toldailytopic: Objectively, when does a person become a person? At conception? Or at

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Being objective, playing the devil's advocate for a moment,

In the middle ages, the first "quickening" was the standard. But we know more about it, now.

Genetically, it happens at conception. And so a unique individual begins to live at that point.

The nervous system is there by the end of the third trimester, which would seem to me to make it clear to anyone that a person existed at that time.

I think it's clear enough that conception is where it begins. Does that mean that some forms of contraception are abortions? Yes, it does.

Do I think there is any ethical difference between killing an almost-born infant, and preventing a fertilized egg from implanting? Yes, I do. But both are wrong, even if one is a greater evil.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Why do brain waves or a heart beat amount to personhood?

Gotcha.

I think for lack of anything else, it's a good litmus test. In the future there may some kind of medical/scientific advance that answers the question definitively, but barring such a discovery, I'd say the presence of a heart beat and or brain waves is a good place to mark the beginning of personhood.

You have said... a heart beat or a brain wave are the things that determine personhood.

Actually, no. I haven't. I said either determines when personhood begins; I haven't commented at all about personhood's definition.

It's your "logic" not mine.

See above.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Clearly, based on Granite's behavior in this thread and by using his own logic.... Granite must not be a person because I see no evidence of brain waves.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Clearly, based on Granite's behavior in this thread and by using his own logic.... Granite must not be a person because I see no evidence of brain waves.

Don't jump to conclusions and just stick to what I actually write, not what you think I did. I don't understand why that's such a problem. You misunderstood me, I clarified, you respond with this immature little comeback. If you want to have an actual discussion, the ball's in your court. If you're just interested in having people agree with you, I'm sure others can oblige. Your call.

It's an interesting subject and I look forward to discussing it.:smokie:

GuySmiley

I'd say personhood begins when God determines it begins. I dont think we have absolute proof when God considers a person a person. But we know for sure that it matters a whole lot and shouldnt be taken lightly.

I think a person should be considered a person at conception, because it matters if we kill people. AND just logically, I think when a human is a unique human, they ought to be considered a person.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I'd say personhood begins when God determines it begins. I dont think we have absolute proof when God considers a person a person. But we know for sure that it matters a whole lot and shouldnt be taken lightly.

I think a person should be considered a person at conception, because it matters if we kill people. AND just logically, I think when a human is a unique human, they ought to be considered a person.

Very well put.

I have an issue with identifying personhood with conception. I think the insistence on this can be taken to irrational extremes, frankly. But I do understand the sentiment. Just strikes me as over simplistic. When it comes to impacting certain forms of contraception and medical research the insistence on equating personhood with the instant of conception crosses the line from humanism into zealotry.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
If you want to have an actual discussion, the ball's in your court.
No, the ball is in your court! Seriously the ball has been sitting there all morning.

You have stated that brain waves or a heart beat are the things that you consider constitute a person.

I asked you..... why? :idunno:

I further made the point by asking you if a person is still a person during a medical procedure that requires stopping the heart beat.

You haven't responded (in any meaningful way) to either of those questions.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Very well put.

I have an issue with identifying personhood with conception. I think the insistence on this can be taken to irrational extremes, frankly. But I do understand the sentiment. Just strikes me as over simplistic. When it comes to impacting certain forms of contraception and medical research the insistence on equating personhood with the instant of conception crosses the line from humanism into zealotry.
Uh.... GuySmiley contradicted you and you say... "Very well put." :dizzy:

More evidence that Granite has no observable brain waves.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No. Heart activity or brain waves is the marker for the onset/existence of personhood, as far as I'm concerned. If we need a litmus test, this one seems undeniable, clean cut, and easy to confirm.

Why do you need to listen for a heartbeat to determine personhood? :idunno:

And it's not easy to detect a heartbeat. It's nigh on impossible to determine when the tiny heart hits its first beat.

Granite

Hall of Fame
You have stated that brain waves or a heart beat are the things that you consider constitute a person.

Well, again: no, I didn't.

I said that either brain waves or heart beat constitute the beginning of personhood. I think I've said this three times now. From my perspective as a layman it appears this is the best objective, observable, scientifically-verifiable evidence we've got. That's my rationale. Nothing mysterious here at all.

What you keep doing is jumping to conclusions and ignoring what I've actually written. Personhood begins when we can detect either a heart beat or brain waves. That's all. I haven't commented on the definition of personhood once. Not once. I think we have a rough idea for when it starts.

As I see it personhood's a one-way door: once opened, you step through but can't really go back. There's no "undo" option, as it were.

I've answered your questions several times now, but you keep on seeing things that aren't there.

At the risk of repeating myself: for lack of a better standard, and barring a medical breakthrough, I think it's the best litmus test available. If anybody has other ideas, let's hear 'em.

Throwing it out there for everybody: is there any reason not to use the heart beat/brain wave litmus test? I don't see anything about it that's morally objectionable.

I further made the point by asking you if a person is still a person during a medical procedure that requires stopping the heart beat.

...which is irrelevant to anything I said, and completely beside the point. Yes, a person's still a person if their heart stops beating.

You haven't responded (in any meaningful way) to either of those questions.

Wrong, you just don't like my answers.

Real Sorceror

It varies for some individuals, but I believe personhood begins to develop shortly after birth and is achieved somewhere in an infant's first or second year.

I would also like to say that being human is not a prerequisite for personhood. Several other species of animal are more self aware and mentally cognitive than a newborn human. Whether they achieve true personhood is more difficult to determine.

Please understand that this does not mean I see no value in the lives of babies. I truly do. I just think being a person is a scientific phenomena and not a spiritual one.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It varies for some individuals, but I believe personhood begins to develop shortly after birth and is achieved somewhere in an infant's first or second year.
Hello Hitler! :wave:

So, you would support post-birth infanticide? Well maybe you don't support it but you certainly couldn't make a case against it based on your logic.

GuySmiley

Very well put.

It sounds to me like you are making your choice based on the consequences though. You'd like to keep certain kinds of contraception available, so you'd like to define it as brain activity/heartbeat.

csuguy

I'd disagree. There are other (legitimate) reasons to question personhood's onset right at conception. I don't want the door open to denying someone contraception, for example.

Several forms of contraception would, as the term suggests, prevent conception in the first place. But yes: defining it as the moment of conception would prevent those forms of "contraception" that are actually abortions via drugs.

Granite

Hall of Fame
:mock: Granite.

At the risk of repeating myself...

Personhood begins when we can detect either a heart beat or brain waves. That's all. I haven't commented on the definition of personhood once. Not once. I think we have a rough idea for when it starts.

As I see it personhood's a one-way door: once opened, you step through but can't really go back. There's no "undo" option, as it were.