toldailytopic: The origin of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlastikBuddha

Life came from non-living material billions of years ago. Was God's direct intervention necessary at that point to get things started or were the mechanisms of this universe enough to ensure it would happen? I don't know.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Tell us about it.
I'm working on that...have you ever woken in the night with the impression that you've heard a noise? You stumble about in the darkness for a light and for a moment your heart is racing a bit and some primitive part of you is readying itself for a confrontation. But then you find the light switch or the lamp and the world is exactly as it should be, ordered and safe in the moment...well, imagine if when you turned that switch you were not met by the comforting ordinary, but by what you would have sworn was impossible.

That's not a sequence of events but a close approximation of the feeling of a rather profound moment of confrontation. I was and understood myself to be, considered. I mean to use that word in an absolute sense. I felt both utterly exposed in that observation and, oddly enough, liberated by it. I was at once aware (and horrifically so) of the disparity between the nature of the Observer and my own and equally aware of Its response to me, not in revulsion, but in love. It was in this...intimate understanding/sense of what observed me that I found in myself the just condemnation that I think we all come to when we are in the company of significantly better men and women, though this is a pale thing to compare my experience to...part of the difficulty of relating it. Every illustration fails it.

I was as certain of who regarded me as I had ever been of anything in my life. And in that certainty the perspective of my being altered. I could see the why of my quiet failures to resolve apparent truth with an inherent grasp, could in the face of that unhidden moment understand from what part and point my life would begin in earnest. I knew two things with a dreadful certainty: I was loved and I was unworthy. The love was God's, the judgment my own realization and clarity of insight and the way to Him from that stood between us like an easy gate.

Years after, when reading a bit by Lewis I found an echo of this in his certainty regarding an experience following the death of his wife. But this was more than that...At any rate, that's a bare sense of a larger thing I will at some point attempt to relate in full.

Son of Jack

I'm working on that...have you ever woken in the night with the impression that you've heard a noise? You stumble about in the darkness for a light and for a moment your heart is racing a bit and some primitive part of you is readying itself for a confrontation. But then you find the light switch or the lamp and the world is exactly as it should be, ordered and safe in the moment...well, imagine if when you turned that switch you were not met by the comforting ordinary, but by what you would have sworn was impossible.

That's not a sequence of events but a close approximation of the feeling of a rather profound moment of confrontation. I was and understood myself to be, considered. I mean to use that word in an absolute sense. I felt both utterly exposed in that observation and, oddly enough, liberated by it. I was at once aware (and horrifically so) of the disparity between the nature of the Observer and my own and equally aware of Its response to me, not in revulsion, but in love. It was in this...intimate understanding/sense of what observed me that I found in myself the just condemnation that I think we all come to when we are in the company of significantly better men and women, though this is a pale thing to compare my experience to...part of the difficulty of relating it. Every illustration fails it.

I was as certain of who regarded me as I had ever been of anything in my life. And in that certainty the perspective of my being altered. I could see the why of my quiet failures to resolve apparent truth with an inherent grasp, could in the face of that unhidden moment understand from what part and point my life would begin in earnest. I knew two things with a dreadful certainty: I was loved and I was unworthy. The love was God's, the judgment my own realization and clarity of insight and the way to Him from that stood between us like an easy gate.

Years after, when reading a bit by Lewis I found an echo of this in his certainty regarding an experience following the death of his wife. But this was more than that...At any rate, that's a bare sense of a larger thing I will at some point attempt to relate in full.

That's a beautiful way of expressing the inexpressible. Lewis illustrates the point you've made here in Till We Have Faces. Two times in the novel the main character, Orual, comes into contact with the Divine. The first time in an indirect way, which she convinces herself was a delusion of her mind. The second time her experience is undeniable, as she come face to face with Him...the One you named the Observer. It is a powerful novel, which, quite eloquently, makes the same point you have.

Thank you for sharing that.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I heard there's some speculation that aliens started life on Earth on the backs of crystals underwater, by having lightning strike the water.

Of course now I want to know where the water came from.

fool

Hall of Fame
I quite swearing things were impossible one day in 7th grade science class. So yeah.
Keep trying, sounds like an epiphany.

How where you certain who regarded you? You descride a sudden connection to a spirituality, how did you know it was Yaweh of the Christian Bible?

Make sure you relate it before you run out of points.
A mediocre story that gets told beats a great story that never gets told.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I would fall on the side of a Creator. How exactly He went about doing it, whether it was a long (old-earth) or fast (young earth) process, I simply don't know.

Really?

Exodus 20:11

For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Why can't Adolph Hilter be right? He thinks the master race came from outer space. Because evolution simply isn't possible.

Alate_One

Just look in any pond or lake. It's easy to imagine bacteria and simple forms of life evolving. I think at this stage in the game it's pretty obvious that there is no need for any type of divine creator.

I'm sorry but you don't know what you're talking about to say the moving creatures you can see in pond water are in any way "simple". They're simpler than multicellular organisms but they're still incredibly complex and not completely understood.

That said I think the origin of life from chemicals in a kind of pre-biotic soup MAY be possible, but the beginnings would have been far, far simpler.

None of the organisms we see today could have possibly originated directly from abiogenesis. Someone that says this has no clue about biology. Its like saying mice form from wheat and dirty clothes.

Its also possible that God created the first life, but FYI to readers . . . how life originated has no impact on the Theory of Evolution. It really doesn't matter from a scientific perspective and I believe God is sovereign regardless of how He chose to form life.

Sozo again

Life came from non-living material billions of years ago. Was God's direct intervention necessary at that point to get things started or were the mechanisms of this universe enough to ensure it would happen? I don't know.

"By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things which are visible." Hebrews 11:3

I rest my case.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
How where you certain who regarded you? You descride a sudden connection to a spirituality, how did you know it was Yaweh of the Christian Bible?
The first time I crested a dune and saw the ocean it changed the way I understood and fathomed space and my physical sense of the world. I can't tell you the why of it, but something in the experience broadened my understanding on a foundational level. This is part of the difficulty in attempting to translate a transcendent moment into the artifice, helpful as it often is, of language.

:think: I'll keep attempting it then...My wife once asked me, irritably and in the midst of an illness that had us both hacking feverishly about our home, how I managed to remain in good spirits. I responded that it isn't something one does, but something one is...how is that applicable here? The answer is that there you appear to be looking for a mechanism to the thing when the thing and mechanism were one and the same. Just as the confrontation/observation was a clear impression of God in the moment that required nothing of me but recognition, so the nature of His expression was unmistakably, integrally a part of the experience.
A mediocre story that gets told beats a great story that never gets told.
I rather like approaching it in fits and starts this way. Each time I do I think I capture something different but true to the experience. It will never be a traditional narrative. I don't think it can be. What happened to me in the moment and over the course of my long, dark night isn't the stuff of simple chronological telling and neatly tied epiphany. I don't see how it could be.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
It is your idiocy that is gigantic.
Miniscule compared to yours.

Did they teach you that in english, the adjective goes before the noun it describes?

Yes, and that's how I typed it. There's nothing gramatically wrong with that sentence. I could be wrong, I was there for maths and science courses. And really Nick, if you are going to go Spelling and Grammar Nazi on me, make sure you are right. It also helps that you don't make any mistakes yourself, like not capitalizing a proper noun.

Status
Not open for further replies.