toldailytopic: Nuclear power: have the events in Japan changed your opinion of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 12th, 2011 10:32 AM

toldailytopic: Nuclear power: have the events in Japan changed your opinion of it?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Japan nuclear mishap 'among worst ever'

A US nuclear expert says the accident at a Japanese nuclear reactor is one of the three worst in history, and could become a "complete disaster" if it goes to a full meltdown.

"This is going to go down in history as one of the three greatest nuclear incidents if it stops now," Joseph Cirincione, the head of the Ploughsares Fund, said in an interview on CNN on Saturday.

"If it continues, if they don't get control of this and ... we go from a partial meltdown of the core to a full meltdown, this will be a complete disaster," he said.

A devastating 8.9 magnitude quake that struck Japan on Friday set off the emergency at the Fukushima No 1 atomic plant, which was then hit by an explosion on Saturday that prompted an evacuation of the surrounding area.

read more

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
this would not change my mind about nuclear power
it might change my mind about how and where
what really needs to be considered
is
how much energy is required to build one
and
how long it takes get the payback

Alate_One

I'd say building them in earthquake zones is definitely a no-no. Unless we can figure out a way to defend them from a very powerful quake.

There are many, many problems with Nuclear Power. People always seem to forget how horribly dangerous it is. The waste is also dangerous for thousands of years and the US has nowhere to put it other than keeping it at the plants. The waste fuel must be kept cool for years after it has been used. If

I do still believe nuclear power CAN be done safely, hopefully we can learn something from this disaster.

If you want to know how bad it can get, take a look at "The Battle of Chernobyl".

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
there are many here who think Jesus will come and solve our energy problem for at least a thousand years

I don't think so
but
would you build a nuclear plant
if
you thought the end was near?

BabyChristian

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 12th, 2011 10:32 AM

Nope, all of the males in my family work at Nuclear power plants and I used to work at a place that produced nuclear fuels.

The people that have the biggest fit about them don't know much about them. :DK:

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have never been too keen on Nuclear power plants. I never wanted to live near one. The possibility of accidents like this are the reason why.

If an accent were to happen at a conventional hydroelectric plant, you wouldn't have the widespread harm to people and the environment in which they live.

They say nuclear energy is clean. I think not. What do you do with the spent reactor cores? They seal them up and dump them someplace. The containers will eventually rot and start to give off radiation.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Nope, all of the males in my family work at Nuclear power plants and I used to work at a place that produced nuclear fuels.

The people that have the biggest fit about them don't know much about them. :DK:

do you know how much energy it takes to build one?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Nope. Doesn't change anything. How many more have to die in coal mines before people wise up to something much safer?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And for those that don't know, Chernobyl was a bomb factory. And commies being the stupid people they are, built it backwards from how it should have been built.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Nuclear power: have the events in Japan changed your opinion of it?

No. My opinion is unchanged...glad to get that off my chest...:plain:...what?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Not at all, although, it makes sense ti use natural resources, dams, wind, sunlight when possible. Nuclear power is advancing its technology and will be made safer with time. What happened in Japan does have an impact; we should be leery as to where we build them, away from possible earthquakes along fault lines.
The disaster in Japan is terrible, yet nuclear plants is a side effect of the great disaster, not an accident in itself; however, it does raise important questions about needed protective measures, which need be be examined.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Large nuclear plants covering large areas can cause large disasters. Smaller plants covering smaller areas is the lesson to be learned.

--Dave

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Is there any place on Earth where a quake can't happen?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Is there any place on Earth where a quake can't happen?

right in the middle of the pacific plate is calm

this quake in japan could end up causing a big one in california
because
the plate is rotating counter clockwise
and
will eventually require a corresponding change there

fool

Hall of Fame
No matter how bad it gets they CANNOT push that reactor into the ocean.
That's what awakens Godzilla.

I tend to agree with Alate and DFT. Mitigate the potential for disaster, by going small and staying away from active fault zones. It hasn't changed my opinion much, just informed it.

The biggest problem with nuclear power is NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard). Everyone wants the benefits, no one wants the risks. It's a collective action problem, perfectly suited for government action. Still, though, where to put the plants, and where to put the radioactive waste they generate? No easy answers there.

PL

Status
Not open for further replies.