toldailytopic: What would the world be like if comic book Super Heros were real?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 10th, 2010 09:48 AM

toldailytopic: What would the world be like if comic book Super Heros were real?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The cost of water bills would increase significantly, as blue jeans would now become underwear.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I suppose a portion of them would use their powers for evil instead of good. Therefore we would have super villains. And since us normal folks couldn't thwart the efforts of the super villains it would be up to the super heros to protect us from the super villains.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Then of course.... liberals (like Obama) would probably illegalize the use of super powers in the name of equality and therefore the super heros would have to work "under cover" (sorta like in the Incredibles).

Ecumenicist

Disaster. Just like the cartoons suggest, the power of evil would grow to offset any super power for good. Even though good wins, the collateral deaths and damage would be disastrous.

Ecumenicist

Then of course.... liberals (like Obama) would probably illegality the use of super powers in the name of equality and therefore the super heros would have to work "under cover" (sorta like in the Incredibles).

Ha! Brilliant! This is exactly the way Fox and MSNBC would present our opposing views too:

Fox: "In a move to stifle individualism, Obama today introduced legislation to make superhero activities illegal."

MSNBC: "In a move intended to protect people, the economy, and the environment from harm, Obama today introduced legislation to make superhero activities illegal."

Granite

Hall of Fame
How did we get from real life superheroes to Obama???

You guys really can't help yourselves...

If we had heroes with super powers, I suspect the public would by and large live in fear, or at least in a constant state of tension and apprehension (think our current post 9/11 climate turned up to eleven). Given the specter of super villains, we'd essentially live as a society in a non-stop state of total war. And given the spectacular (Colossal?) damage heroes are capable of causing, there'd eventually be demand for the government to step in and apprehend them at all costs.

In the cases of heroes who developed natural skills, like Batman, the same applies...but as vigilantes donned masks, there'd be a concerted effort in the Internet age to out their true identities, which would lead to a backlash from the heroes themselves, as well as their opponents (who may well want sole credit for exposing and or killing heroes).

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

If we had heroes with super powers, I suspect the public would by and large live in fear, or at least in a constant state of tension and apprehension (think our current post 9/11 climate turned up to eleven). Given the specter of super villains, we'd essentially live as a society in a non-stop state of total war. And given the spectacular (Colossal?) damage heroes are capable of causing, there'd eventually be demand for the government to step in and apprehend them at all costs.

In the cases of heroes who developed natural skills, like Batman, the same applies...but as vigilantes donned masks, there'd be a concerted effort in the Internet age to out their true identities, which would lead to a backlash from the heroes themselves, as well as their opponents (who may well want sole credit for exposing and or killing heroes).
Therefore the super hero would be left with two options....

1. Flaunt his super powers and thumb his nose at normal men by stating.... "What are you going do about it??"

2. Hide his super powers and use them in a more secretive way so that he can live a more "normal" life.

What would you choose?

grit

Stan Lee would probably wish me into a cornfield over dissing a basic lack of balance of powers in the Justice League of America, and that would be the end of me.

Unless, I don't know, I've always though 'The grit' might make a catchy superhero.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Therefore the super hero would be left with two options....

1. Flaunt his super powers and thumb his nose at normal men by stating.... "What are you going do about it??"

2. Hide his super powers and use them in a more secretive way so that he can live a more "normal" life.

What would you choose?

It depends. If you're a Flash, Spider Man, Magneto, Wolverine, Cyclops, Daredevil, or Punisher, the odds are that sooner or longer, the Man (or your super enemies) will figure out a way to either kill, incapacitate, or incarcerate you. In this case, it'd probably be wise to play hero on the sly.

If you're into Thor/Superman territory, you're going to be well-nigh impossible to stop, so why bother hiding?

EDIT: Something else to keep in mind is that the temptation for a hero to turn heel if offered enough luxury by a hostile foreign power would be staggering. At that point flaunting your identity might be the final middle finger to the country of origin that spurned you, or attempted to black bag you.

grit

Wait a minute, I think we already had that once... called 'Ancient Greece'? Most of the gang moved to Rome, eventually joined the Church, emigrated to France, Germany, England, and onto to either America or Russia, where they lost their Super Powers and morals after the Cold War and all became CEO's of something or other.

The Berean

Sounds like the plot of the Watchmen movie. :)

The Berean

Developing the breadth of skills that Batman possess would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, for one man to have.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Developing the breadth of skills that Batman possess would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, for one man to have.

:thumb:

Love that article. Difficult, yes, but not impossible...certainly if you're young, healthy, and rich, it makes things easier.

Ever read the Batman Year One screenplay that Darren Aronofsky was briefly attached to? You can find it on simplyscripts.com. It was a completely different take on the Batman Mythos and was far, far grittier and bleaker than even any Batman film yet made. Bottomline, even an amateurish, half-way talented Batman would get the snot punched out of him on a regular basis...and this script depicted that in very unglamorous terms.

The Berean

:thumb:

Love that article. Difficult, yes, but not impossible...certainly if you're young, healthy, and rich, it makes things easier.
I guess the thing is how likely is that one man will be born into a billionaire family, have world class athletic ability, develop world class fighting skills, live by a strict moral code, and have a genius intellect? :think:

Ever read the Batman Year One screenplay that Darren Aronofsky was briefly attached to? You can find it on simplyscripts.com. It was a completely different take on the Batman Mythos and was far, far grittier and bleaker than even any Batman film yet made. Bottomline, even an amateurish, half-way talented Batman would get the snot punched out of him on a regular basis...and this script depicted that in very unglamorous terms.
Sounds interesting. I'll give a read.

Quincy

I really don't want to walk around seeing a bunch of men wearing tights who will try to be governor when they get old.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I would rule the world and do it without those funny masks and tights, all in the buff; they would call me Buffy.

Status
Not open for further replies.