toldailytopic: Should the Boy Scouts of America lift the gay ban and allow homosexual

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 11th, 2013 06:00 AM

toldailytopic: Should the Boy Scouts of America lift the gay ban and allow homosexual troop leaders?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Absolutely not. Perverts have no place in shaping the minds of youth. That is how they reproduce. Not to mention the risk to the boys having such reprobates as leaders.

bybee

Sure, Why not?

Do they have a sexual orientation merit badge?

No! Why not?
The Boy Scouts are about building strong bodies, minds and spirits in boys and young men.
So far they haven't marched in Mardi Gras parades dressed like femme fatales.

quip

BANNED
Banned
No! Why not?
The Boy Scouts are about building strong bodies, minds and spirits in boys and young men.
So far they haven't marched in Mardi Gras parades dressed like femme fatales.

tsk tsk, Your intolerant generalizing is showing again. Not all gays dress as such, anyway straight troop leaders don't teach sex as a general rule, why is it an issue when the subject becomes a gay troop leaders? Much ado over nothing.

bybee

tsk tsk, Your intolerant generalizing is showing again. Not all gays dress as such, anyway straight troop leaders don't teach sex as a general rule, why is it an issue when the subject becomes a gay troop leaders? Much ado over nothing.

Not to me. I don't have prejudice against gays.
I don't like the idea of a group being forced to alter its qualifications by outside pressures.
If they don't want gays in their organization that is their choice. They ought to remain free to make that choice.
And by the by my "intolerant generalization" is matched by your own.

PureX

I don't like the idea of a group being forced to alter its qualifications by outside pressures.
All things change over time, and we learn to adapt or parish. And in the case of this kind of ignorant bias, I think it's good that this group learns to change and adapt.

I think they are realizing that a lot of parents don't want their kids involved in organizations that promote ignorance and prejudice.
If they don't want gays in their organization that is their choice. They ought to remain free to make that choice.
They are, and they are.

quip

BANNED
Banned
And by the by my "intolerant generalization" is matched by your own.

Oh, apologies...I scanned your post and assumed the worst.

Anyway, yes they're free to do what ever they want, but having good sound reasons for their actions goes a long way.

bybee

Oh, apologies...I scanned your post and assumed the worst.

Anyway, yes they're free to do what ever they want, but having good sound reasons for their actions goes a long way.

Well dearie, I have what I believe are good sound reasons for believing that a loving, caring God exists.
There are those, whom I respect, who hold other views.
They don't have to attend my church and I don't have to justify that I do attend church.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Well dearie, I have what I believe are good sound reasons for believing that a loving, caring God exists.
There are those, whom I respect, who hold other views.
They don't have to attend my church and I don't have to justify that I do attend church.

Meaning.....? (In relation to this thread.)

Granite

Hall of Fame
Yes, just lift the ban and get it over with. And it's not just applicable to scout leaders, it's applicable to the scouts themselves.

fool

Hall of Fame
I think you should have to have a boy in the troop to be a Scout Master.
Beyond that I don't see how orintation matters.

fool

Hall of Fame
Yes, just lift the ban and get it over with. And it's not just applicable to scout leaders, it's applicable to the scouts themselves.
The second part is really scary.
Who exactly determines if a twelve year old is gay and how do they go about it?

Granite

Hall of Fame
The second part is really scary.
Who exactly determines if a twelve year old is gay and how do they go about it?

I'm not too keen on this, either--plenty of ways for a kid to be misconstrued as gay, and then "dealt with" in what some hicks would consider an "appropriate" fashion--but if a twelve-year-old has the grit and smarts to self-identify as such, he should be treated well and protected from harm.

Then again all-male environments have a tendency to make these kind of determinations already, regardless of their accuracy...

fool

Hall of Fame
-but if a twelve-year-old has the grit and smarts to self-identify as such, he should be treated well and protected from harm.
Who is asking a twelve year old their sexual orientation?
Why on Earth would they take them seriously?
They're just getting into puberty, they don't even know what sex is.
trying to catogorize them at that age is just wrong.
Then again all-male environments have a tendency to make these kind of determinations already, regardless of their accuracy...
Right, I know what you mean. We had a gay guy in our troop, nobody ever said it but we kinda figured by the way his uniform was so perfectly tailored and of course the manicure. Didn't stop him from getting elected Senior Patrol Leader.
Nobody cared.
And for some reason if somebody did care what would they do?
Bring charges?
I don't remember any kind of court marshall procedure being in the hand book.