toldailytopic: The theory of evolution. Do you believe in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
This is exactly
the expected pattern of
similarity that would result
if humans and
chimpanzees shared a
recent common ancestor
and mice and chickens were
more distantly related.------alateones creationist paste. It also reveals that the chimp and human share more physiology and body chemistry than chickens and humans do.

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
Hey voltaire, how can you
falsify YEC?-----pyramidhead. Falsify one of the claims upon which YEC would fall apart if the claims were false. One way would be to take a human genome and replace every protein coding sequence with that from another animal as long as the sequence was at least slightly altered. Also, replace all "junk DNA" in a human genome with that from other animals on the condition the sequences were at least slightly different. Replace all these sequences all at the same time. Take a human zygote and remove the chromosomes and replace them with the created genome and place it in the mothers uterus. If you get a perfectly healthy human that doesn't look like another animal then YEC is falsified.

Alate_One

no, it's a compromised creationist flowering into a full fledged darwinian evolutionist who leaves no room for God at all in his creation. I'm trying to find where our argument left off before life got in the way.
No. Todd Wood is a YEC just like you. However he admits that the evidence supports Evolution and common descent. He believes YEC IN SPITE OF the evidence. Look him up and you will see.

Alate_One

Falsify one of the claims upon which YEC would fall apart if the claims were false. One way would be to take a human genome and replace every protein coding sequence with that from another animal as long as the sequence was at least slightly altered. Also, replace all "junk DNA" in a human genome with that from other animals on the condition the sequences were at least slightly different. Replace all these sequences all at the same time. Take a human zygote and remove the chromosomes and replace them with the created genome and place it in the mothers uterus. If you get a perfectly healthy human that doesn't look like another animal then YEC is falsified.
That would falsify evolution too . . . Each organism does have SOME genes and regulatory regions that are unique to it. You can't replace them all and get the same thing back. :kookoo: Why would you even think that? You could probably replace 70-80% of them though.

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
That sounds very difficult,
as well as a severe moral
grey area...
Also, how exactly would that
falsify YEC?------pyramidhead. It would falsify YEC because YEC claims that animal orders were created specialy without the aid of evolution. If a human could be generated from disparate pieces of DNA from thousands of different animals, it would disprove the idea that each genome for the original animal kinds were a special creation because a new kind of mechanism was proven to be able to do the same thing God alone was able to do. IOW, no creator required.

Alate_One

People recognized categories, but not a pattern of animals evolving into other animals before there was evolution.
Sure they did. At the time it was called "transmutation". The main ideas were transmutation and progressive creation. Nobody denied the pattern, but there was argument over explanation.

When the tree of life disappears, so does evolution. So anyone wanting to keep their job will support the tree of life. And supporting the tree of life is easy when you are the one weighing the factors that produce the tree.
If it's all a falsehood, why haven't the creationist organizations come out with an alternative explanation? All I've ever seen them do is chop the trunk and the major branches out of it. Evolution is undeniable, even to them.

When I say "count on" that means a mechanism that one could rely on most of the time (I knew there was a reason to keep that macro).
That's the thing, it doesn't have to be most of the time. I ran the numbers with you already. Every possible mutation WILL happen with a few generations (5 or so) in a reasonably sized population (1000+). It's like winning the lottery, for an individual it seems impossible, but everyone knows that there will be a winner, and often multiple winners within a population. And the amazing thing about evolution is those winners can reproduce and their offspring can win again later. So yes it is a mechanism I can rely on.

And if you want to bring the numbers back, the tiny time, material, and energy cost will happen so often that evolution will never get off the ground.
Hundreds of millions of years isn't *tiny* by anyone's measure. And if you were right, even microevolution would never happen. Every organism would have most of its offspring die from horrid mutations. Except that isn't at all what we observe. We humans can make massive changes in form over extremely short periods of time. There is more variation in skull shape in the domestic dog than there is in the entire *order* Carnivora. Then you're going to stand here and tell me evolution is impossible? Your numbers game is so divorced from reality it's ridiculous.

Yeah, and all the other organisms in the same population are out-producing you without the mutation by magnitudes more. How to overcome that problem? Selection won't do it, so it's either magic or ___.
No, they won't outproduce unless there's a selective DISadvantage to the mutation. Otherwise, why do we have so many different hair colors and eye colors in humans? Shouldn't the first human with blue eyes get swamped out by everyone else?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If it's all a falsehood, why haven't the creationist organizations come out with an alternative explanation?
You're certifiably insane, Alate. Why all these lies and denial. Just admit that alternatives have been explained to you (numerous times). Quit insisting there is no challenge to your religion.

