heaven.

If a man does good, and prays to God every day, who cares if he understands the 'structure' of God, or gets some other theological point wrong?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
As an outsider, I find the discussion a bit amusing, in a sad sort of way. I find it curious that some think that you must be a theologian in order to get to heaven.

If a man does good, and prays to God every day, who cares if he understands the 'structure' of God, or gets some other theological point wrong?

Doing good and praying to God won't get a man to heaven.

Only by confessing that Jesus Christ is Lord and believing that God has raised Him from the dead.

bibleverse2

These be thy gods?

Exodus 32:8 They have turned aside quickly out of the way which I commanded them: they have made them a molten calf, and have worshipped it, and have sacrificed thereunto, and said, These be thy gods, O Israel, which have brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.

That brought to mind:

Leviticus 26:1 ¶Ye shall make you no idols nor graven image, neither rear you up a standing image, neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: for I am YHWH your God.​

Here the original Hebrew word (pecel: H6459) translated as "graven", like the English word, can mean "carved". So a "graven" image is "an object of worship carved usually from wood or stone" (Webster's). This commandment against making graven images was the second of the Ten Commandments (Exodus 20:4-6), which also forbade the making and worshipping of "any likeness" of anything which exists (Exodus 20:4), which would include drawing, painting, or engraving any picture of anything to worship it.

This commandment was quite radical, going against so much of pagan worship practices at the time, and even still today.

Also, it should be remembered that the golden calf (made with a "graving" tool) in Exodus 32:4 was horrible to YHWH God, even though it was fashioned to worship Him (Exodus 32:4b-5). That is, when the Israelites danced naked (Exodus 32:19,25) before the golden calf, they were dancing as part of a "feast to YHWH" (Exodus 32:5b), even though He utterly despised these inventions.

For when the people said regarding the golden calf: "These be thy gods... which brought thee up out of the land of Egypt" (Exodus 32:4b), the original Hebrew word (Elohim: H0430) translated as thy "gods" can instead be translated as thy "God", that is, the very same God who had just brought them out of Egypt. See Exodus 29:46, where "Elohim" is translated as "God" in reference to YHWH Himself. For "the LORD their God" in Exodus 29:46 in the original Hebrew is "YHWH" their "Elohim".

So the golden calf was a graven image not of a pagan god, but of YHWH. And the dancing-naked "feast to YHWH" before the golden calf (Exodus 32:5,19,25) was a worshipful celebration of Him having brought the Israelites out of Egypt.

And yet the whole thing was utterly abhorrent to YHWH.

What could we be doing today in our worship of Him that is similarly abhorrent, even though we think that it is in His honor?