toldailytopic: Should the Boy Scouts of America lift the gay ban and allow homosexual

oatmeal

Unfounded nonsense! Gays who are "out of the Closet" have a very low risk of sexual offenses. It's the closet cases you got to worry about. Just look around TOL.

And you cannot debate someone into being gay. People with gender confusion ought not throw their undergarments at others.

No, but they could be seduced into it, especially if they are young and impressionable and defenseless against it.

oatmeal

Uberpod1

BANNED
Banned
Ode to oatmeal

Religious folks are psychotic, morally and mentally deranged.

They are curable, but that does not lessen their impracticality against the common good of mankind.

Religiosity is a form of brain fever.

That is why they are so dangerous.

Light dispels darkness. Knowledge dispels superstition.

The light of empiricism dispels darkness.

The religious are dimwitted and they serve no practical good.

:DK:

Uberpod1

BANNED
Banned
No, but they could be seduced into it, especially if they are young and impressionable and defenseless against it.

oatmeal
Possibly. Seduced into behavior only not into homosexual identity.

But, closeted homosexuals like priests are more likely to manipulate. Open homosexuals are free to seek partners legitimately.

alwight

No, they shouldn't. I've never met a gay guy that wasn't approached during his formative years by an older gay, and I've listened to enough testimonies to know it to be true. Anyone with any common sense would question why a homosexual is drawn to be around boys to begin with.
Get out much?:rolleyes:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
tsk tsk, Your intolerant generalizing is showing again. Not all gays dress as such, anyway straight troop leaders don't teach sex as a general rule, why is it an issue when the subject becomes a gay troop leaders? Much ado over nothing.

Call me intolerant, but I wouldn't let a straight male adult take my 13 year old daughter camping either.

alwight

Call me intolerant, but I wouldn't let a straight male male adult take my 13 year old daughter camping either.
Not sure what a male male is but yes that is right, anyone could be an undesirable around young people, let's leave homophobic bigotry out of it and find better ways to filter them out.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Unfounded nonsense! Gays who are "out of the Closet" have a very low risk of sexual offenses. It's the closet cases you got to worry about. Just look around TOL.
I am completely sick of your innuendo!

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
No, giving in is giving up.

They should form their own club, might be called sissyboy scoots

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

And you cannot debate someone into being gay. People with gender confusion ought not throw their undergarments at others.
You can't help being such a knob..

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am completely sick of your innuendo!

He probably is trying to force his misery on others or he's jealous of heterosexuals. Hetero envy. The sad truth is that he won't admit his sick condition is curable.

alwight

He probably is trying to force his misery on others or he's jealous of heterosexuals. Hetero envy. The sad truth is that he won't admit his sick condition is curable.
In your mind perhaps homosexuality does need to be and can be "cured", but reality seems to be rather different.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Should the Boy Scouts of America lift the gay ban and allow homosexual troop leaders?

Like the military did?

By that I mean they're already there... this would just allow them to be open about it.

Of course, more pedophiles will try to join up while identifying as homosexual in an attempt to avoid discrimination, if the Boy Scouts stop discriminating.

They should not stop discriminating.

LKmommy

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 11th, 2013 06:00 AM

toldailytopic: Should the Boy Scouts of America lift the gay ban and allow homosexual troop leaders?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

NO, they should not lift the ban! That would go against their own oaths:

DUTY TO GOD AND COUNTRY: Your family and religious leaders teach you to know and serve God. By following these teachings, you do your duty to God.
Men and women of the past worked to make America great, and many gave their lives for their country. By being a good family member and a good citizen, by working for your country's good and obeying its laws, you do your duty to your country. Obeying the Scout Law means living by its 12 points.

DUTY TO OTHER PEOPLE: Many people need help. A cheery smile and a helping hand make life easier for others. By doing a Good Turn daily and helping when you're needed, you prove yourself a Scout and do your part to make this a better world.

