toldailytopic: WILDCARD DAY!! Discuss any issue(s) that comes to your mind. GO!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Graphite

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 25th, 2010 02:14 PM

toldailytopic: WILDCARD DAY!! Discuss any issue(s) that comes to your mind. GO!!

The first issue that comes to my mind is Uncanny X-Men #221, the first issue of that title that I ever bought, and it still stands out as one of my all-time favorite X-Men comics.

The Mauraders returned to wreak havoc (no pun intended), once again demonstrating their intensely efficient use of teamwork to magnify their talent for lethal destruction. I also like the fallible humanity expressed in the members of the X-Men, who frankly come out of this battle in San Francisco lucky to even survive. (Keep in mind, the Marauders had already put three X-Men in the hospital long-term, at this point.) I also thought the writer expressed some very touching angst involving the Maurauders' control of former X-Men member Polaris, who was possessed at this point by the insidiously evil Malice and used to devastating effect against Polaris' former teammates.

The plot also maintained the mystery surrounding Madeline Pryor sufficiently, no new clues or plot twists, which is fine by me, since I was terribly disappointed with the direction that long-term plotline went later on.

Alan Silvestri's pencils are my absolute favorite in the history of the X-Men titles, and Chris Claremont was in top form in this period as the writer. All in all, an outstanding issue! :thumb:

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The first issue that comes to my mind is Uncanny X-Men #221, the first issue of that title that I ever bought, and it still stands out as one of my all-time favorite X-Men comics.

You brought to mind . . . Flash Gordon and Ming the Merciless, evil ruler of Mongo.

fool

Hall of Fame
I like beets.
I never liked them before, something about their apperance but this summer I tried one and I liked it.
I wonder if there's anything else that I like that haven't tried.

The Graphite

I like beets.
I never liked them before, something about their apperance but this summer I tried one and I liked it.

Beets rock. :thumb:

Except for beet sugar, which is gross. :vomit:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I was on Facebook, and this girl that I graduated High School with was freaked out because all three of her previous last names were in the death notices in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette on Monday (Yes, she is divorced three times).

Pretty bizarre if you think about it.

Anyway, it got me thinking.

I buy a paper everyday and read most of it, but I never read the death notices.

I know other people that read the death notices everyday.

If you read the death notices everyday let us know why?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Do you think Obama wants to include Republicans in on the blame because he is not getting healthcare passed? "Very rarely did we communicate through the press anything that we didn't absolutely control." White House Communications Director, Anita Dunn.

If you are not convinced that we need to destroy our country with healthcare "reform" that we cannot afford, how can the White House rephrase it so that you are convinced?

You vill be convinced you know?

When we pay out around 16% of our GDP and leave millions of Americans without coverage while a lesser power like France spends around 7% less to cover everyone, the problem, the thing that's destroying us isn't reform but the absence of it.

"Since 2001, premiums for family coverage have increased 78%, while wages have risen 19%..." Kaiser Family Foundation Press release, 9/11/07

Cracked

I just purchased three books (well, I purchased several more for school, but these are the three I bought for personal study)

Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why
Ehrman

Jesus the Wicked Priest: How Christianity was born out of Essene Schism
Vining

Jesus' Words Only or Was Paul the Apostle Jesus Condemns in Rev. 2:2
Del Tondo

Should make for interesting reading :)

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I like beets.

cook them without cutting them to keep the juices in
because
once the juices come out all you have left
is a
dead beet

Psalmist

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I was on Facebook, and this girl that I graduated High School with was freaked out because all three of her previous last names were in the death notices in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette on Monday (Yes, she is divorced three times).

Pretty bizarre if you think about it.

Anyway, it got me thinking.

I buy a paper everyday and read most of it, but I never read the death notices.

I know other people that read the death notices everyday.

If you read the death notices everyday let us know why?

Yes, I read death notices.

Why?
  • I'm still in the funeral service profession part time.
  • So save the notice/obit of those who lived at the retirement/healthcare center where we serve.
  • To see if my name is in the death notices; and if it is, to be sure my name is spelled right; further if it is, guess what.

Psalmist

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
have we had a thread
where
you post your own death notice?

Something like "This is My Dead End" or "My Death, the Bottom Line"

But then if it is my death notice, I think I'll need a ghost writer.

A death notice thread would be like the dead letter bin at the post office, going no where.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Something like "This is My Dead End" or "My Death, the Bottom Line"

But then if it is my death notice, I think I'll need a ghost writer.

A death notice thread would be like the dead letter bin at the post office, going no where.

I'm stuck between "Well, it's about time!" and "Whew, glad that's over!"

But those sound so morbid. And not very positive...

:think:

How about, "Aww! I was just starting to have fun!"

:thumb: There we go.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
In west Philadelphia born and raised
on a playground where I spent most of my days

Status
Not open for further replies.