toldailytopic: What non-biblical person(s) has had the most impact on your spiritual

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 30th, 2012 01:27 PM

toldailytopic: What non-biblical person(s) has had the most impact on your spiritual beliefs?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

This Charming Manc

The known name is probably John Wimber, not directly, but because he influenced so many of the people I spiritually admire and plug into.

dreadknought

toldailytopic: What non-biblical person(s) has had the most impact on your spiritual beliefs?

"The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul." J.S. Bach, Christian; Reformed-Lutheran........... and imo protestant.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Bob George, Bob Enyart, Bob Hill, Les Feldick, Jim Hilston, Greg Bahnsen, John Stocker. These guys have had major influences on forming/changing my beliefs or helping me with the details.

And some good help from some TOL members right here. chickenman, SaulToPaul, clete, hilston, especially come to mind, but many others could be listed.

PureX

A personal God-experience as a small child, a couple of nuns and a priest in my Catholic grade school that were honest enough to tell me the truth about the divine mystery, the writings of Thomas Merton, and what I saw, experienced, and learned in recovery in AA.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
John Paul the Great
but
I also have to mention

John Chrysostom
Francis of Assisi
Augustine

bybee

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

I was introduced to C. S. Lewis at a young age and he had a profound effect on me.

Thunder's Muse

William Golding (Author - Lord of the Flies), Mr Payne (my English teacher), Alanis Morissette, my Best Friend, my counsellor, Marianne Williamson

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber

Anne Frank, I learned so much from her as a 12 year old...how that everyone is the same.
She wrote in her diary on Feb.23 1944

From my favourite spot on the floor I look up at the blue sky and the bare chestnut tree on whose branches little raindrops shine appearing like silver and at the seagulls and other birds as they glide upon the wind. As long as this exists I thought and I may live to see it, this sunshine, the cloudless sky, while this lasts I cannot be unhappy.

I wrote this poem :) it has been accepted by the New York holocaust memorial museum.

My chestnut tree [tomorrow I am free]
This my chosen spot
I may lay me down
gaze can only upward be
filled afresh with hope
growing on my chestnut tree
tomorrow I am free
No clouds in my sky
nor shadow troub'ling me
gracefully glide the seagulls
silvering droplets
sparkle on my chestnut tree
tomorrow I am free
As long as this is so
and if my eyes may see
my heart could never be sad
for me the sun is shining
through my glistening chestnut tree
tomorrow I am free.
Spiritually,
C.H.Spurgeon
Corrie ten Boom
T.L.Osborn

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Bob Enyart, the most rational bible teacher I've ever come across, is easily at the top of the list for me but there's no way I could answer such a question without mentioning Ayn Rand, the most (accidentally) biblical rationalist I've ever come across.

Clete

Buzzword

Tie between (in order of appearance in my life) :

C.S. Lewis (for his points)
Brian MacLaren (for his questions)
My pastor, Dr. Samples (for making points and asking questions, AND listening to my responses)

kmoney

Hall of Fame

This is a hard question.

My parents
My pastors
Various TOLers
Various authors - Kenton Sparks, E. P. Sanders, Peter Kreeft, NT Wright, Karen Armstrong, others I can't think of...

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Thomas à Kempis. Because he is the brake on my particular set of passions.

"At the Day of Judgement we shall not be asked what we have read, but what we have done."

doloresistere

There are many people who had a big impact on my life in general. The one who had the biggest impact on my spiritual life was my grandmother.

Cracked

Primarily Francis of Assisi, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, C.S. Lewis, John Wesley and J.R.R. Tolkien. I should also mention Richard Foster and Jurgen Moltmann.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

Sozo. If not for him I never would have listened to anyone on MAD because I would have continued to believe salvation can be lost.

And then Bob Enyart, whom I never would have listened to if not for Turbo encouraging me to just give Terry's Call a chance.

And Jefferson for introducing me to TOL, else none of the above would have happened.

I'd also mention whoever got through to me on the open view, if I could remember who it was.:chuckle:

Arrogant much?