DUTY TO SELF: Keeping yourself physically strong means taking care of your body. Eat the right foods and build your strength. Staying mentally awake means learn all you can, be curious, and ask questions. Being morally straight means to live your life with honesty, to be clean in your speech and actions, and to be a person of strong character.(http://scoutmaster.org/ADVANCE/boyscout/bsoathlaw.asp)

Dialogos

I agree. But in a society founded on equality of freedom, justice, and opportunity, I think this change is both positive and necessary.
"Equality," "justice" and "freedom" have to do with whether or not someone has equal protection and equal rights under the law. The Boy Scouts of America have no more obligation to put their stamp of approval on homosexual behavior than the Atheist Club has the obligation to affirm the existence of God. They have the right (or at least ought to have the right) to make value choices based on morality (rather than sticking their finger in the wind to see which direction the cultural wind is blowing). Encouraging immoral behavior, or refusing to discourage immoral behavior is not "positive" in any right understanding of the term.

But the real issue, as I see it, is that the boy scouts have found themselves in the cross hairs of the homosexual agenda.
In fact, when it comes to the politicization of homosexuality, what is desired really isn't "equality" or "freedom" or "justice" at all. The goal is to penetrate and permeate all strata of society and then to criminalize all dissenting opinion.

The BSA is just another step in a much larger campaign to normalize homosexuality and marginalize the biblical/traditional definition of a family.

PureX said:
I don't think anyone is "confused". I think they are simply prejudiced, and practicing willful ignorance so as to mainain that prejudice.
Calling people who stand up for biblical values as "prejudiced" or "ignorant" is just parroting the talking points of the homosexual agenda. All it amounts to is illogical banter using emotionally charged rhetoric but I guess it doesn't take too much effort or intellect so I can understand why it would be so tempting for some to to trot out those old horses.

PureX said:
I'm sure the klu klux klan would say the same thing about their "Biblical" understand of racial bias....
Thank you for demonstrating the transfer fallacy (or fallacy of association) to everyone who wants to learn illogical argumentation. You could not have given a more beautiful example (and therefore a more irrational response).

PureX said:
People can justify all sorts of nonsense in the name of God and the Bible. And they have done so for centuries.
So what?

People have used the bible in the name of God to support slavery and people have used the bible in the name of God for the emancipation of slavery.

Racists used the bible to appose racial equality and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. used the bible to promote it.

The real question for those who hold the bible in any esteem is, "what does it say about homosexuality?" That's not a hard question to answer by the way.

PureX said:
I think the Boy Scouts have a couple of important decisions to make. One is if they want to be a religious Christian organization, and the other is if they want to use their religion to promote ignorance and prejudice regarding homosexuality.
I agree.

It would be ignorant to have read the bible and come away with the notion that homosexual behavior is in any way acceptable and it would be prejudiced to label bible believing Christians as "ignorant" just because they don't agree with the pop-cultural, media driven love affair with homosexuality and gender confusion.

PureX said:
It's up to them, but if they choose the affirmative, they will have less and less relevance and impact within our society.
First, I'm not convinced that "our society" can be accurately defined by the talking heads on the nightly news, the social stance of Hollywood or the loudest voices in the gay pride parade. I think that there is still a large contingent of "our society" that go to bible believing churches on Sunday and who actually believe that "truth" is synonymous with "biblical truth."

But lets assume that "our society" is the way you think it is.

Why would we want the boy scouts to become the lapdog of the prevailing culture? Don't we want them to be leaders? Or do we just want the leadership of the BSA to be yet another milquetoast organization that pays homage to the gay rights movement. You and I both know that the BSA is being pressured to conform and were it not for that pressure no reason would be sought to to discuss the matter.

Personally, I think that if the BSA can't stand on conscience in the face of societal pressure, then they lose the right to be heard as a voice for leadership in culture anyway.

PureX said:
But I think they may be realizing that they don't want to be a fundamentalist Christian boy's indoctrination center.
When have they ever been that?

Whether you like it or not, the issue of homosexuality is not a "fundamentalists verses the rest of the country" kind of question. Mainline protestants of many denominations are joined by Evangelicals of all stripes along with the Catholics, the Eastern Orthodox and conservative Jewish citizens across the country in affirming heterosexuality as God's plan for sexual expression.

PureX said:
Maybe they just want to help boys learn how to become good citizens, and adults, regardless of religious dogma or sexual orientation.

Then they need to rework their oath which is not without regard to religion or morality.

On my honor, I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.

Last edited: