toldailytopic: Liberals want to outlaw large soft drinks and other large sugary drink

PureX

I think it raises a lot of questions, mostly having to do with the age a child matures. I don't think they all mature at the same time, so you are left with trying to figure out at which age can a person decide to have a soft drink. Do you choose 13, 16, 18, or 21? Maybe some more nonsensical number?

That is the issue with making something into a crime that requires arbitrary limitations. It's far easier I believe to educate parents about the dangers of it and have them make the decision about when the child has matured enough to be able to handle something.

We also have to face the reality of things. Making it to where a child can't get public access to something doesn't remove the ability to get private access. Just because the law says you have to be 21 to buy alcohol, that never stopped my family from giving it to me long before then. So you are taking a lot of money to institute legislation on this when in the end nothing will change.

I see both as being more about individual rights. An embryo or fetus is human and is developing. I believe it is an individual and I don't believe the course of nature should be altered in the case of life. I apply that principal to war and such as well. So once a person is mature enough to be able to understand their choice about what to put in their body, let them make it. It's two completely different things here, it seems. One is about a life and death matter, one is just about a substance.
I think the solution to this problem lies elsewhere from this foolish proposed ban. The proposed ban is just not workable. And I think it's also inappropriate. And yet the problem remains.

I think we need, as a society, to grow up and start taking responsibility for our behaviors. Not just in terms of watching what we eat and drink, but also in terms of what we manufacture and try to sell to people. If we can preach to the public about how they need to be responsible for their own health, then we can just as easily and reasonably preach to the manufacturers of food and drink that they need to be responsible for what they are trying to sell to us.

As it stands, they are getting away with selling a horrible array of unhealthy food and drink products. The world will surely not come to an end if we were to place some serious limits on these products, both in terms of their volume and their content, as well as their advertising.

The more we worship commerce as though it were sacrosanct, the more unhealthy and difficult our lives are becoming. We need to put and end to this idea that commerce is sacred and uncontrollable. It's not. The purpose of commerce is to serve the humans who are engaged in it, and NOT the other way around.

PureX

I'll assist any one that makes an effort but not one that will not!

They should stop whining and move back in with Mommy.
Compassion is the hallmark of wisdom.

I think you need to grow up, some. After life has kicked your *** a few times, you won't be so quick to judge and condemn your fellow human beings for their shortcomings ... I hope.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
Compassion is the hallmark of wisdom.

Compassion waisted on the lazy is the hallmark of a fool that will soon change or be poor.

I think you need to grow up, some. After life has kicked your *** a few times, you won't be so quick to judge and condemn your fellow human beings for their shortcomings ... I hope.

:rotfl: In 4 months I'll be 65 yrs old, how do you think I've developed my attitude, by watching whinny little babies expect the world to cater to them, and by those that I did help that where using people!

Compassion is waisted on those that will not put forth an effort to better themselves.

If you wish to take responsibility for every one, have at it, but you will find that you will squander your resources needlessly, lets hope that when you actually see some one that is willing to put forth the effort to better themselves you will have some resource remaining to help them get over the hump!

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
There are no private businesses. Everything business sells is available to the public.

I DON'T shop there. That does not stop thousands of bad businesses from cornering the market and deceiving the people.

You don't like what New York is doing? Move away from New York. Touche Angel.

I don't like it, and wont live there. Wow, that was easy.

I guess if i thought like you though, i should get the government to ban new york because i dont agree with it and think the people arent able to educate themselves about it, so i need to be babysitter, right?

eameece

I don't like it, and wont live there. Wow, that was easy.
Then what are you doing telling the people of New York what to do?
I guess if i thought like you though, i should get the government to ban new york because i dont agree with it and think the people aren't able to educate themselves about it, so i need to be babysitter, right?
Well, your views indicate that you need a lot of education! You guys don't think the government should be involved in that either, I know. But you get what you pay for. Now we have an uneducated public, because of your policies of starving education.