Alate_One

You're certifiably insane, Alate. Why all these lies and denial. Just admit that alternatives have been explained to you (numerous times). Quit insisting there is no challenge to your religion.
goddidit isn't an explanation. Neither is "god just made it that way". That's the essence of your explanations.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
goddidit isn't an explanation. Neither is "god just made it that way". That's the essence of your explanations.

Liar.

How about you explain the substance of my explanation to you without pejorative or mockery.

Alate_One

Liar.

How about you explain the substance of my explanation to you without pejorative or mockery.
How about you explain it clearly (your explanation for the origin of the fossil record AND genetic similarities), with actual supporting evidence. You've been asked for evidence multiple times. You just wave your arms and say, it's this way, because I say so.

Stripe, you're no contributor to this thread, your only purpose here is to distract and accuse. You're the dishonest participant here. Get down to specifics or go home. Sweeping generalizations and accusations aren't going to cut it with me. You are all bluster, no substance. At least Y runs numbers.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Oh, you want more evidence that you are a liar?

Here's your challenge to God's word - monkey and human DNA are similar when it need not be. Pretending this is a rational challenge the answer is in the fact that your definition of similarity is based upon the generation of amino acids. The answer to your challenge is something you know and that you have seen. Yet you lie and say there is no answer.

And then you call me a liar.

solarb

As to chuck dumbwins theory
•Charles Darwin's theory developed in AD 1859, in his book Origin of Species. Darwin theorized that humans evolved from a lower order of animals, such as primates.
I would answer NO

Alate_One

Oh, you want more evidence that you are a liar?
No, I wanted evidence for your position on the issues raised. And what you just posted below is not evidence of me lying.

Here's your challenge to God's word - monkey and human DNA are similar when it need not be. Pretending this is a rational challenge the answer is in the fact that your definition of similarity is based upon the generation of amino acids. The answer to your challenge is something you know and that you have seen. Yet you lie and say there is no answer.
There is no answer to my challenge, if you think there is you are confused. Even the creationist I posted earlier agrees with me. Did you do what I told you to do and post the question on those other boards? Or did you understand the biology enough that you recognize that the answer you will get will agree with me and show again that you are the liar?

Alate_One

As to chuck dumbwins theory
•Charles Darwin's theory developed in AD 1859, in his book Origin of Species. Darwin theorized that humans evolved from a lower order of animals, such as primates.
I would answer NO

We ARE primates . . . :idunno: Just like we are mammals, vertebrates etc. But no that wasn't exactly what Darwin theorized, in fact he said nothing about human evolution in Origin of Species.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No, I wanted evidence for your position on the issues raised.
You need it not. You understand the answer to your challenge better than any of us.

And what you just posted below is not evidence of me lying.
Liar.

There is no answer to my challenge
Yes, there is. Liar.

if you think there is you are confused.
No, I have given you an answer. I am not confused. It was an answer I gave you.

Even the creationist I posted earlier agrees with me.
Atheists love to cite the popularity of an idea as if it affects the discussion.

Did you do what I told you to do and post the question on those other boards?
No. The ideas I found justify my answer to your challenge.

Or did you understand the biology enough that you recognize that the answer you will get will agree with me and show again that you are the liar?
Why do you call me a liar? You issued a challenge, I answered. Quit misrepresenting all the efforts made to advance what should be a very straight-forward discussion.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Stipe isn't going to take the bait. He's been lured out into the open too many times before, and he has scars to remind him of what happens when he tries to debate on the evidence.

He'll stay in the bunker and toss out stink bombs.

Alate_One

You need it not. You understand the answer to your challenge better than any of us.
I already explained to you why it isn't an "answer". There are *occasional* reasons why an amino acid sequence might need to be more particular about the DNA that encodes it, but these are few and far between.

We know this isn't true for every sequence because we can easily replace functions in disparate organisms with the different sequences.

You have continually ignored what I've said and refused to ask the ACTUAL question that is my point. There are a multitude of possible DNA sequences that can encode the exact same amino acid sequence leading to the exact same function. THIS IS A FACT.

You found an instance where a handful of codons *might* have to be the same, sometimes. This doesn't mean EVERY codon in an organism MUST stay the same or the protein won't work. That is not at all the answer you got and you know it.

We know that cytochrome C can even have different AMINO ACIDS and still have the exact same function (and replace one another). Claiming there is a functional reason for 98% DNA identity is wrong, pure and simple and you either know better and are lying or are an ignoramus and claiming you know something you do not.

Why do you call me a liar? You issued a challenge, I answered. Quit misrepresenting all the efforts made to advance what should be a very straight-forward discussion.
You misinterpreted what I asked for purposefully, and now don't want to deal with something that will actually pull you out into the open, as Barbarian already pointed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.