toldailytopic: When Jesus said "go and sin no more", what did He mean?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 12th, 2013 06:00 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
While he did speak of divine imputed righteousness, he was instructing Israel to keep all of their law.

Then Jesus spoke to the multitudes and to His disciples, saying: “The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. Therefore whatever they tell you to observe, that observe and do, but do not do according to their works; for they say, and do not do..... Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone.​

He meant exactly what he said.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Simple ... Don't sin again. Ever.

bybee

Didn't He mean not to do that thing again that caused her to be brought before Him?

After I rode my bike down a steep gravel hill, Hell bent for election! and wiped out leaving about 1/3 of my hide in the dirt, my Dad cleaned up my wounds as I screamed in pain.
He said "I guess you won't do that again".:hammer:

rainee

I read that passage literally. No more sin. Not any sin. Ever again.

Yes I can understand that.

That is why I added on to my message - but maybe too late for you to see it.

She was drug before Jesus because she was supposedly caught in an act that could get her stoned.

Why would judging her heart matter? You know what I mean?
It was the act.

rainee

After I rode my bike down a steep gravel hill, Hell bent for election! and wiped out leaving about 1/3 of my hide in the dirt, my Dad cleaned up my wounds as I screamed in pain.
He said "I guess you won't do that again".:hammer:
Ouwie ouch
But I bet no one here is surprised to picture you, Gal, hell bent for election lol

dreadknought

Jesus is omniscient, He knew the hearts of the Pharisees, He knew of their sins. Jesus came to satisfy the Law so that mediation is possible for sinful men and God the Father, not execute a sinner by stoning. He also knew the adulteresses heart and commanded her to go and sin no more. If she had faith in God, she would have known that God is the Judge of sinners.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
1. Did Jesus mean "Go, and don't do that one particular thing that you were caught doing, but it's OK to sin in any other way you like"?

Doesn't seem likely

2. Did Jesus mean "Go and don't ever sin again, not the least little thing"?

Doesn't seem likely either. Or else He was setting her up to fail.

Either way, what if she didn't follow his words? What if she deliberately sinned again, fell back into her adulterous ways?

Some say that He would forgive her "seven times seventy" times, which would render an interpretation of "Go and sin no more" that reads more like "Go and sin no more, but if you do, don't worry about it"

Again, doesn't seem likely.

Imagine the awesome force of that directive, coming directly from the Son of God Himself - Go and sin no more.

Who would want to test that?

bybee

1. Did Jesus mean "Go, and don't do that one particular thing that you were caught doing, but it's OK to sin in any other way you like"?

Doesn't seem likely

2. Did Jesus mean "Go and don't ever sin again, not the least little thing"?

Doesn't seem likely either. Or else He was setting her up to fail.

Either way, what if she didn't follow his words? What if she deliberately sinned again, fell back into her adulterous ways?

Some say that He would forgive her "seven times seventy" times, which would render an interpretation of "Go and sin no more" that reads more like "Go and sin no more, but if you do, don't worry about it"

Again, doesn't seem likely.

Imagine the awesome force of that directive, coming directly from the Son of God Himself - Go and sin no more.

Who would want to test that?

Not I! I've imagined that she experienced a sea change of sorts with the cleansing from sin came the intense desire to continue to live in that new way.

rainee

Wow Resurrected, thank you for posting!

Rusha,
Nick makes an excellent point, Stu X makes an excellent point and Res makes two excellent points.

3 men. All excellent point makers.

But if you judge the Words of Jesus by the Words of Jesus He can deal with specifics in that here and now: John 5:14
As well as broad non specifics of plural sins Mark 2:5

So you want to judge what is happening I guess according to that. :idunno:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Wow Resurrected, thank you for posting!

Rusha,
Nick makes an excellent point, Stu X makes an excellent point and Res makes two excellent points.

3 men. All excellent point makers.

But if you judge the Words of Jesus by the Words of Jesus He can deal with specifics in that here and now: John 5:14
As well as broad non specifics of plural sins Mark 2:5

So you want to judge what is happening I guess according to that. :idunno:

No ... I answered according to how that verse was explained to *me* when I first read it over 40 years ago. It is a literal interpretation of what was is stated in the verse.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
I read that passage literally. No more sin. Not any sin. Ever again.

Do you mean that the woman (and by extension all of us sinners) should make a conscious effort to refrain from actively sinning?

Was Jesus telling her to follow the law down to the last jot and tittle?

rainee

No ... I answered according to how that verse was explained to *me* when I first read it over 40 years ago. It is a literal interpretation of what was is stated in the verse.

You realize I don't want to argue with men but I can argue with you?

A literal interpretation is great. Just get the most literal you can then.

She was just drug into traffic court for hit and run. It is a very bad charge.
Are we worried the Judge is thinking about speeding tickets?

This was a sin unto death and that was a court situation, kinda, in a corrupt kinda way, I think. Even the men will agree with me on that I think.. :)

But I will give up now after this, thanks for letting me do this :)

john w

Hall of Fame
Notice-"what goeth before" John 5:14 KJV:

John 5:5 KJV
5 And a certain man was there, which had an infirmity thirty and eight years.

The man had both a physical infirmity and and an infirmity of the flesh for "thirty and eight years"=the period covering the wanderings in the desert of the children of Israel, and these wanderings were the fruit of their sin. And they did sin yet more, and worse condemnation has come upon them.

And notice that it was on the Sabbath day....a sign.....the reason for the signs in the book of John...John 20:30-31 KJV.....signs..."thirty and eight years"

As it is written:

Romans 10:21 KJV
But to Israel he saith, All day long I have stretched forth my hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people.

IMJerusha

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

The moment was an intensely personal one as from a father to a child and just as from a father to a child, Yeshua conveys an attitude of expectancy so while He doesn't condemn the woman, he lets her know in no uncertain terms that that is conditional. Of course, John 7:53 thru 8:11 are disputed as Scripture.

PureX

The phrase is meant to reestablish the woman's priorities. It is not meant as a dictate, nor I am sure was it an expectation. He simply saved her from the destruction that was the inevitable end to the life-path she was on, and He set her back on the path to peace and salvation.

And yes, he would do so again and again, just as He told us to do: "seventy times seven times" (seven being the symbolic number for a limitless quality).

This Charming Manc

I read it as a 'time to change' comment rather than a 'I expect you to fulfill the law which I know you cant do' type comment.

Unlike some round here I dont think Jesus was a legalist.