toldailytopic: Professional athletes who credit God for helping them win.

Silent Hunter

Yes, he is God. He is interested in those that he has called (his ekklesia).

Beyond that, God has left man to his own devices... i.e. he is not a puppet master.
Does your deity's "interest" go to giving certain athletes special abilities because they are "his" and that they should do all sorts of pointing and kneeling in the end zone (as in the case of football) to give "thanks"?

HisServant

Does your deity's "interest" go to giving certain athletes special abilities because they are "his" and that they should do all sorts of pointing and kneeling in the end zone (as in the case of football) to give "thanks"?

Given that we are told to pray in private... no.

Sum1sGruj

BANNED
Banned
Good job of quashing free-will there bucko.
Please explain how that quashes free will. I've hardly ignored the existence of free will nor credited God with the sins committed via free will. I assume then that you credit to God everything done contrary to His will by ours? That also is imo.

Predetermination and free will co-exist fully in unison. You make your choices, and God already knows them. See? Think about it a little more, and you'll start to realize it to it's full extent.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Professional athletes who credit God for helping them win.

Do you really think God is interested in the outcome of sporting events?

No, but doesn't God give us patience, comfort, wisdom, and strength if we lean on Him?

And if so, wouldn't those qualities be a value in a sporting event?
I agree, no God isn't interested as to the outcome, because footballs are pointed on both ends, basketball hoops are not a little bigger around, baseball it is 9 against one, hockey sticks and skates don't really mix, and soccer is just scoreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

These things matter more, God given patience, comfort, wisdom and strength, make for good character.

As for athletes giving God credit for the win, I think some are sincere and others it just an open of hypocrisy.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I think it's a little silly, but frankly, so's a lot that goes into pro sports.
I think it depends on what they actually say.

I have heard sports figures say things like... I just want to thank God for this victory... etc. And I think that's inappropriate. God doesn't care who wins or loses sporting events.

Yet when they say things like... I want to thank God for this day and the strength and wisdom to compete... etc. I think that type of comment is very reasonable.

In other words... thanking the the things in your life that help you be a better and more successful person is completely logical in my opinion. Parents, spouses, children, friends, family, God, are all things that help successful people be successful. It therefore isn't unreasonable that athletes thank and acknowledge those types of influences.

Last edited:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So... I guess you are the kind of kid who blamed your parents when you crashed your bicycle. :chuckle:

Hey, I still can't forgive my parents for buying me those great roller skates that I was wearing when I had one of the worst falls of my childhood. I think I'll need therapy eventually over this one.

Stinkin' parents and their thoughtful giving!! :noid:

:chuckle:

HisServant

. . . beyond genetics? Are you saying that your deity saw that these people couldn't compete otherwise so he did a "Samson" on them? Really? Or was that just for Polamalu?

Neither.. genetics and environment are what they are.. they can produce a human of infinite variety. And I don't believe God tinkers with us.

Silent Hunter

Neither.. genetics and environment are what they are.. they can produce a human of infinite variety. And I don't believe God tinkers with us.
:thumb:

Unfortunately, some are confused on this detail, otherwise the concept of "free-will" is meaningless.

HisServant

:thumb:

Unfortunately, some are confused on this detail, otherwise the concept of "free-will" is meaningless.

Well.. we can debate free will all we want. But I will say that our free will is very limited by our environment and experience. Generally, we make choices that will benefit us in our current state... so given those constraints (barring mental illness) our free will is definitely predisposed to certain decisions... so is it really free at all?

Sum1sGruj

BANNED
Banned
Well.. we can debate free will all we want. But I will say that our free will is very limited by our environment and experience. Generally, we make choices that will benefit us in our current state... so given those constraints (barring mental illness) our free will is definitely predisposed to certain decisions... so is it really free at all?

As far as science is concerned, we have free will. Confusion only lies in the thinking in which separates conscience form the universe itself.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Have any of you christians ever wondered why you give your deity all of the credit but none of the blame?

LeBron James blamed God for losing in the NBA finals. He said God just wasn't willing to let them win.

I was thinking "That wasn't God, LeBron. God doesn't speak with a faint German accent. Might seem like it when you're on the court with him, but no..."

Silent Hunter

LeBron James blamed God for losing in the NBA finals. He said God just wasn't willing to let them win.

I was thinking "That wasn't God, LeBron. God doesn't speak with a faint German accent. Might seem like it when you're on the court with him, but no..."
Leboohoo James = :baby:

:chuckle: