toldailytopic: Will you eat at Chick-fil-A knowing they support traditional marriage?

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Yes and as a secularist I too am somewhat interested in any social benefit that encouraging a traditional heterosexual marriage may give society but at the same time discriminating against those who don't want a heterosexual relationship is not reasonable imo.
It's perfectly reasonable if you're encouraging and rewarding a relationship that benefits society to not encourage and reward every other relationship in existence! By all means explain why you aren't here likewise calling for government recognition of any and every other imaginable union by this same logic.
However my own view is based on a what I perceive as a practical benefit to society while I suspect yours is based simply on a strict adherence to an ancient scripture, and then to have it imposed on people who don't.
It.
Doesn't.
Matter.

I have the right to vote based on whatever the hell basis I like. What you suspect that might be based on is completely and utterly irrelevant to my right to vote.

You don't even get to insist people who vote do so on the basis of what is of practical benefit to society. You don't even get that power over other people's votes. Be thankful then that this is what I base my vote on, whether I disagree with you or not.

And, by the way, do you remember when you said this?

"Wrong, you simply want whatever you have decided is just and right, albeit derived (mindlessly?) from an ancient scripture, imposed on all, including those of us who dare to decide our own relative morality."

That was you being a blazing hypocrite.
It doesn't matter to me particularly how individuals decide how to vote, that isn't the point. What I am saying is that civilised secular majorities should not need to impose their non-secular views on minorities just because they can control the levers of powers.
I have no idea what you're saying here. A secular majority doesn't need to impose their non-secular views on minorities? Would a secular majority even do that? :dizzy:

Are you saying a civilized society shouldn't have to impose non-secular views on the minority? Is that what you meant? Because that's stupid. So long as any idea can be both secular or non-secular this is a completely ridiculous thing to base the acceptance or rejection of anyone's right to vote. And also impossible.

Where do you get the idea from that you have a right to impose on minorities your ideas of marriage or morality particularly when clearly all could have what they wanted given a bit of understanding and tolerance?
This doesn't make any sense. :idunno:
IOW, you should live your life and let them live theirs, but simply being in a majority and winning a secular vote doesn't somehow justify or make your doctrinal view right and proper. :AMR:
Who said it did? What are you babbling about? :liberals:

We're talking about whether people have the right to vote based on religious principle aren't we? How the heck does "live and let live" apply to voting? Why doesn't this apply to you as well?

Sorry but you rather lost me again here.
Hopefully I have covered my response sufficiently above?
You haven't. All I'm getting is that you're firmly convinced no one should have the right to vote based on any principle, idea or belief that appears in a religion somewhere. Which is just ludicrous.

Not to mention the vast majority of our laws currently do appear in various religions. Many of them put into place by people voting in an entirely non-secular manner.
I simply don't accept that you have shown anything other than a dogmatic religious belief is involved here, but if you have laid out proper secular rational reasoning somewhere then it seems to have escaped my attention, please do cite it.
Because you're being a bigot.

See, I haven't really said anything at all about how I base my vote on anything, secular or non-secular. Be it on religious belief or science or scrying tea leaves. What we've been talking about is whether people have the right to vote or exercise their power over government policy in a democracy,based on whatever belief they like, be it secular or non-secular.

The reason why you're so sure everything I've said boils down to dogmatic religious belief is that you're being bigoted. Your brain is so chock full of rejecting dogmatic religious belief and denying the right to vote based on dogmatic religious belief that all you hear from anyone challenging that notion is a bunch of :blabla:.
Apparently though you are now claiming that I am being bigoted for not tolerating your bigoted intolerance of homosexuals.:think:
So shoot me.
No, I'm saying you're being a bigot because you're incapable of following along in a discussion of whether or not it's reasonable to limit people's right to vote entirely to the secular.

Again you seem to think that by winning a democratic vote somehow makes you right, it doesn't of course it only puts you in charge.
1) This makes absolutely no sense in light of what it's in response to.
2) How do you figure that and who cares anyway? Doesn't have anything to do with whether you're right to limit what basis others have the right to vote on.

Except Mary that when you win that vote and get put in charge (heaven forbid) you will apparently not even consider tolerating or allowing for other (gay?) lifestyles, which would probably only be an abuse of power imo, not right and proper.
This is why you have the right to vote as well.

