toldailytopic: Liberals want to outlaw large soft drinks and other large sugary drink

WizardofOz

Why do you think you have the right to tell a private business what to sell?

They do not get government funds. If you do not like what they sell, you do not have to do business there.

:thumb:

Why not ban the Big Mac? Perhaps that is next....

Legislation like this gives citizens a false sense of security; what is for sale must be healthy, otherwise the government would ban the sale. People need to be responsible for their own diet.

eameece

Why do you think you have the right to tell a private business what to sell?

They do not get government funds. If you do not like what they sell, you do not have to do business there.

No Angel. When a business sells a harmful product, gov. has the right to regulate or ban it for the safety of the public.

Last edited:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
It was a typo. I forgot to put in the "so as" in the last sentence. But I think if you had read the whole post, you would have understood what I meant even though I didn't spell it out in the last sentence.
Even with the edit your wording indicates something other than what you say you meant. If I misunderstood I apologize.

Legislation like this gives citizens a false sense of security; what is for sale must be healthy, otherwise the government would ban the sale. People need to be responsible for their own diet.
Truth.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No Angel. When a business sells a harmful product, it has the right to regulate or ban it for the safety of the public.

Who gets to make the decision of what is or isn't harmful?

Vaccinations, soft drinks, beer, bleach, vitamins, make up, etc? Perhaps we should allow adults to make the decision of whether or not they are willing to make an informed decision about what is or not appropriate for themselves and their families.

BTW ... *the public* is not mandated to buy or use any product.

PureX

Vaccinations, soft drinks, beer, bleach, vitamins, make up, etc? Perhaps we should allow adults to make the decision of whether or not they are willing to make an informed decision about what is or not appropriate for themselves and their families.

*The public* very often doesn't have the expertise required to make an informed decision, even though they think they do. The world has become a very complicated place. A lot of what is being put in our food are things we know nothing about, including the late term consequences. Not to mention that corporations hire professionals to help them mislead us, and they're very good at it. They know how to tell us what we want to hear, and how to get us to disregard the flaws in their products. The idea that we are even capable of making informed decisions about the consequences of what we are choosing to eat is a bit far-fetched. Not to mention the kind of time it would take to study the choices well enough to make an attempt.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Does anyone else see the futility of such a ban? Most restaurants wherein you can get these size of drinks offer free refills, so it would only work with drive-thru and convenience stores.

But the question still remains, why does the government think that I, as an adult, should not be allowed to make such a choice for myself?

And even further, if such things are so harmful why not outlaw sugary drinks altogether? I'll tell you why: the same reason they don't outlaw cigarettes [they're greedy, lying hypocrites].

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
No Angel. When a business sells a harmful product, it has the right to regulate or ban it for the safety of the public.

You do not have to buy there, and you are capable to get informed about what you choose to buy.

Private business is just that, private. Don't like it? Don't shop there. Its really that easy.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

:carryon: exactly

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Please explain to me how your response was in any way related to this post ...

... and then if you would, please explain why you neg-repped me for it.

You want to kill kids and then tell me and everyone else what is harmful for people, while you ok killing them. Thats why.

Memento Mori

All of those things you named are regulated.

Almost everything should be regulated because nearly everything can be harmful to some extent.

It's true that you do not need to buy a particular product if you disagree with it. However, if you choose to buy it, it should be safe.

On the other hand, I do believe this is a futile regulation. Nearly every comment has poked countless holes in this mandate.

Quincy

Let's all please keep in mind that this discussion is not about banning adults from eating or drinking anything. It's about a proposal to stop selling giant sized portions of sugar water to children, who will by their nature want to drink more of this crap than is healthy.

When an adult drinks this stuff, we expect them to know the consequences, and to be making a deliberate decision to accept those consequences. But that has nothing to do with children drinking too much sugar water. Children don't really understand the consequences, and can't be expected to make reasoned and informed decisions about such things. Their parents are supposed to be making those decision for them, but clearly many are not doing so, or are deliberately ignoring the consequences that will befall their own children as a result.

