Town Quixote's

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Nice fence.

And since they delivered the cinder blocks on a pallet. I can't get this off of my mind. Stay tuned.

verticalgardenfrompallet.jpg

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
my sister planted morning glories over a roll of chicken wire - after it greened up you couldn't see the support at all - just a mass of green and flowers

sky.

BANNED
Banned
my sister planted morning glories over a roll of chicken wire - after it greened up you couldn't see the support at all - just a mass of green and flowers

I have thought of planting morning glories to grow up the fence. Perhaps next year. In our zone they aren't perennials so they have to start from seed each year.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
sky., Eeset, and sod:

Why don't you give it a rest? You don't have to do this.

sky., start a garden thread - you have beautiful photos, it could be really great.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
Come in. Some of you will be finding this via the breadcrumb link left in Observations. It's natural to wonder if this is going to be the same thread under a new address. I hope not. What I mean is that I have a somewhat different vision for this one.

It will be a little like what you remember, the odd digest, a few original bits of humor when I can find a minute, but I hope it will also be more of the sort of place where people can have conversation, not debate, and say hello and stretch their legs, tell a joke, talk about something they've read or watched or noodled.

The digest? It will contain more funny aimed at issue and less at issuer. If you want we can discuss it, the threads I link to or the general subject.

I may theme the days, menu style at some point. I'm open to creative ideas from any of you that are constructive and positive. I don't want any personal attacks in this thread. We can differ so long as our differences are on the subject and the subject isn't the poster. :D

We won't have a whine list. :nono:

Anyway, I wanted a place for people to stop in and talk about anything they think the rest of us might find interesting without having to commit to a thread to do it. So pull up a chair and look over the menu. Who knows where that will take you?

Welcome to Quixote's.

Please omit graphic interjections without permission of the management. Thank you.

sky., Eeset, and sod:

Why don't you give it a rest? You don't have to do this.

sky., start a garden thread - you have beautiful photos, it could be really great.

anna - why don't you give it a rest?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
For regulars, I'll be reposting/bumping from time to time until the next Gazette, depending on how many trolls stumble in and through. I may let them fill a page or two, no point in running up a post total trying to keep children from acting like it, but not to worry, it will always be easy to find these, have patience.

Thanks anna, good addition. :D

Today's Gazette

Tried to give a newbie the benefit over the question of God...
...The majority of humanity was indoctrinated to believe a certain way.
And how does that differ with any set of values or beliefs from your end of it? You didn't originate a humanist, godless doctrine. Sure, an idea begins in one place and is popularly dispersed and valued (or not) over time. Okay. That's how it's done. The why of that is the real question.

...Logical arguments for the existence of god tend to engage in fallacious logic of on sort or another I find.
You'd have to give me the example. Not all arguments of any sort are equal. And the existence of a number of poor arguments is undone by a single good one, so even given a tendency that I don't credit it wouldn't matter overly much. If every kid in class but one fails to properly add one plus one math remains untarnished.

...One of the big appeals of religion is answer to the unanswerable, and comfort from fear. People naturally fear death, and religion offers a hope to assuage that fear. This certainly isn't the only appeal, but it is a major one.
I don't think most people walk around thinking about death. I'd agree that it's a comfort when one does, but I suspect the strength of religion is found in the living of life, in the context it offers. For me it's that and relation. We are, when viewed historically, creatures of value and meaning, of purpose. We seek and argue over it endlessly. Couple that seeming nature with a survival impulse and belief would seem to be the thing we're born for and that context made to make us happiest.

Then the question becomes why that is. The faithful have one answer, those without, another.

Visited zoo's oceanic to differ with some...
So far as I can apprehend it, the truth is that trust isn't difficult or complicated any more than it's a thing of shades. I suspect that seems alien to us because we're complicated and untrustworthy creatures, willfully so. But what Christ called us to is simple, child like and requires only the one thing we hate to do most, surrender.

While in fool's OJ was innocent thread...
They got it wrong.
You know what they say, opinions are like verdicts, everyone has one and...but they don't really. Have verdicts, I mean. :plain:

And...
They get it wrong all the time.
That seems damning, but if there were a million trials a day ending in convictions and one of those each day came to a wrong conclusion then you could make that same statement, since it would be happening often, but as a percentage be rather impressively small.

And people are stuck by lightning all the time too. Chances are you won't be.

Tricky devil you. :D

Then finished up with FE for the time being...
...You may think it not objectively true that the [Bible's] words are used to justify the killing of otherwise innocent people, but that would be your own bias coloring your perception I think. History paints a far different picture up to this very day.
Like I said, history shows us that some men use spoons to murder people. But spoons aren't the problem.

Re: Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot
And in the vein of those men, they did not kill in the name of atheism.
Sure they did, given their faith was predicated upon a war on religion. They specifically slaughtered and targeted the faithful and their institutions as part of their wider carnage. You need to bone up on that history.

including the entire Jesus narrative subtext, paints god as an arbitrary, capricious [omitted infraction worthy descriptive] who is as far removed from perfection as any human being can be.
You'll notice I'm not answering you on points at this point because you just did the final reveal with the thing that followed the capricious description.

You're angry. Your rationality is fish wrap. I was hoping for better.

Eeset chimed in Stripes closed lawyer thread...
Originally Posted by Eeset
Dearest Town, chit-chat with you never works.
Depends on the partner.