Instead of spitting battery acid at the thought that other people you disagree with have the right to vote and advocating having their rights abridged, maybe you should satisfy yourself with that. Like every other reasonable, rational, non-bigoted voter out there does.

And, again, you don't see anyone suggesting you have your right to vote taken away. Nor so much as limited in any way.

noguru

It's perfectly reasonable if you're encouraging and rewarding a relationship that benefits society to not encourage and reward every other relationship in existence! By all means explain why you aren't here likewise calling for government recognition of any and every other imaginable union by this same logic.
It.
Doesn't.
Matter.

I have the right to vote based on whatever the hell basis I like. What you suspect that might be based on is completely and utterly irrelevant to my right to vote.

You don't even get to insist people who vote do so on the basis of what is of practical benefit to society. You don't even get that power over other people's votes. Be thankful then that this is what I base my vote on, whether I disagree with you or not.

"Wrong, you simply want whatever you have decided is just and right, albeit derived (mindlessly?) from an ancient scripture, imposed on all, including those of us who dare to decide our own relative morality."

I have no idea what you're saying here. A secular majority doesn't need to impose their non-secular views on minorities? Would a secular majority even do that? :dizzy:

Are you saying a civilized society shouldn't have to impose non-secular views on the minority? Is that what you meant? Because that's stupid. So long as any idea can be both secular or non-secular this is a completely ridiculous thing to base the acceptance or rejection of anyone's right to vote. And also impossible.

This doesn't make any sense. :idunno:

We're talking about whether people have the right to vote based on religious principle aren't we? How the heck does "live and let live" apply to voting? Why doesn't this apply to you as well?

You haven't. All I'm getting is that you're firmly convinced no one should have the right to vote based on any principle, idea or belief that appears in a religion somewhere. Which is just ludicrous.

Not to mention the vast majority of our laws currently do appear in various religions. Many of them put into place by people voting in an entirely non-secular manner.

See, I haven't really said anything at all about how I base my vote on anything, secular or non-secular. Be it on religious belief or science or scrying tea leaves. What we've been talking about is whether people have the right to vote or exercise their power over government policy in a democracy,based on whatever belief they like, be it secular or non-secular.

The reason why you're so sure everything I've said boils down to dogmatic religious belief is that you're being bigoted. Your brain is so chock full of rejecting dogmatic religious belief and denying the right to vote based on dogmatic religious belief that all you hear from anyone challenging that notion is a bunch of :blabla:.

No, I'm saying you're being a bigot because you're incapable of following along in a discussion of whether or not it's reasonable to limit people's right to vote entirely to the secular.

1) This makes absolutely no sense in light of what it's in response to.
2) How do you figure that and who cares anyway? Doesn't have anything to do with whether you're right to limit what basis others have the right to vote on.

Instead of spitting battery acid at the thought that other people you disagree with have the right to vote and advocating having their rights abridged, maybe you should satisfy yourself with that. Like every other reasonable, rational, non-bigoted voter out there does.

And, again, you don't see anyone suggesting you have your right to vote taken away. Nor so much as limited in any way.

:rotfl:

Yup you are allowed to vote however you please, no matter how illogical your choices might be. It is part of the freedoms that are guaranteed by the laws supported by those "secularist humanists" that you despise so much.

noguru

You are right, i agree thats not good and not right.

People often get married for the wrong reasons. Then when they are confronted with a choice of either staying married for the right reasons or getting divorced, they often choose to get divorced based on their previous mistake of getting married for the wrong reasons. Rather than adjusting their attitudes to stay married for the right reasons. Unfortunately there are two people in a marriage, and both have to choose to stay married for the right reasons. That reality might actually increase the percentage to 75% if one considers that 75% of the people probably want to stay married for the right reasons.

alwight

Yes and as a secularist I too am somewhat interested in any social benefit that encouraging a traditional heterosexual marriage may give society but at the same time discriminating against those who don't want a heterosexual relationship is not reasonable imo.
Then explain how it can be fair to those who are not heterosexual if they are denied equal rights under secular law.

I hope I can assume here btw that there is no higher spiritual goal here and we're dealing with simply making the best for all, out of this one life we know we have, and we're not seeking to please gods or to conform to anyone’s doctrine.

