toldailytopic: Making guns illegal? What will you do if the government tries to take

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 12th, 2010 07:57 AM

toldailytopic: Making guns illegal? What will you do if the government tries to take away your guns?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

bybee

Well

Well

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 12th, 2010 07:57 AM

toldailytopic: Making guns illegal? What will you do if the government tries to take away your guns?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

When my husband passed away I inherited his pistol. My son gave me a lesson in handling the pistol. I keep it in a safe place.
I have no intention of turning it in. What next? Maybe they'll confiscate our electric knives? bybee

Granite

Hall of Fame
Hide them. Or like OEJ said, black market.

I doubt this'll ever happen in this country, but it can't hurt to have a stash somewhere, Sarah Connor style.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm okay with making guns illegal, as long as other killing tools are made illegal, too. I'll gladly cast my vote for making guns illegal, if the following are on the list, as well:
  • Cars
  • Knives
  • Rocks
  • Big sticks
  • Pointy cowboy boots
  • Coffee tables with corners
  • Ledges of buildings
  • Pillows
  • Saran Wrap
  • Duct Tape
  • Rat poison
  • Gasoline
  • Matches
  • Rope
  • Heavy books
  • Pipes
  • Nails
  • Tailpipes
  • Water
  • Dirt
  • Hammers
  • Bats
  • Axes
  • Hatchets
  • Table saws
  • Electricity
  • Bad people
  • Lamps
  • Dumbbells
  • Pencils
  • Glass
  • Empty syringes
  • Concrete
  • Big socks
  • Extension cords
  • Scissors
Works for me!

bybee

And

And

I'm okay with making guns illegal, as long as other killing tools are made illegal, too. I'll gladly cast my vote for making guns illegal, if the following are on the list, as well:
  • Cars
  • Knives
  • Rocks
  • Big sticks
  • Pointy cowboy boots
  • Ledges of buildings
  • Pillows
  • Saran Wrap
  • Duct Tape
  • Rat poison
  • Gasoline
  • Matches
  • Rope
  • Heavy books
  • Pipes
  • Nails
  • Tailpipes
  • Water
  • Dirt
  • Hammers
  • Bats
  • Axes
  • Hatchets
  • Table saws
  • Electricity
  • Bad people
  • Lamps
  • Dumbbells
  • Pencils
  • Glass
  • Empty syringes
  • Concrete
  • Big socks
  • Extension cords
  • Scissors
Works for me!

Thin peoples elbows! Nasty business!
bybee

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
  • Cars
  • Knives
  • Rocks
  • Big sticks
  • Pointy cowboy boots
  • Ledges of buildings
  • Pillows
  • Saran Wrap
  • Duct Tape
  • Rat poison
  • Gasoline
  • Matches
  • Rope
  • Heavy books
  • Pipes
  • Nails
  • Tailpipes
  • Water
  • Dirt
  • Hammers
  • Bats
  • Axes
  • Hatchets
  • Table saws
  • Electricity
  • Bad people
  • Lamps
  • Dumbbells
  • Pencils
  • Glass
  • Empty syringes
  • Concrete
  • Big socks
  • Extension cords
  • Scissors
Works for me!
:nono:

You forgot the chainsaw.

And teacups. :plain:

Death by Teacup

Buzzword

Well, my trigger-happy father-in-law assumed all our guns would be taken away as soon as Obama was elected.

He sold a custom assault rifle he'd constructed for $8,000 and paid off his house.

Then when his guns DIDN'T get taken away, he realized building custom guns is big business, and has since built two and sold them for a total of $20,000.

I'm mainly exciting because my wife is his sole beneficiary, so his walk-in gun safe/guest room will be all ours *evil laugh*.

The way the Sup Court's been ruling though, I doubt gun loss is in anywhere near the recent future.

That being said, I wouldn't mind some BULLET control, especially on handguns.
If pistol bullets cost $500 a pop, you wouldn't have any more innocent bystanders in inner-city shootings.

The people who use them for self-defense would load up ONCE, and probably never have to buy more.
The people who use them to murder other people would find themselves severely handicapped once their current stockpiles ran out.

taikoo

Well, my trigger-happy father-in-law assumed all our guns would be taken away as soon as Obama was elected.

He sold a custom assault rifle he'd constructed for $8,000 and paid off his house.

