toldailytopic: Romney vs Obama round one. Thoughts? Assessment?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 4th, 2012 07:34 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
One thing is certain, Obama looks like a retard without his teleprompter.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Remember when Mike Tyson first came on to the boxing scene? He would win fights in the first round before people even got to their seats. That's what last night was like, and I don't even like Mitt Romney but that was a flat out slaughter of monumental proportions.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Best assessment came from Dennis Miller who said... "Obama better hope that butt kicking is covered under Obamacare."

Or words to that effect. :chuckle:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I want to post a video of Mike Tyson's best knockouts so bad. But it is too far off topic.

Granite

Hall of Fame
POTUS seemed lost, listless, and ill at ease. Romney didn't score any huge zingers or knockout blows but he certainly seemed better prepared and--dare I say it--more presidential than Obama.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I thought Romney brought his bid back to life and showed the advantage of having to fight for a nomination for months. I also think he was about as misleading as he could be in attempting to court the moderate vote and that he'll pay for it in round two or the President is an idiot. A lackluster performance on the part of the President. If he does it again it's going to be a game changer.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
A lackluster performance on the part of the President. If he does it again it's going to be a game changer.
I wonder what percentage of people actually determine their vote based on a debate? It can't be a very high number can it?

However, a debate like last night might be different. That wasn't close on anyone's score card.

Silent Hunter

Why were Gary Johnson (Libertarian), Jill Stein (Green), and Virgil Goode (Constitution) left out of the debates?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I wonder what percentage of people actually determine their vote based on a debate? It can't be a very high number can it?
I don't believe they do much in the long view, absent a Nixon/Kennedy like pratfall. But even the worst debaters are better prepared. That sort of thing is unlikely at the highest level, even if now and then you get an exception (like Perry in the GOP debates). I remember watching the Bush debates with a hard right wing friend and we both agreed he lost them. Didn't matter. Was it the war or a larger commentary on the impact of debates?

However, a debate like last night might be different. That wasn't close on anyone's score card.
I think it did something tangible for Romney. His campaign needed it. He looked presidential and in command of the situation. He also wasn't playing the speech he's been running to court the conservatives he'll need. It was style aimed at those who supported but wondered about his timber and substance aimed at the middle.

I score this a meaningful win that keeps him in the game. Now I expect the President will come out next debate with an eye at pointing out the inconsistencies in message and being aggressive along the "this is who you say you are, but this is who you've been" approach. If he doesn't we may see a real impact turned into that game changer.

Buzz

Romney didn't score any huge zingers or knockout blows
On the contrary...

"I have no idea what you are talking about"... Mitt

B O looked as if he wasn't sure if he knew himself what he was talking about.

He also looked like a dog with his tail between his legs when Mitt held him accountable for spending 90 billion on "green energy", while at the same time pretending that education was a priority. Mitt knocked him to the floor when he said how many teachers could be working with 90 billion put into education (not that I want to see that).

Obama is out-matched when it comes to discussing managing money.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Remember when Mike Tyson first came on to the boxing scene? He would win fights in the first round before people even got to their seats. That's what last night was like, and I don't even like Mitt Romney but that was a flat out slaughter of monumental proportions.
I agree with you, Knight. I don't like Romney, either. But, he won, hands down.

PureX

Nothing of any note or significance happened. And the proof of this is that, as always, the partisans saw what they wanted to see, and heard what they wanted to hear.

This debate didn't change anyone's mind about anything.

Romney doesn't have a clue, and Obama is just 'doing what he can'. All in all, it was not an inspiring display.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Best assessment came from Dennis Miller who said... "Obama better hope that butt kicking is covered under Obamacare."

Or words to that effect. :chuckle:
obamadebate.jpg

drbrumley

Oromba
Posted by Lew Rockwell on October 4, 2012 07:42 AM
Yes, I actually watched the "debate" last night. It was even more boring and predictable than usual, as the two organized-crime chieftains expressed their faith in the State and its right to rule over us. But I was struck, as in the past, by Romney's potential to become the first formal American dictator. Or will they call him Augustus? With Obama, there's no there there. How nice to know that I do not need to vote for one of these men. How important not to endorse the bloody Keynesian empire that is wrecking us, and the world, by voting at all.