However my own view is based on a what I perceive as a practical benefit to society while I suspect yours is based simply on a strict adherence to an ancient scripture, and then to have it imposed on people who don't.
It.
Doesn't.
Matter.

I have never denied anyone’s right to vote, what I do object to is interested alliances (say Christians) combining forces to oppress those (gays) who don’t happen to comply with their non-secular doctrine.

I disagree, by all means vote for the best secular candidate iyo but he/she should be there to do a secular job not to be used as a Trojan Horse for a non-secular doctrine. If there are good current secular reasons to deny gays equal rights then let’s see them in a manifesto, let’s give them a mandate, then I will shut up.

It doesn't matter to me particularly how individuals decide how to vote, that isn't the point. What I am saying is that civilised secular majorities should not need to impose their non-secular views on minorities just because they can control the levers of powers.
I have no idea what you're saying here. A secular majority doesn't need to impose their non-secular views on minorities? Would a secular majority even do that?
A very right wing Christian based secular majority perhaps? Who just might want to lock up and even execute gays from what I’ve been gathering, once they win the secular vote of course?

Are you saying a civilized society shouldn't have to impose non-secular views on the minority? Is that what you meant?
Yes.
Because that's stupid. So long as any idea can be both secular or non-secular this is a completely ridiculous thing to base the acceptance or rejection of anyone's right to vote. And also impossible.
Then let’s see the secular reasoning as to why gays should be discriminated against and then get a mandate for it in an election, rather than sneaking it through the back door. Make it an open issue based on current secular facts not ancient scripture. :AMR:

Where do you get the idea from that you have a right to impose on minorities your ideas of marriage or morality particularly when clearly all could have what they wanted given a bit of understanding and tolerance?
This doesn't make any sense.:idunno:

No sadly I don’t suppose it does for you.
The idea that it just might be possible for majorities and minorities to coexist without the majority thinking they have the God-given right to lock up minorities for what they may prefer to do in private is perhaps confusing for you?

IOW, you should live your life and let them live theirs, but simply being in a majority and winning a secular vote doesn't somehow justify or make your doctrinal view right and proper. :AMR:
You seem to see nothing wrong with using a secular office to carry out non-secular doctrine. :liberals:

No, I wasn’t saying that at all, everyone has the right to do whatever they want with their own vote imo, even vote for a homophobic bigot, but that doesn’t make homophobic bigotry any more right or just.

Sorry but you rather lost me again here.
Hopefully I have covered my response sufficiently above?
No again I’m not saying that at all and you probably know it.
If the vote was for a religious doctrine that may be one thing but on secular issues you simply don’t have the right or a mandate to impose your religious doctrine on others without your society becoming a theocracy.

Good for them then.

I simply don't accept that you have shown anything other than a dogmatic religious belief is involved here, but if you have laid out proper secular rational reasoning somewhere then it seems to have escaped my attention, please do cite it.
I don’t know how you worked that one out Mary? :liberals:

The reason why you're so sure everything I've said boils down to dogmatic religious belief is that you're being bigoted. Your brain is so chock full of rejecting dogmatic religious belief and denying the right to vote based on dogmatic religious belief that all you hear from anyone challenging that notion is a bunch of.
Then explain to me with evidence exactly how discriminating against gay people is justified in a modern secular society, without referring to ancient doctrine. :sherlock:

Apparently though you are now claiming that I am being bigoted for not tolerating your bigoted intolerance of homosexuals.
So shoot me.
Again I have never denied that anyone has the right to vote however they wish, why do you keep saying otherwise? I’m actually saying that in a vote in secular society the issues are secular or at least should be. If you have secular issues with gays then let’s hear about them before the vote else you have no mandate. However simply citing religious doctrine is frankly not secular nor good enough afaic.

Again you seem to think that by winning a democratic vote somehow makes you right, it doesn't of course it only puts you in charge.
1)This makes absolutely no sense in light of what it's in response to.
This is just a straw man, I’m simply talking about what the winner is mandated to do in a secular society election, not that you have to restrict your voting options in any way in how to vote, I’m not trying to tell you how to think. :rolleyes:
What I am saying is that just because you are in a majority who was successful in voting in a candidate with your religious leanings does not then mean you have any justification or mandate for imposing supposed diktats from your ancient scripture on gay people or others. If you really want to do that, then find some rational secular reasons for controlling what gays do, get a mandate or simply shut up and leave them alone.