Originally Posted by Eeset
Exactly. You made my point.
Someone has to.

Tomorrow? Love, lawyers and Stripe gets the answer he tried to avoid. :e4e:

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
For regulars, I'll be reposting/bumping from time to time until the next Gazette, depending on how many trolls stumble in and through. I may let them fill a page or two, no point in running up a post total trying to keep children from acting like it

so you were lying in your OP?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
so you were lying in your OP?
The only time I'm going to ever speak to you again within this context, but no. I appreciate responses meant to make the thread more interesting and better and distinguish between that and your and sky and Eeset trolling.

Look, I've seen the data on what happens when you three start threads where people would have to come to you and demonstrate interest in what you're writing and I get that it doesn't by and large happen, that your existence here is mostly parasitical, but that doesn't mean I appreciate your doing that in my threads.

If the admin isn't going to get involved I'm not going to sweat it or lock you out, which would be easy enough and given I mostly post here, that people stop in to read that more than to post anything, it's one solution I may consider again at some point...but for now, nah. So you guys post a few dozen whatevers and every so often I'll repost the Gazette and then the next one so people who come here can get what they actually come here for and you can continue to look like what you actually are.

Seems like a win for everyone...else. :D

Wile E. Coyote

Look, I've seen the data on what happens when you three start threads where people would have to come to you and demonstrate interest in what you're writing and I get that it doesn't by and large happen, that your existence here is mostly parasitical, but that doesn't mean I appreciate your doing that in my threads.
I have no respect for Res. He mocks the Amish who are a peace loving and a harmless people.

bybee

The only time I'm going to ever speak to you again within this context, but no. I appreciate responses meant to make the thread more interesting and better and distinguish between that and your and sky and Eeset trolling.

If the admin isn't going to get involved I'm not going to sweat it or lock you out, which would be easy enough and given I mostly post here, that people stop in to read that more than to post anything, it's one solution I may consider again at some point...but for now, nah. So you guys post a few dozen whatevers and every so often I'll repost the Gazette and then the next one so people who come here can get what they actually come here for and you can continue to look like what you actually are.

Seems like a win for everyone...else. :D

We work around them as best we can. They get their jollies by trying to tear down what others are attempting to build up.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
I have no respect for Res. He mocks the Amish who are a peace loving and a harmless people.

I don't remember that happening but I do have some respect for that type of lifestyle but sometimes it can be considered a cult.

Have you seen that show, Breaking Amish and the American Colony Meet the Hutterites show? Something about that just seems appealing to me.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
The only time I'm going to ever speak to you again within this context...

yeah, right :chuckle:

town said:
I appreciate responses meant to make the thread more interesting

You don't find Sky's garden pics interesting?

I do

I suspect that Eeset does too

looks like anna does :idunno:

town said:
given I mostly post here, that people stop in to read that more than to post anything

IOW, it's not working out the way you'd hoped when you laid out your OP - "I wanted a place for people to stop in and talk about anything they think the rest of us might find interesting" - so you're pretty much going back to a continuation of your old Observations blog/thread.

town said:
every so often I'll repost the Gazette and then the next one so people who come here can get what they actually come here for

IOW, you'd hoped to create a blog like your old Observations blog/thread

no surprise there

not sure where this is coming from Wile E - I respect the Amish and am looking forward to getting to know them better when I will soon be living in their midst.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Why don't you stop acting like the playground bully and leave TH alone?
Just stay away from him.
He can't. Doesn't matter, I'll repost the Gazette later and eventually I' think I'll redo the OP and make it an index of those. I appreciate the effort, but you can't reason with children. And that's the level these three are operating on.

If there are ever more of this sort than our sort TOL will collapse on itself and we'll be having this conversation elsewhere, but I don't think they ever really will, even if Sod's post count can make it feel as though they're managing it. :D

You notice his comment on the Observations thread? It's funny, given the traffic. He minds it, it bothers him that it was that popular and he's going to try to poison this well if he can.

That's our Sod.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
better take a screen shot of the OP before our OCD challenged friend modifies it beyond recognition :)
Come in. Some of you will be finding this via the breadcrumb link left in Observations. It's natural to wonder if this is going to be the same thread under a new address. I hope not. What I mean is that I have a somewhat different vision for this one.

It will be a little like what you remember, the odd digest, a few original bits of humor when I can find a minute, but I hope it will also be more of the sort of place where people can have conversation, not debate, and say hello and stretch their legs, tell a joke, talk about something they've read or watched or noodled.

The digest? It will contain more funny aimed at issue and less at issuer. If you want we can discuss it, the threads I link to or the general subject.

I may theme the days, menu style at some point. I'm open to creative ideas from any of you that are constructive and positive. I don't want any personal attacks in this thread. We can differ so long as our differences are on the subject and the subject isn't the poster. :D

We won't have a whine list. :nono:

Anyway, I wanted a place for people to stop in and talk about anything they think the rest of us might find interesting without having to commit to a thread to do it. So pull up a chair and look over the menu. Who knows where that will take you?

Welcome to Quixote's.

Please omit graphic interjections without permission of the management. Thank you.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
not sure where this is coming from Wile E - I respect the Amish and am looking forward to getting to know them better when I will soon be living in their midst.

That's what I remember you saying. Around these parts the Amish are some of the best people you can hire. They have a great work ethic and superior wood working skills.