toldailytopic: The theory of evolution. Do you believe in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cruciform

Evolution... Science tries so hard to prove it and cannot in any way prove or recreate it in the lab, numerous tries have failed and are still failing, Math says its impossible. Why would anyone believe in Evolution ? Science, Paleontology, and Math are proving more and more the historical events recorded in the Bible are true. My theory on why people choose blindly to accept evolution with NO basis of any kind is that, the alternative would mean that they would have to accept the possibility of God and therefor be responsible to a higher power and calling.
:sigh:...

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Nydhogg

I trust science. At least, it works. When it doesn't work, they scrap it and replace it with things that do.

What's not to trust there?

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In YOUR opinion which doesn't actually count for much.
Well... me and your numbers. I guess you don't trust your numbers much.

But that's the thing. On the one hand your sort love to say how theories are being overturned all the time. Then in the next breath you act like no one would dare overturn Evolution. Which is it? I say no matter what any "vested interest" if there were solid evidence against evolution, it would be dead already. Someone would have become famous out of upsetting the apple cart. As anyone else that has ever overturned a major scientific idea has done, Einstein, Copernicus, Watson and Crick, etc.
The fact remains. You can't put much confidence in a process where the people who have a vested interest in a certain pattern are the same ones that weigh the factors that determine the pattern.

Except it isn't. If the numbers are what you are implying they are, everything would die an instant a mutation happened. We know that doesn't happen. We know that we can have major changes in form.
They're your numbers.

Things don't die because the system is robust, not because we can count on magic mutations to keep us alive.

Yorzhik said:
And this is just one sequence. Even if you are lucky enough to get a sequence that works, it has to be in an organism that has a selective advantage before that new sequence will spread to the population.
Alate_One said:
No it doesn't and you know better.
Oh, sure, there is luck, but do you really want to rely on that for the majority of your changes to get fixed in a population?

You can cover the genome of any organism with a population of a few thousand and a few generations given known mutation rates. This means every mutation WILL happen every few generations.
Sure. But your population goes down to ONE when you get the mutation you need. Then, somehow, that mutation has to get fixed in the population. I'll agree that the lucky individual and its immediate offspring and offspring's offspring could receive the lucky mutations one generation after the next. Heck, give them all two... or three lucky mutations every one! Your population that has the mutations to fix into a population is reduced to a few no matter what.

It's a physical limitation you cannot get around.

Your math argument is simply wrong and yes I have run these numbers for you before. Stop pretending you don't know this. Barbarian answered a lot of your objections already.
Barbarian thought I was saying the whole sequence appears, correctly, at once. That's such a great misunderstanding it isn't worth answering.

But the math argument is sound. Your possibilities are so many, your possible working sequences are so few. Unless you have DNA fairies, you can't get around it.

That's the thing if it doesn't work, there isn't necessarily a generation. Think about this. If you have say fish. A fish like a salmon can produce 35,000 eggs in a spawning run. That's a heck of a lot of dice rolls at once. And for much of the history of life on earth (and for most of the living organisms on earth) we are dealing with those kinds of numbers. Your thinking on this matter is incredibly limited.
Well, 35K eggs would certainly help, but the numbers don't lie; Once a lucky hatchling has the mutation that is the first in a line of mutations needed for the new functional cyt c, your population with the new mutation is now reduced to ONE.

But even if 35K eggs helps enough to make a plausible argument, you
still have to explain vast differences in groups whose reproduction is 3 magnitudes less. But I don't know why I'm so generous, having 35K eggs doesn't even hardly help get out from the mountain of probability you're under.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
The fact remains. You can't put much confidence in a process where the people who have a vested interest in a certain pattern are the same ones that weigh the factors that determine the pattern.

So we can't put much confidence in any process? C'mon, nihilism isn't going to get you anywhere, either. That's just a feeble attempt to deny that we can know anything.

Things don't die because the system is robust, not because we can count on magic mutations to keep us alive.

Unless it's for example, a mutation that provides immunity to HIV. Or one that prevents hardening of the arteries. Or one that provides resistance to malaria. Stuff like that.

Oh, sure, there is luck, but do you really want to rely on that for the majority of your changes to get fixed in a population?

Darwin's great discovery was that it wasn't about luck.

Alate_One writes:
You can cover the genome of any organism with a population of a few thousand and a few generations given known mutation rates. This means every mutation WILL happen every few generations.

Sure. But your population goes down to ONE when you get the mutation you need.

You really believe that? Mendel showed why this is not so, in a sexually reproducing species.

Then, somehow, that mutation has to get fixed in the population.

Learn about population genetics. It makes it clear how the process works. And it's been directly observed.

I'll agree that the lucky individual and its immediate offspring and offspring's offspring could receive the lucky mutations one generation after the next.