Except Mary that when you win that vote and get put in charge (heaven forbid) you will apparently not even consider tolerating or allowing for other (gay?) lifestyles, which would probably only be an abuse of power imo, not right and proper.

For goodness sakes Mary this was never about the right to vote it was about what could be done justifiably in a secular society after the vote, but you really don’t get it do you? Winner takes all and gets to impose on all is how you see it perhaps?
If you happen to be gay too then you will always be in the minority, just hard luck and tough I suppose, and then the fundies don't want you to have civil partnerships never mind be married, they'd rather like to lock you up though. :plain:

Last edited:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
People often get married for the wrong reasons. Then when they are confronted with a choice of either staying married for the right reasons or getting divorced, they often choose to get divorced based on their previous mistake of getting married for the wrong reasons. Rather than adjusting their attitudes to stay married for the right reasons. Unfortunately there are two people in a marriage, and both have to choose to stay married for the right reasons. That reality might actually increase the percentage to 75% if one considers that 75% of the people probably want to stay married for the right reasons.

So ideally both people need to be submitted to God so that they are likeminded from the start.

noguru

So ideally both people need to be submitted to God so that they are likeminded from the start.

I don't know if being committed to God is a requirement. One of my business associates in computer software is an atheist. He has been married for 30 years. He and his wife are certainly married for the right reasons.

noguru

Back to the thread and the intolerance of the tolerance - seems this intolerant jerk was owned:

Viral video of man picking on Chick-fil-A worker gets him fired

Yes, I agree. The guy acted like a sanctimonious jerk. There are jerks on both sides of this debate. But the left takes the cake (or should I say free water) when it comes to that kind of non-sense. I would have been more impressed if the guy dumped the water out when he got it. That would have made a ridiculous point even more ridiculous.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Then explain how it can be fair to those who are not heterosexual if they are denied equal rights under secular law.
They aren't denied anything at all. They absolutely have the right to form that relationship we're talking about, that is acknowledged, encouraged and rewarded by the state.

I hope I can assume here btw that there is no higher spiritual goal here and we're dealing with simply making the best for all, out of this one life we know we have, and we're not seeking to please gods or to conform to anyone’s doctrine.
This is paranoia, you realize.

I have never denied anyone’s right to vote, what I do object to is interested alliances (say Christians) combining forces to oppress those (gays) who don’t happen to comply with their non-secular doctrine.
Yes you have. You've consistently argued for limiting government entirely to the secular.

I disagree, by all means vote for the best secular candidate iyo but he/she should be there to do a secular job not to be used as a Trojan Horse for a non-secular doctrine.
For example. :plain:
If there are good current secular reasons to deny gays equal rights then let’s see them in a manifesto, let’s give them a mandate, then I will shut up.
You're too much to bigot to realize these secular reasons for the government denying the validity of homosexual marriage are already out there. They all over the place. You're unaware of them because you're a bigot. When someone relays these concepts you're deaf to them.

A very right wing Christian based secular majority perhaps? Who just might want to lock up and even execute gays from what I’ve been gathering, once they win the secular vote of course?
Hold on, now you're admitting there are secular arguments for denying gay marriage and even outlawing homosexual sex? :dizzy:

And if it's secular, as you say here, what's your complaint then? :liberals:

I agree. Because I support the Establishment Clause of our Constitution. Not the hyper-inflated, utterly irrational and distorted perversion of that simple concept that's poisoning your brain atm.

Then let’s see the secular reasoning as to why gays should be discriminated against and then get a mandate for it in an election, rather than sneaking it through the back door. Make it an open issue based on current secular facts not ancient scripture. :AMR:
Great. Go listen to what people are actually saying on the other side of this issue. Because they provide "secular" reasoning for that all day long. :idunno:

No sadly I don’t suppose it does for you.
The idea that it just might be possible for majorities and minorities to coexist without the majority thinking they have the God-given right to lock up minorities for what they may prefer to do in private is perhaps confusing for you?
This clearly doesn't translate that confusing quote at all. But since this is what you offer, I'll respond.

Of course it's not possible for those supporting a law and those opposing it to coexist without those breaking that law being punished. But you're being irrational to insist here that passing any particular law means all those that opposed it being passed are automatically guilty of breaking it somehow. :plain:

You seem to see nothing wrong with using a secular office to carry out non-secular doctrine. :liberals:
Again, how does this answer what you quoted? You're very confused!

No, I wasn’t saying that at all,
Yes it is. You insist government and legislation specifically must be strictly secular. That's impossible in a democracy where everyone has the right to vote as they wish.
everyone has the right to do whatever they want with their own vote imo, even vote for a homophobic bigot, but that doesn’t make homophobic bigotry any more right or just.
Hence a secular government, as you understand it anyway, being utterly impossible.

No again I’m not saying that at all and you probably know it.
If the vote was for a religious doctrine that may be one thing but on secular issues you simply don’t have the right or a mandate to impose your religious doctrine on others without your society becoming a theocracy.
Of course that's what you're saying. You just said it again immediately thereafter.

Good for them then.
And yet that violates your secular government you keep harping about.

I don’t know how you worked that one out Mary? :liberals:
Merriam-Webster: "a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially: one who regards or treats the members of a group with hatred and intolerance"

Then explain to me with evidence exactly how discriminating against gay people is justified in a modern secular society, without referring to ancient doctrine. :sherlock:
No. Why should I? I could but that's entirely beside the point. I have the right to vote based entirely and exclusively on any old ancient doctrine I like. You don't get to tell me or anyone else that they don't. That's the point.

Again I have never denied that anyone has the right to vote however they wish, why do you keep saying otherwise?
No, you're right. You changed your position to limiting what elected officials can do now. Because that's more reasonable and less tyrannical. :plain:
I’m actually saying that in a vote in secular society the issues are secular or at least should be. If you have secular issues with gays then let’s hear about them before the vote else you have no mandate. However simply citing religious doctrine is frankly not secular nor good enough afaic.
So you limit all issues strictly to the secular and all votes strictly to the secular. And thus you restrict the democratic voting rights of everyone. Which is tyrannical.

This is just a straw man, I’m simply talking about what the winner is mandated to do in a secular society election, not that you have to restrict your voting options in any way in how to vote, I’m not trying to tell you how to think. :rolleyes:
:doh:
Oh, okay. So now you'll allow us to vote for whomever we like, you'll just limit what that person can do once they're voted into office. :plain:

You know what? I actually agree with this general idea. And we have that already. It's called the constitution. I'll thank you to limit yourself to that as well, rather than the tyranny you propose.
What I am saying is that just because you are in a majority who was successful in voting in a candidate with your religious leanings does not then mean you have any justification or mandate for imposing supposed diktats from your ancient scripture on gay people or others. If you really want to do that, then find some rational secular reasons for controlling what gays do, get a mandate or simply shut up and leave them alone.
Done. Already done. Those rational secular reasons are out there. They're right here on this forum. But you're blind to them because you're a bigot.

And even if they weren't, wouldn't matter. We all have the right to vote based on anything at all. We can vote based on the horoscope or tossing bones if we like. You don't get to say we can't either.

For goodness sakes Mary this was never about the right to vote it was about what could be done justifiably in a secular society after the vote, but you really don’t get it do you? Winner takes all and gets to impose on all is how you see it perhaps?
If you happen to be gay too then you will always be in the minority, just hard luck and tough I suppose, and then the fundies don't want you to have civil partnerships never mind be married, they'd rather like to lock you up though. :plain:
We have a constitution. I support that and agree with it. You're the one arguing for more and broader controls in support of your agenda. And, yes, you absolutely did argue to limit the votes of others entirely to the secular. And here again you argue for limiting the actions of those voted into government entirely to the secular. That's tyrannical.

The simple fact that you should have caught onto by now is that you cannot have this secular government of yours without limiting the democratic rights of the people. You simply can't. And never mind your vague, dangerously undefined concept of what is and isn't secular or how in the world you'd ever enforce such a thing.

We have a clause in the constitution right now that prevents (or should) our government from respecting any particular establishment of religion over any other. That is all that is required.

What you propose is tyranny. Pure and simple.

noguru

Yes you have. You've consistently argued for limiting government entirely to the secular.

I think the point Alwight is making is that it is the secular mindset that will protect peaceful Christians from extremist Muslims, should Muslims takeover. As it is now the secular mindset that allows peaceful Muslims to live here in peace in a Christian majority nation where there are extremist Christians.