One Eyed Jack

There are no private businesses. Everything business sells is available to the public.

I DON'T shop there. That does not stop thousands of bad businesses from cornering the market and deceiving the people.

You don't like what New York is doing? Move away from New York. Touche Angel.

I have a better idea. Why don't all you guys move to Europe? And take Obama with you.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
Because you are not given the choice. The restaurants involved only offer the big sizes.

? You need to identify the restaurants that do not offer different sizes...then stop going there if it offends you...problem solved, without government intervention...and once the restaurant realizes they have lost customers they will adjust!

Bet you can't!

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
We the people through our government have a right to regulate or ban harmful products.

We the people have a right to petition the government to investigate harmful products and if found to be harmful, to regulate or ban the product!

You really think the government will jump through hoops for every nut job out there?

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
If we have a false sense of security because of government, then why is virtually everything on the market unhealthy? No, we have virtually no government regulation of the food industry; that's the problem. It's all turning into corn.

Well, your views indicate that you need a lot of education! You guys don't think the government should be involved in that either, I know. But you get what you pay for. Now we have an uneducated public, because of your policies of starving education.

Virtually everything on the market is unhealthy???

Take the two highlighted quotes and follow your own advice...you obviously haven't looked into government controls on resturants or food products offered to the public.

eameece

I have a better idea. Why don't all you guys move to Europe? And take Obama with you.

Why don't you and Angel 4 Truth go instead to Saudi Arabia or Syria? You would be more comfortable in a country where change and criticism of the status quo of power are not allowed.

eameece

PBS ran a story today about how coca cola and pepsi are taking advantage of children in El Salvador and ruining their teeth. Families and children have no defense against the America junk food companies; they make money off of ruining children's lives.

These rapacious companies produce junk. They deserve to be put out of business. American corporations by and large produce nothing of value. The reason people suffer from this junk, is because American corporations produce and market it. You guys who defend them in the name of "freedom" and "free enterprise" are defending criminals. The least our government can do is regulate them... to death, if possible.

eameece

No they don't. And, besides, I can choose water; which is what I do as I gave up soda.
What I said was correct; the restaurants offer only big sizes. In other countries they offer even bigger sizes, and nothing else. And tortilla chips cost less than tortillas. Consumers of American "free" enterprise have little or no choice in what to buy. They can choose between different brands of junk.

PureX

No they don't. And, besides, I can choose water; which is what I do as I gave up soda.
Some people don't like water, but I love it. I drink ice-water by the gallon. There's a big jug of it sitting next to me as I type.

Ahhhh! Good stuff! :)

PureX

PBS ran a story today about how coca cola and pepsi are taking advantage of children in El Salvador and ruining their teeth. Families and children have no defense against the America junk food companies; they make money off of ruining children's lives.

These rapacious companies produce junk. They deserve to be put out of business. American corporations by and large produce nothing of value. The reason people suffer from this junk, is because American corporations produce and market it. You guys who defend them in the name of "freedom" and "free enterprise" are defending criminals. The least our government can do is regulate them... to death, if possible.
Yeah, it's weird how the responsibility mongers never apply their responsibility refrain to the giant corporations that produce all this crap.

eameece

Virtually everything on the market is unhealthy???

Take the two highlighted quotes and follow your own advice...you obviously haven't looked into government controls on restaurants or food products offered to the public.

I have read and seen all about it. American food companies offer junk and little else. All you have to do is shop at the local supermarket to see for yourself. You have to be really really picky. At least some products have labels. But if you read them, you are amazed at how bad the products are. There are very few labels in restaurants, and most of what you get is bad for you. If you want to have good food, you have to spend lots of time and extra gas to get and prepare it. In red states, even those few alternatives are not available at all, and you can't even ride your bike for fear of being run over by a redneck in a hot rod. All you can do is go to church and bow down to the preachers. You guys are really stupid for defending this creepy Republican system. There's no other word for it.