toldailytopic: Who is your favorite U.S. participant this year in the Olympics?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Alex Morgan, whose high-flying header put the U.S Women ahead of Canada in the 123rd minute, to earn them a spot in the final game against Japan.

This isn't the best U.S. team ever, but it's a team with heart and grit. And fun to watch.

Alex Morgan. :Shimei:

But Canadia kind of got robbed in that game.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
But Canadia kind of got robbed in that game.

While some continue to question the justice of Norwegian referee Christian Pedersen’s time wasting call on Canadian goalkeeper Erin McLeod—and some have even raised the “Ugly American” slur because of the belief that US players comments after the match were insufficiently appreciative and gracious toward Canada’s performance—others are pointing at a rather ugly no-call in which Canada midfielder Melissa Tancredi appears to intentionally stomp on the head of US midfielder Carli Lloyd in the 55th minute.
http://www.phillysoccerpage.net/201...a-investiges-comments-us-open-cup-final-more/

The time-wasting call isn't often done, but the violation did occur. And McLeod admits she had been warned about wasting time before she was called for it. On the other hand, the ref missed a call that would have resulted in a key Canadian player being sent off without replacement.

That would have changed the entire game.

So Canada is lucky. If that one was seen, they'd have likely lost and would also be short the player for the consolation round.

The Berean

Alex Morgan. :Shimei:
This Alex Morgan, Kmo? :think: Should I add her to the "Stuff kmoney Likes" thread? :p

alex-morgan.jpg

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
She looks better in the picture I posted:
morgan.jpg

On her way to the turf, and all she cares about is where the ball is going.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
While some continue to question the justice of Norwegian referee Christian Pedersen’s time wasting call on Canadian goalkeeper Erin McLeod—and some have even raised the “Ugly American” slur because of the belief that US players comments after the match were insufficiently appreciative and gracious toward Canada’s performance—others are pointing at a rather ugly no-call in which Canada midfielder Melissa Tancredi appears to intentionally stomp on the head of US midfielder Carli Lloyd in the 55th minute.
http://www.phillysoccerpage.net/201...a-investiges-comments-us-open-cup-final-more/

The time-wasting call isn't often done, but the violation did occur. And McLeod admits she had been warned about wasting time before she was called for it. On the other hand, the ref missed a call that would have resulted in a key Canadian player being sent off without replacement.

That would have changed the entire game.

So Canada is lucky. If that one was seen, they'd have likely lost and would also be short the player for the consolation round.

I didn't just mean the time-wasting call. There were a couple others too. Namely the hand ball call.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Who is your favorite U.S. participant this year in the Olympics?

Jack. He stamps foot and dances in place and yells "Go-go-go-go!" whenever mom gets excited about a track and field event (which, my wife being a former sprinter, is nearly every one of them).

At one point he ran out into the hall with a "Yay!" So I think he's caught Olympic fever...or fervor. :think:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I didn't just mean the time-wasting call. There were a couple others too. Namely the hand ball call.

Handling the ball (not hand ball) in the laws of the game, implies intent. So merely getting hit by the ball on the arm or hand does not constitute a violation of the laws.

However, a good player is quite capable of taking advantage of a stray ball that comes her way, and so the usual practice, especially in front of the goal mouth, is to assume that if there's an advantage gained by the touch, it was intentional. They didn't complain much about that call, because it's quite commonly applied in cases like that.