Doesn't happen that way. Would you be offended, if I asked you to spend a little time learning how it works?

It's a physical limitation you cannot get around.

Only if you actually believe the stork is how babies get here.

Barbarian thought I was saying the whole sequence appears, correctly, at once. That's such a great misunderstanding it isn't worth answering.

And now, you seem to believe there's no such thing as sexual reproduction. I'm pretty sure you're just tossing this stuff out without thinking about the implications.

Arthur Brain

Evolution... Science tries so hard to prove it and cannot in any way prove or recreate it in the lab, numerous tries have failed and are still failing, Math says its impossible. Why would anyone believe in Evolution ? Science, Paleontology, and Math are proving more and more the historical events recorded in the Bible are true. My theory on why people choose blindly to accept evolution with NO basis of any kind is that, the alternative would mean that they would have to accept the possibility of God and therefor be responsible to a higher power and calling.

Except that many theists have no problem with accepting evolutionary theory along with belief. It's only a threat to the 'hardcore' creationists where the framework of faith is affected by that which contravenes rigid literalism. It's no better than the more zealous atheist perspective in which evolution does away with God. They're both blinkered....

:plain:

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
Lets start from the beginning on your point that thousands of possible dna sequences can produce the protein cytochrome-C. You claim that most of all of these sequences can replace each other in a genome without any phenotypic effect. Let us grant you that for now. You also claim that God could have used almost limitles different genomes in both the chimp and the human. How do you arrive at that conclusion from the assertion you made that i have allowed to stand?

Alate_One

Lets start from the beginning on your point that thousands of possible dna sequences can produce the protein cytochrome-C. You claim that most of all of these sequences can replace each other in a genome without any phenotypic effect. Let us grant you that for now. You also claim that God could have used almost limitles different genomes in both the chimp and the human. How do you arrive at that conclusion from the assertion you made that i have allowed to stand?
Because if one gene sequence can have thousands of different versions with the same function, why can't all of them?

And if there are huge numbers of ways to make the same thing why should God choose to make humans and chimpanzees or humans and gorillas or orangutans for that matter ALL almost identical across the vast majority of their DNA? If He didn't use evolution, why would He make it look like He did?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
if one gene sequence can have thousands of different versions with the same function, why can't all of them?
They can. But the different versions affect more than just one function. Where they make no difference in your limited analysis they do make a difference in the functions you ignore.

We've already been through this. Why do you ignore the fact that you've been answered?

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
Because if one gene
sequence can have
thousands of different
versions with the same
function, why can't all of
them?
And if there are huge
numbers of ways to make
the same thing why should
God choose to make
humans and chimpanzees
or humans and gorillas or
orangutans for that matter
ALL almost identical across
the vast majority of their
DNA? If He didn't use
evolution, why would He
make it look like He did?
----------------------------------------------------------------We don't know if all genes can have a multitude of arrangements but even if they can, that does not answer my question. I also do not see what it is that you are calling identical across ALL genomes. What exact parts are identical that you are talking about? You ask why did God make them all look the same. I don't agree he did make them look identical as you claim unless you can show me what it is that is identical. Still haven't answered my question. Here is what i see you to be claiming: Most genomes are identical to a large degree. Most genes in any genome can have a multitude of versions. Therefore, there is no reason why the genomes should have so much of their sequences to be identical. Here is what you must believe to be true in order to make that conclusion: You can take all or a huge proportion of the genes in a genome and replace them with a different version that is known to produce the same protein and you will get absolutely no difference in phenotopic effect. What makes you think this is true?

Alate_One

I would argue there isn't a strong vested interest in obtaining a "certain pattern". People recognized the pattern long before there was evolution.

Funny that, Here's a mutation that does keep humans alive and healthy for much longer than normal. I wish I had it . . .

But the math argument is sound. Your possibilities are so many, your possible working sequences are so few. Unless you have DNA fairies, you can't get around it.
As I said, the non-working ones won't show up. And you are forgetting about gene duplication.

Well, 35K eggs would certainly help, but the numbers don't lie; Once a lucky hatchling has the mutation that is the first in a line of mutations needed for the new functional cyt c, your population with the new mutation is now reduced to ONE.

But even if 35K eggs helps enough to make a plausible argument, you still have to explain vast differences in groups whose reproduction is 3 magnitudes less. But I don't know why I'm so generous, having 35K eggs doesn't even hardly help get out from the mountain of probability you're under.

As Barb already pointed out, you seem to have forgotten about sexual reproduction. If your lucky mutant gets to reproduce . . .guess what? You have at least 15,000 lucky mutant offspring the very next generation. and then each one of them can go on and do the same and so on and so on . . . So that even if your offspring is more like 10 per generation, the multiplication of sexual reproduction can spread your mutation all over the place in short order, since most organisms have relatively short generation times. And of course the partners might have other mutations that have a synergistic effect on the other mutations and you have all sorts of combinations that may have a selective advantage.

