toldailytopic: The Catholics: what did they get right, and what did they get wrong?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 20th, 2011 10:21 AM

toldailytopic: The Catholics: what did they get right, and what did they get wrong?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Evoken

Bah, heading out now...nice timing Knight :p Anyway, briefly and quickly put:

What did they get right?
The Catholic faith, as it is not the product of mere human effort, is not something which some people "get right", but is that faith which God through his Church has determined to reveal and propose as the one and proper means by which men are to worship him. This being so, everything, as far as it pertains to that which belongs to the deposit of faith and is taught and proposed by The Church for belief, is what Catholics "get right", as it is precisely this which God has enjoined.

What did they get wrong?
- Vatican II (not saying I reject the council or think it is necessarily in error).
- Ecumenism
- The modern trend by many in the Church hierarchy to focus on earthly goals and the achievement of natural good as opposed to supernatural ones.

Could expand on this but heading out now.

Evo

griffinsavard

Christians should fully understand and have the faith to believe that God wants to be their friend. Christ is our Savior and we all are brothers, no man should be called papa or father. There is only one Father and that is our God. 'OUR FATHER WHO ART IN HEAVEN, hallowed be thy name.....

The Pope and the Magisterium is guilty of Blasphemey.....True Christians should condemn them for this abomination.

I cry Blasphemey and Abomination and anyone who supports these sins will receive the plagues.....

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I've been wanting to read more about the Catholic Church and its history.

I like the strong tradition in Catholicism.
I like their attention to "works".
In some ways I think it makes sense that there should be a representative for God on earth.

I just can't follow some of their doctrines though. Praying to the saints and transubstantiation to name a couple.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
What did they get wrong?
- Vatican II (not saying I reject the council or think it is necessarily in error).
If you aren't rejecting it and don't think it is in error, then why exactly are you saying they got it wrong? :chuckle:

- The modern trend by many in the Church hierarchy to focus on earthly goals and the achievement of natural good as opposed to supernatural ones.
Can you expand on this?
What natural good are they doing? And what supernatural good do you think they are neglecting?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
If any Catholics can recommend some good reading about the Church and its history, let me know. :e4e:

Aimiel

RIGHT: They spell Jesus' Name right.

WRONG: Everything else. All their 'righteousnesses' are simply filthy rags. They depend on their own works to save them. They think of Jesus as a mystic and an idol. They make a mockery of God's Holy Word. Everything they say and do is tainted by this world. Their idols are obvious: statues, paintings, cathedrals, their own lives, their holier-than-thou attitude towards Christians and non-Christains alike. Their hatred of Jews. Their hatred of anything non-Catholic. Their zenophobic lives. Their beads. Their worship of dead 'saints' and especially Mary, who may or may not have been a Christian. They're simply not Godly or anything close to being Godly. Jesus came to turn religion on it's ear and give us the ability to come into a relationship with Him. Catholics want to turn Jesus on His Ear and keep anyone from relating to Him in any way, shape or form. They prevent others from entering Heaven all day long and never once enter in themselves. They laden men with burdens grievous to be borne and never once take a single one of those burdens upon themselves. They're anathema. They are the WORST enemies that Truth has on this earth. The great whore is Rome. They need to get down to the clue store.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Here is a brief synopsis of significant Roman Catholic Beliefs and Practices in General.

Papacy
:down:
Infant Baptism
:down:
Catholics believe that truth is found in the Bible, as interpreted by the church, but also found in church tradition.:down:
Apocrypha :down:
Forbidding the clergy to marry. :down:
Forgiveness of sin is achieved through church ritual, with the assistance of a priest in confession. :down:
Hell-"the place of punishment for the damned" including limbo of infants, limbo of the Fathers, and purgatory. :down:
Immaculate Conception of Mary. :down:
Transubstantiation. :down:
Infallibility of the Pope. :down:
Mary's status-Virgin Mary is below Jesus but above that of the saints. :down:
Prayers to Mary or Deceased Saints. :down:
Purgatory. :down:
Right to Life. :up:
Sacraments. :down:
Saints given special emphasis. (cannonization). :down:
Salvation depends on faith, works and sacraments. :down:
Salvation is lost when a responsible person commits a mortal sin. It can be regained through repentance and the sacrament of confession. :down:
Giving Honor to statues and images as symbolic of the individual saints. :down:
Catholics believe their church is the Bride of Christ. :down:
The Trinity. :up:
Death, Burial and Resurrection of Christ. :up:

There are way too many thumbs down here for me to be comfortable in a Catholic Church. This denomination is a pack of dogmas. The older a denomination gets the more dogmas it picks up. Older is not necessarily better.

some other dude

Funny hats. The Catholics have a total lock on funny hats.

The+Pope+and+hat

some other dude

There are way too many thumbs down here for me to be comfortable in a Catholic Church. This denomination is a pack of dogmas. The older a denomination gets the more dogmas it picks up. Older is not necessarily better.

Well, IK, you know what they say. You can't teach an old dogma new tricks.

griffinsavard

What they got wrong.....

The Gospel is wrong

The afterlife doctrine is wrong

The hierarchy is wrong

The priesthood and leadership is wrong

The goal and purpose of the church is wrong

The monopoly of Bible teaching and interpretation is wrong

The way the carry out their policies is wrong

The killing and burning of those who disagree with them is wrong

The penance, pilgrimages, rosaries, and rituals is wrong

The holy-days and celebrations is wrong

The building of St. Peters temple is wrong

The idea of a Supreme Pontiff is wrong

The idolization of Mary is wrong

The prayers to dead saints is wrong

Indulgences is wrong

Purgatory is wrong

And pretty much everything else they do is tainted by pagan customs and rituals

The 'holy wars' and crusades were wrong

Their fornicating with the world is wrong

Their fornicating with Prices and Kings and Leaders of nations is wrong

Their covetous ways are wrong

Their Magisterium Sacerdotal vestments are wrong

Their kissing the foot of Peter is wrong

Their bowing and kissing the hand of the Pope is wrong

Their taking from the poor Lazarus to stuff their fat face is wrong

Babylons sins and wickedness reaches to heaven and soon she will be judged.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well, IK, you know what they say. You can't teach an old dogma new tricks.

This is also what happens when you take the Bible out of the hands of the laity, which the Catholic church did for years. The Catholic Church still hijacks biblical interpretation. With out letting people read and understand the Bible for themselves, you get whole mess of dogma like this.

Aimiel

The Bible was written so the simple could understand it. The 'crafty' keep it from everyone, so they can rule over them. It just doesn't fly. The 'catholic' church is worthless. Worse than that: they're the largest liability The Body of Christ has. They cripple Him, so that He cannot walk. Everywhere we go, we're hindered by their 'works' which prevent so many from believing Truth.

Cruciform

Yep, here come the stereotypically ignorant anti-Catholic misrepresentations of Catholic doctrine and practice, with grif leading the way. He's grossly incorrect, but at least he's predictable. :yawn:

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Aimiel

The foolishness of the pretend Christians who call themselves Catholic make Christians ashamed and sad.