Then when his guns DIDN'T get taken away, he realized building custom guns is big business, and has since built two and sold them for a total of $20,000.

I'm mainly exciting because my wife is his sole beneficiary, so his walk-in gun safe/guest room will be all ours *evil laugh*.

The way the Sup Court's been ruling though, I doubt gun loss is in anywhere near the recent future.

If pistol bullets cost $500 a pop, you wouldn't have any more innocent bystanders in inner-city shootings.

The people who use them for self-defense would load up ONCE, and probably never have to buy more.
The people who use them to murder other people would find themselves severely handicapped once their current stockpiles ran out.

Here is now my significant other addresses this idea:

1. they are not 'bullets" they are cartridges.

2. bullets are easy to make from cast lead.

3. many rifles and handguns use the same cartridges, especially the .22 rimfire. you cant seperate them like these are bad handgun cartridges, these are good rifle cartridges.

4. 'load up once" doesnt make much sense, for people who understand that having a gun and knowing how to use it are not the same thing.

5. in general, handguns are not nearly as easy to use, powerful or effective as rifles and shotguns. IF people could only use those, more attempted shootings would be fatal.

As for the OP, i think that if the govt were to decide it could ignore one part of the constitution and take the guns, well, that would be about the time that we'd see the rest of our bill of rights gone.

The boyfriend adds in here that the second amendment is the most important as it protects the others.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame

:nono: Effective self defense requires live fire practice and drilling (contrary to popular belief). You plan would keep me and others of my type from doing this.
The end result would be greater possibility of innocent bystander harm because there would be a greater chance of me missing/firing in error, while in the meantime assuring that the criminals who will be getting their ammo on the black market would continue spraying their bullets all over Creation.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
Since I spent most my life defending the American Constitution, any major changes, such as disarming the populace would create the need for a political climate change....how serious this climate change may become, will not be up to me.

Turning in my personal weapons is not an option! Now or ever!

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
Well, my trigger-happy father-in-law

I guess that would be one way of describing your father-in-law...any other matters of respect unfolding there?

You don't enjoy weapons do you? Well some do, it is not only a way of self defense but it also is a sport.

$ I see you will be happy to accept hi$ property upon his pa$$ing away $

Nothing happens overnight, so why wait until the battle starts to prepare? Or do you like to procrastinate with you future?

You really think cost will stop criminals from making you a victim?

Yeah, too bad they won't be able to hit their target from lack of practice!

The black market will always have the necessary equipment, and if your personal selection gets a little difficult to acquire, there are plenty of alternatives.

Buzzword

lightbringer said:
I guess that would be one way of describing your father-in-law...any other matters of respect unfolding there?

You don't enjoy weapons do you? Well some do, it is not only a way of self defense but it also is a sport.

$ I see you will be happy to accept hi$ property upon his pa$$ing away $

Nothing happens overnight, so why wait until the battle starts to prepare? Or do you like to procrastinate with you future?

You really think cost will stop criminals from making you a victim?

Yeah, too bad they won't be able to hit their target from lack of practice!

The black market will always have the necessary equipment, and if your personal selection gets a little difficult to acquire, there are plenty of alternatives.

Whoa whoa hold on a sec dude.

First, I have a great relationship with my father-in-law.
He's a retired navy gunner and police bomb tech.

I'd always been interested in guns, but my family's just not into them...which made me go nuts (in a good way) when my wife's dad showed us his collection and we went out on the range.
I'm addicted to his 1873 Winchester, myself.

I never said anything about SELLING his guns.
I'm more excited at the prospect of OWNING some of them someday, especially the magnum revolver he assembled with ivory grips and the smoothest action I've ever felt.
Makes my gun hand tingle at the thought.

Okay, let me say this for everyone:
I REALIZE NOW THAT "BULLET CONTROL" IS A BAD IDEA.
I'm still too inexperienced with most guns to try creating some kind of government policy.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Guys.

Come on.

They will never outright ban guns in this country and go house to house for them.

Never.

Even in the event of a national catastrophe--terrorist attack, natural disaster--there would be bigger fish to fry. There are too many guns, too many owners, too many bullets.

Uberpod1

BANNED
Banned
I know of noone who hopes to ban guns across the board. But, I do know guns should be treated differently than pillows --- than knives --- than cars.

Guns are lethal, make killing as easy as pulling a switch, make killing a less intimate affair, and can only be defended against with more guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.