toldailytopic: The Obama administration wants to hold the 9-11 mastermind (KSM) trial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 2nd, 2010 10:18 AM

toldailytopic: The Obama administration wants to hold the 9-11 mastermind (KSM) trial in New York City. Is that a wise thing to do?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

penofareadywriter

I think he should be tried, but I think giving him certain American Rights is not cool. All men are created equal and are given unalienable rights, but does that mean he should be treated as an American? Or is there a difference?

Cracked

I think it makes an appropriate statement - we are not afraid of you mixed with offering even our greatest alleged enemies fair representation in a trial. I think it is appropriate to take the highest ground possible.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I think it's appropriate that he meet justice in the shadow of his violation of its principle...:think:

greatdivide46

Nope. I don't believe non-citizens should be accorded the same rights as American citizens. I think non-citizens should be tried in military courts.

Clark Frugal

How about a International Tribunal? What were the Nuremberg Trials? Like that.

But, No! I don't think they should be tried in NYC. I vote for a Military Court.

They'd still be innocent-until-proven-guilty, yes?

In NYC it would be hard to get a Jury-of-their-peers. And yikes! What would that look like?! :devil:

WizardofOz

I'm for it. If non-citizens commit murder in NYC, they get charged and tried based on the laws where the crime was committed.

Same principle applies.

Clark Frugal

I'm for it. If non-citizens commit murder in NYC, they get charged and tried based on the laws where the crime was committed.

Same principle applies.
I agree. what confuses me is due-process in time of war. war means battle lines. the attack on NYC was an act of war. it was, "welcome to the first war of the 21st century."

If this due-process response to an act of war then maybe we shouldn't simply use our local courts.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Trial in NYC is pure political theater. It does not demonstrate anything more than Obama's and Holder's disdain for the military. Public statements of administration officials i.e., sure death sentence, have poisoned the well of potential jurors. In the military system, this would be close to, if not right on, command interference and would result in immediate dismissal of all charges.

Any way one wishes to slice it, this whole debacle represents the worst political corruption of the justice system ever.

So much for demonstrating to the world how wonderful and "just" we are.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Trial in NYC is pure political theater. It does not demonstrate anything more than Obama's and Holder's disdain for the military. Public statements of administration officials i.e., sure death sentence, have poisoned the well of potential jurors. In the military system, this would be close to, if not right on, command interference and would result in immediate dismissal of all charges.

Any way one wishes to slice it, this whole debacle represents the worst political corruption of the justice system ever.

So much for demonstrating to the world how wonderful and "just" we are.

^^^^^
This X2

:rolleyes: .....besides, the idea of "securing" lower Manhatten Island is a joke. This would have been nothing but an immense waste of money for nothing more than a show (and a bad one at that).

If this thing has to be a Federal Trial, and in the shadow of what was once the Towers, they should at least show a bit of sense and have it on Govenors Island. :plain:

KingLouie

Nope. I don't believe non-citizens should be accorded the same rights as American citizens. I think non-citizens should be tried in military courts.

I agree that this terrorist and all others like him should be treated/tried as an enemy combatant in a military court, but NOT all non-citizens.

Not withstanding; it seems like our military court has lost its gonads just like the civilian courts...

I anticipate that the results will not be much different, except that it should be faster and cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.