toldailytopic: What about abortion in cases of rape?

Silent Hunter

This is a matter of representation. Should the child be represented as nothing more than the product of a violent crime, or should the child be represented as simply a child to be cared for?
I was sure that this topic would bring many replies and the reason I was and am content to eat my popcorn, read, and occasionally respond.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

What about abortion in cases of rape?

Killing a child because one of it's parents was a monster makes you an even bigger monster.

Silent Hunter

So if I decide that I don't like my children, whom I raise and feed and pay for clothing and put a roof over their heads and for whom I purchase school supplies...I should feel free to excecute them?
What part of my response to give the child up for adoption elicited this sort of extreme?

Chances are, you will spout off something about how it isn't the same thing. It is. Life is life. Murder is murder. Evil is evil.
Well . . . it isn't.

Why do you worship at the altar of evil?
:liberals:

Silent Hunter

Because you love to place the rights and life of the mother above that of her child. Unborn or not, life is life.
Rusha said, ". . . and is probably better off giving the child up for adoption if she is unable to get past the resentment she feels towards that child."

To which I replied, "If she decides to go to term with the pregnancy . . . sure."

What part of my reply in that exchange puts the life of the mother above that of the child?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have a hard time telling a woman she has to have a rapists baby.

Translation:

I have a hard time telling her not to murder the child of a rapist. I noticed you called it a baby. When does it become a baby? And what makes you think it is ok to execute a baby?

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Rusha said, ". . . and is probably better off giving the child up for adoption if she is unable to get past the resentment she feels towards that child."

To which I replied, "If she decides to go to term with the pregnancy . . . sure."

What part of my reply in that exchange puts the life of the mother above that of the child?

A mother should NEVER have the right to murder her child.

oldhermit

Aborting a child has to be the epitomy of a selfish mind. "I will kill this child because I am inconvenienced or ashamed." It is all centered around MY need and what I want.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No ... because this is about the value of the unborn baby's life, not about how the child was created.

To make such an exception would be the equivalent of stating that under certain circumstances it is acceptable to intentionally kill unborn babies.
Right.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Translation:

I have a hard time telling her not to murder the child of a rapist. I noticed you called it a baby. When does it become a baby? And what makes you think it is ok to execute a baby?
Right.

bybee

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 31st, 2012 08:28 AM

toldailytopic: What about abortion in cases of rape?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

As a woman this is a very touchy subject for me. When I was a teenager I felt that if I were raped I would have to kill myself because I would be damaged beyond repair. Often, females who are raped are functionally destroyed. I'm thankful that such a thing didn't happen to me.
Each of my five children were intensely precious to me the minute I first felt the flutterings of life. Each time I felt slightly insulated from the rest of the world, me and my growing child were a private unity.
I don't know how I would have felt had I become pregnant by an act of violence and aggression?

oldhermit

Well, that's one of the many instances where the sons pay for the sins of their fathers . . .

It goes your objection to punish the child, an innocent, for doing nothing wrong.

The point that needs to be uderstood in this text is that it is God, not man who is doing the punishing. How could anyone possibly attempt to manipulate this text to justify the murder of an unborn child?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Sure she does . . . even if for only nine months.

Yep ... only nine months ... and no, she isn't *raising* her child. She is physically allowing the child to live until the child can survive without her. The raising doesn't begin until the child is born, and at that time she can decide if she wants the responsibility of raising the child or allowing another responsible person to be gifted with the honor.

If she decides to go to term with the pregnancy . . . sure.

While I know your position on this quite well and know your theology (or lack thereof), doesn't this go against the biblical standard that children are responsible for the sins of the father to several generations and what do you think should be the christian response.

Well ... I am not a Christian, and do not believe with any such standard as you noted above. My view is that we are all responsible for our own actions ... which ties in very well with cases of rape and abortion.

The rapist is responsible for his sexual assault towards the mother. As you know, I do not take this lightly and feel that rape should be a capital offense.

The mother is responsible for the life and welfare of her unborn baby in the same way she would be if she was accidentally impregnated by her spouse or significant other.

Life is not perfect and traumatic and bad things happen to good, decent people. No woman EVER deserves to be raped and no child (born or unborn) ever deserves to be intentionally killed.

It is entirely possible to support the mother and offer support after her rape, during her pregnancy and AFTER her pregnancy.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The rapist is responsible for his sexual assault towards the mother. As you know, I do not take this lightly and feel that rape should be a capital offense.

Exactly. And, IMO, it should also be a capital offense for those mothers who participate in the murder of their children and the doctors who assist them.

Silent Hunter

The point that needs to be uderstood in this text is that it is God, not man who is doing the punishing.
It is my opinion that if your deity allows a "punishment" to proceed then your deity is de facto approving of the punishment, thus, doing the punishing.

How could anyone possibly attempt to manipulate this text to justify the murder of an unborn child?
I'm not. You see, we disagree on WHEN the unborn becomes a child (person).