In short you have a real failure to understand how biology works. You think organisms are like fragile pieces of human technology that can break when bumped the wrong way, but they aren't their resilience is what allows them to change.

mingus

The Sweetness

What is so scary about believing that God created everything and gave his creations the ability to adapt in small ways ? not like a fish evolved into man or whatever, but like skin color adapting to climate. why do you people argue over such matters ? the links you have posted are flawed, written by people who who will never accept creationism. Now tell me why would someone assume that one would be uneducated for throwing out the information you have posted, and yet consider someone that throws away the word of God in pursuit of flawed science (Darwin) a genius ?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Funny that, Here's a mutation that does keep humans alive and healthy for much longer than normal. [u rl=htt p://ww w.ncbi. nlm.nih.gov/ pmc/artic les/PMC254 4566/? tool=p mcen trez]I wish I had it . . .[/url]
This is utterly unhelpful, Alate. In order to accept this evidence one first needs to assume the truth of evolutionary theory. What you present as fact is what we are discussing. Can you not think things through before link dropping?

Alate_One

We don't know if all genes can have a multitude of arrangements but even if they can, that does not answer my question.
You're misunderstanding my point apparently.

I also do not see what it is that you are calling identical across ALL genomes.
I'm not talking about across ALL genomes. I'm talking about looking at genomes of evolutionarily RELATED organisms. Those that are more closely related are more similar at the DNA level. This is the Chimp DNA is 95% (or so) similar to human DNA. Organutans slightly less so, Gorillas also, but they are all far more similar to humans than any is to say a capuchin monkey or a lemur. Why is that the case when it doesn't have to be?

What exact parts are identical that you are talking about?
The genes, the noncoding regions.

You ask why did God make them all look the same. I don't agree he did make them look identical as you claim unless you can show me what it is that is identical.
You want me to line up all three billion base pairs so you can check them out? :dizzy:

Still haven't answered my question. Here is what i see you to be claiming: Most genomes are identical to a large degree.
No, most RELATED organisms have very similar genes and genomes. The farther apart in evolutionary distance two organisms are, the more different their genes will be, even if they have the same function. We can look at the milk protein genes from whales and other mammals and see that they cluster with artiodactyls (even toed herbivores)

Most genes in any genome can have a multitude of versions. Therefore, there is no reason why the genomes should have so much of their sequences to be identical. Here is what you must believe to be true in order to make that conclusion: You can take all or a huge proportion of the genes in a genome and replace them with a different version that is known to produce the same protein and you will get absolutely no difference in phenotopic effect. What makes you think this is true?
Because we've done it? We've even taken master control genes that initiate the instructions to make eyes in vertebrates, expressed them in fruit flies and . .they can make eyes . . .

Alate_One

This is utterly unhelpful, Alate. In order to accept this evidence one first needs to assume the truth of evolutionary theory.
Then explain why people that have this variant live so much longer than other people. Why do only SOME people have it and not others?

Can you not think things through before link dropping?
How about you actually READ the scientific article I linked before jumping off the deep end?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Then explain why people that have this variant live so much longer than other people. Why do only SOME people have it and not others?
Are you trying to not understand everything I say?

Your link is totally unhelpful to a reasoned debate. We have a topic and your link is a distraction. We realise it works to the atheist's advantage to ensure no clear and honest dialogue takes place, but for once could you stick to a single discussion and quit posting things that require the reader to assume your conclusion?

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
Because we've done it?
We've even taken master
control genes that initiate
the instructions to make
eyes in vertebrates,
expressed them in fruit
flies and . .they can make
eyes . . .-------This example that you gave doesn't come anywhere near to the situation that i said had to be true for your conclusion to be true. Here is what i stated again Had to be true to make your conclusion true: You must be able to take ALL or NEARLY ALL of the protein coding sequences in a genome and replace them with a variation that produces the same protein and get absolutely no difference in phenotypic effect. Your example did not do this at all. I asked why you thought it was true. You said because it had been done and proceeded with the fruit fly example. You did not replace all protein coding genes in the genome in that example and so i ask youagain why you believe it to be true?

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
We've even taken master
control genes that initiate
the instructions to make
eyes in vertebrates,
expressed them in fruit
flies and . .they can make
eyes . . .-----that example provides the answer to the question you had here:----- I'm talking
about looking at genomes
of evolutionarily RELATED
organisms. Those that are
more closely related are
more similar at the DNA
level. This is the Chimp DNA
is 95% (or so) similar to
human DNA. Organutans
slightly less so, Gorillas
also, but they are all far
more similar to humans
than any is to say a