So all these arguments based on "infringing our freedom" aren't especially applicable in this case, because we aren't talking about an adult's freedom of to abuse themselves with bad food. We're talking about adults choosing to harm their kids by allowing them to ingest bad food.

I think it raises a lot of questions, mostly having to do with the age a child matures. I don't think they all mature at the same time, so you are left with trying to figure out at which age can a person decide to have a soft drink. Do you choose 13, 16, 18, or 21? Maybe some more nonsensical number?

That is the issue with making something into a crime that requires arbitrary limitations. It's far easier I believe to educate parents about the dangers of it and have them make the decision about when the child has matured enough to be able to handle something.

We also have to face the reality of things. Making it to where a child can't get public access to something doesn't remove the ability to get private access. Just because the law says you have to be 21 to buy alcohol, that never stopped my family from giving it to me long before then. So you are taking a lot of money to institute legislation on this when in the end nothing will change.

Also: to all you folks who are anti-abortion, why is it OK in your mind for the government to deny the freedom of a woman to choose an abortion, so as to protect the life of the fetus, but then be so outrageous to you that the government would deny the freedom of a parent to feed their kids massive doses of sugar water, so as to protect the health of the kids?

The claim is being thrown around that this is a "liberal" proposal, but it seems to me to be very similar to conservatives proposing a ban on abortion. Both of these proposed bans seek to limit the freedom of adults so as to protect the health of children.

I see both as being more about individual rights. An embryo or fetus is human and is developing. I believe it is an individual and I don't believe the course of nature should be altered in the case of life. I apply that principal to war and such as well. So once a person is mature enough to be able to understand their choice about what to put in their body, let them make it. It's two completely different things here, it seems. One is about a life and death matter, one is just about a substance.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
*The public* very often doesn't have the expertise required to make an informed decision, even though they think they do.

Time to do some reading!

The world has become a very complicated place.

Time to do some reading!

A lot of what is being put in our food are things we know nothing about, including the late term consequences.

Time to do some more reading! Product labels?

Not to mention that corporations hire professionals to help them mislead us, and they're very good at it.

Them lying so and sos!

They know how to tell us what we want to hear, and how to get us to disregard the flaws in their products.

Now that's a personal choice, why make it?

The idea that we are even capable of making informed decisions about the consequences of what we are choosing to eat is a bit far-fetched.

Only for those that do not want to put the time in to learn and apply that knowledge! Yeah, I know, that was a bit of a far-fetched thought!

Not to mention the kind of time it would take to study the choices well enough to make an attempt.

If people can't take the time to learn or at least attempt to learn why should any one worry about them?

Way to many people not wanting to take responsibility for their actions...maybe we should set up care centers and herd them in for their own good!

eameece

Democratically-elected officials.

Industry still needs to be regulated not to sell unsafe products. It should not just be "uninformed buyer beware." In our society, industry controls much of the info that is out there. Our markets and restaurants offer almost nothing that is good and right for us. They force us to buy junk food. The people have to say, give us good food, or pay a fine. That's how bad it is today. The obesity epidemic proves that just letting business do whatever it wants, doesn't work in this case-- as in all other aspects of our trickle-down, free-market-deluded society.

eameece

Does anyone else see the futility of such a ban? Most restaurants wherein you can get these size of drinks offer free refills, so it would only work with drive-thru and convenience stores.

But the question still remains, why does the government think that I, as an adult, should not be allowed to make such a choice for myself?
Because you are not given the choice. The restaurants involved only offer the big sizes.

eameece

You do not have to buy there, and you are capable to get informed about what you choose to buy.

Private business is just that, private. Don't like it? Don't shop there. Its really that easy.
There are no private businesses. Everything business sells is available to the public.

I DON'T shop there. That does not stop thousands of bad businesses from cornering the market and deceiving the people.

You don't like what New York is doing? Move away from New York. Touche Angel.

eameece

If we have a false sense of security because of government, then why is virtually everything on the market unhealthy? No, we have virtually no government regulation of the food industry; that's the problem. It's all turning into corn.