toldailytopic: Should churches be tax-exempt?

Buzzword

Do yo call yourself "Buzzword" because that's the sound you hear when you think?

Do you call yourself Lighthouse because the lights are on, but nobody's home?

Feel free to actually address the content of my post at any time.

On a side note, it doesn't matter to me which side of the aisle is being promoted from the pulpit.
If a pastor or church elder or Sunday School teacher is pushing church members to vote a certain way or support X-political cause, they have overstepped their bounds as an NPO and should have their tax exemption revoked, OR remove the person from a position of authority within the organization.

Nitro

Yes.

And so should every non-person.

Tax should only be levied on personal income at a flat rate.

Simple. Fair. Easy to police. Keeps the politicians to a strict budget.

I don't know why that wasn't in your constitution. :plain:

Yes. So should every other entity that is not a human. Flat tax on humans. That mean no corporate tax either. Basically what Stripe said.

I agree

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A flat tax would be a greater burden to the middle and lower class.

So having them pay 10% instead of 20% (middle class) would be a burden? Ok. I realize those that pay nothing would have to start paying, but they should.

Daedalean's_Sun

As long as everyone pays the same percentage it is a good thing

Not necessarily. A 30% income tax on a $50,000/yr income is going to hurt a lot more than 30% on a $200,000/yr income. It's unsurprising that the politicians advocating a flat tax usually aren't in the $40-60,000/yr income range.

IMJerusha

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 24th, 2013 06:00 AM

toldailytopic: Should churches be tax-exempt?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nope. Government does not dictate to God. 501c3 allows government to dictate what is preached from the pulpit.

HisServant

Not necessarily. A 30% income tax on a $50,000/yr income is going to hurt a lot more than 30% on a $200,000/yr income. It's unsurprising that the politicians advocating a flat tax usually aren't in the $40-60,000/yr income range.

Most flat taxes I have seen bandied about are in the 15-19% range.. which is dignificantly less than I am currently paying in my income braket (its around 30%)... I consider myself solid middleclass (100-125k) per year.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame

The exact reason why it should be a flat tax, people would not be so willing to raise taxes on anyone if theirs was being raised also. It is so easy to spend other peoples money no matter what they make. I guess it is O.K. to take more when its not yours right? Class envy and stealing is all that is.

Dena

Isn't the suggested amount something like 10%? I agree that 30% would be too high.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Isn't the suggested amount something like 10%? I agree that 30% would be too high.

If a government can't operate on 9%, it's doing something dramatically wrong.

IMJerusha

Ummm, no, the 501c(3) provides exemption.

Yeah, you talk to Rod Parsley about that!

This is specifically what the I.R.S. code states regarding 501(c)(3) corporations:

"To be tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, an organization must be organized and operated exclusively for exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c)(3), and none of its earnings may inure to any private shareholder or individual. In addition, it may not be an action organization, i.e., it may not attempt to influence legislation as a substantial part of its activities and it may not participate in any campaign activity for or against political candidates."

Therefore, holding a 501c3 prevents preaching for or against anything morally wrong politically. Speaking out against Planned Parenthood, abortion or homosexuality at a church holding a 501c3 labels that church an action organization in violation. So the church is effectively gagged by that exempt status. Churches aren't required to file for 501c3 so I don't know why they do.

Last edited:

Christ's Word

Yeah, you talk to Rod Parsley about that!

This is specifically what the I.R.S. code states regarding 501(c)(3) corporations:

"To be tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, an organization must be organized and operated exclusively for exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c)(3), and none of its earnings may inure to any private shareholder or individual. In addition, it may not be an action organization, i.e., it may not attempt to influence legislation as a substantial part of its activities and it may not participate in any campaign activity for or against political candidates."

Therefore, holding a 501c3 prevents preaching for or against anything morally wrong politically. Speaking out against Planned Parenthood, abortion or homosexuality at a church holding a 501c3 labels that church an action organization in violation. So the church is effectively gagged by that exempt status. Churches aren't required to file for 501c3 so I don't know why they do.

Exactly right!