toldailytopic: Were you for or against your mother's right to terminate you?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 21st, 2013 06:00 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

gcthomas

For.

At least for early abortions, the foetus doesn't have a functioning nervous system. I like to think that person-hood requires a working nervous system, so in my mind a first trimester foetus is not a person.

For me, the potential to BECOME a person is not synonymous with BEING a person.

(Now ducking to avoid the flack, noting that other opinions ARE available!)

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
For.

At least for early abortions, the foetus doesn't have a functioning nervous system. I like to think that person-hood requires a working nervous system, so in my mind a first trimester foetus is not a person.

I think that you've missed the point of Knight's question (which is surprisingly Kantian). Necessarily, you couldn't have consented to your mother aborting you. Why? Because such a consent necessarily would destroy itself. The thing to which you're consenting necessarily undermines the consent that you're giving.

oatmeal

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Grace and peace!

No, if she had aborted the fetus that eventually became me, that would have OK, after all I was but an appendage to her body until the umbilical cord was cut.

However, I doubt that she would have, for she prayed for a quiet child. (In contrast to my older brother, who was hyper, he could have been a poster child for ritalin or some barbituates)

Based on some of the comments I receive on this website, I am certain that some others would have advocated abortion in my particular case.

I suppose for those who think that I am going to perish for not agreeing with them, I could be a poster child for prochoice!

oatmeal

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Trick question! :)

:doh:

Why do evolutionists always look for some trait in order to define personhood? Nervous systems, brain waves, heart beats, lack of physical defect, skin colour, nationality...

Well, duh! :duh:

More importantly, the truth is available.

IMJerusha

The question is moot, Brother, since terminating life is no one's "right" regardless of the place in time that life is at, unless it is by the sanction of God's Law. God does not sanction murder.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Against. First of all--terminating the life of an unborn child isn't a right. It's murder. Nowhere in our constitution does it say that women have the right to murder their babies, born or unborn.

rainee

I am thinking of giving Knight a neg rep for the subject of this topic of the day.
Do you think I should?
I think it is making us forget about considering God's Opinion in our life.
I think it can be asking people to dwell in their thinking in a negative way.
What if Job were here? Did he say he wished he had never been born?
Could many feel that way at some time or another?

All in all the approach seems off the mark.

Should I report it? What would happen?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Against ... even though I was born prior to this atrocity becoming a *right*.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
This is a somewhat strange and selfish answer but it amounts to "for". Why? Speaking only for myself, I would much rather have a mother (and family) that really wanted me than be forced on a mother that didn't want me at all.
Elvis

Christ's Word

I believe God's first command to His earthly human creation was to go forth and multiply. Abortion is in direct contradiction to God's first directive. I don't believe mothers have any "rights" concerning the contradiction of God's directives.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I am thinking of giving Knight a neg rep for the subject of this topic of the day.
Do you think I should?
I think it is making us forget about considering God's Opinion in our life.
I think it can be asking people to dwell in their thinking in a negative way.
What if Job were here? Did he say he wished he had never been born?
Could many feel that way at some time or another?

All in all the approach seems off the mark.

Should I report it? What would happen?

he just wants to get us talking about abortion
but
he doesn't want me talking about voting republican as the only means of doing anything about it

they think just talking about it is all you have to do

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
he just wants to get us talking about abortion
but
he doesn't want me talking about voting republican as the only means of doing anything about it

they think just talking about it is all you have to do

As oppose to just voting for those who *just talk about it* ...

surrender

My mother chose to unite with her boyfriend when she was in high school. I was conceived on New Year's Eve. I'm sure that's pretty common! She told him she was pregnant, but he left her. Notice that the choices mentioned here are not mine (the unborn baby). They chose to unite. He chose to leave her. So, what, get rid of "the inconvenience" brought forth by YOUR choices by killing it? Appalling. My mother chose to give me up for adoption. Actually, her parents made her. It broke her heart. I met her when I was in my twenties and I've known her for 18 years now.

Last edited:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
My mother chose to unite with her boyfriend when she was in high school. I was conceived on New Year's Eve. I'm sure that's pretty common! She told him she was pregnant, but he left her. Notice that the choices mentioned here are not mine (the unborn baby). They chose to unite. He chose to leave her. So, what, get rid of "the inconvenience" brought forth by YOUR choices by killing it? Appalling. My mother chose to give me up for adoption. Actually, her patents made her. It broke her heart. I met her when I was in my twenties and I've known her for 18 years now.

thanks for sharing that

do you think abortion should be legal?