toldailytopic: Water baptism: what is it's place today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axman

:doh:
Baptism is utterly useless ... for the purposes of salvation. It might be a nice tradition and it might make certain people happy to see you follow their way of thinking, but the absence of baptism from a church is utterly meaningless to any spiritual status.
:
Water baptism is a work of the flesh and should be abolished. As a tradition is has deceptive powers with the ability to corrupt the message of salvation.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Water baptism is a work of the flesh and should be abolished.

Sure, it's a work, but why should it be abolished?

As a tradition is has deceptive powers with the ability to corrupt the message of salvation.

So do Christmas trees. Should we ban Christmas trees? :idunno:

Grayven

Water baptism is a work of the flesh and should be abolished. As a tradition is has deceptive powers with the ability to corrupt the message of salvation.

Thats a new one to me. I was under the impression that it was commanded. I found a few bible verses saying as much. Explain your new message.

greatdivide46

The act of baptism may be considered a work by some, but it is not the act of baptism that saves. Only God can save and there is ample evidence in Scripture that He saves when we are baptized. But again its not the act of baptism itself that saves. There is no saving efficacy in baptism at all. But since God says He will forgive us our sins and give us the gift of the Holy Spirit when we are baptized (see Acts 2:38), who are we that we should suggest abolishing baptism?

Axman

Sure, it's a work, but why should it be abolished?

So do Christmas trees. Should we ban Christmas trees? :idunno:

It's all in the message. John the baptist preached a baptism (water) of repentence for remission of sins. The new testament is remission through faith in the shed blood of Christ.

Axman

The act of baptism may be considered a work by some, but it is not the act of baptism that saves. Only God can save and there is ample evidence in Scripture that He saves when we are baptized. But again its not the act of baptism itself that saves. There is no saving efficacy in baptism at all. But since God says He will forgive us our sins and give us the gift of the Holy Spirit when we are baptized (see Acts 2:38), who are we that we should suggest abolishing baptism?

The new testament was not revealed at Pentecost.

1 Corinthians 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

The ritual of baptism had no power but it was required to be saved(Acts 2:38).

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's all in the message. John the baptist preached a baptism (water) of repentence for remission of sins. The new testament is remission through faith in the shed blood of Christ.
Agreed. But what would be the point of making rules against getting baptised?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Thats a new one to me. I was under the impression that it was commanded. I found a few bible verses saying as much. Explain your new message.
Sometimes commands change. It was also once a command to not eat any meat. Then that changed. Then came the commands not to eat certain meats. Then that changed.

Axman

Agreed. But what would be the point of making rules against getting baptised?

Water baptism was required for remission and is a work. His shed blood for remission is received by faith. The two are contrary or in other words both can't be true.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Water baptism was required for remission and is a work. His shed blood for remission is received by faith. The two are contrary or in other words both can't be true.
I absolutely agree.

But what would be the point of a rule saying one must not get baptised?

greatdivide46

The new testament was not revealed at Pentecost.

1 Corinthians 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

The ritual of baptism had no power but it was required to be saved(Acts 2:38).
The problem with using 1 Corinthians 1:17 to disprove the necessity for baptism is that Paul was talking about divisions in the church. He was not talking about baptism. In fact the context shows that Paul did baptize some of the people there in Corinth.

greatdivide46

While baptism may be required for remission it is not what causes remission to occur, nor should baptism be considered a work. Certainly Jesus' shed blood is for remission and according to Romans 6:3-4 the only time Christians come in contact with that blood is when we are baptized. Therefore I cannot agree that remission by the blood of Christ and remission occurring when we are baptized are mutually exclusive and cannot both be true. It's kinda like comparing apples and oranges. They're not the same thing at all.

Axman

The problem with using 1 Corinthians 1:17 to disprove the necessity for baptism is that Paul was talking about divisions in the church. He was not talking about baptism. In fact the context shows that Paul did baptize some of the people there in Corinth.

Did Christ send Paul to baptize or not?

Axman

While baptism may be required for remission it is not what causes remission to occur, nor should baptism be considered a work. Certainly Jesus' shed blood is for remission and according to Romans 6:3-4 the only time Christians come in contact with that blood is when we are baptized. Therefore I cannot agree that remission by the blood of Christ and remission occurring when we are baptized are mutually exclusive and cannot both be true. It's kinda like comparing apples and oranges. They're not the same thing at all.

Under the Baptist's ministry water baptism was required for remission.
Show me the water in Rom 6:3-4.
Water baptism is not a work? How is that?

Both are for remission, one under the law and the other afterward.
You've been on this forum long enough, cut to the chase.

Status
Not open for further replies.