toldailytopic: Is there any point in praying for the dead?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I do not pray for those dead, believing in instant spiritual resurrection. Those who do not come to Christ, eventually, receive judgement in the second coming.

Yet this is not, for those in Christ, for our fate is secure in Christ and cannot be lost. The last judgement is for God’s good intention, for those who have not found salvation In Christ.

You either believe salvation is forever, or you don’t, I do believe OSAS.

All this confusion is based on poor exegesis of the Biblical understanding, where God had made previous convents with man, yet, ultimately, I believe God has made plans for salvation through Christ, before many knew Him, yet we know, some knew Him by Grace.

This is why some point out, there is forgiveness for some who lived by the law; they shall have their chance to know Christ; those who accept Him endure the tribulation, those who refuse, will not.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Nope, while we are living we intercede in prayer for others.

John 17:1-26

When Jesus had spoken these words, he lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, “Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you, since you have given him authority over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do. And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed. ...

eameece

You need to ask some people who have some familiarity with the other side. Most people here are limited to Biblical ideas, and some to materialist scientific ideas. They would probably not know. This is not a question which a book or a lab experiment can answer. From what I hear though, from reports of those who have died and come back, it seems God or the Spirit (the great Light of Love) usually takes pretty good care of the souls on the other side. There may be exceptions though; people stuck in states of mind, and who knows, prayers might help them. Prayer has power.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No. It can only, hopefully, point them in the right direction. No one can spiritually save another. Only by being drawn of the Father does that happen.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Seems like most Christians claim that God is outside of time. If you believe that, praying for the dead makes as much sense as praying for the living.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Seems like most Christians claim that God is outside of time. If you believe that, praying for the dead makes as much sense as praying for the living.

The Holy Spirit is in time. Not that we separate Father Son and Holy Spirit but they each have a place in time.

Dena

No. The Mourner's Kaddish is said after the death of a loved one but it isn't' a prayer for them. I'm not even sure it makes a difference to pray for a person while they are living, let alone after they are dead.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Holy Spirit is in time. Not that we separate Father Son and Holy Spirit but they each have a place in time.

What? You are are saying God is outside of time, but the Spirit is in time? What about Jesus? Outside then inside then outside again? Will Jesus be inside of time again during the millennial reign?

sky.

BANNED
Banned
The early Christian Church certainly believed, taught, and practiced the doctrine:

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Purgatory is a man made doctrine that only confuses the issue. We are called to pray for others but not for the dead. If we can pray for the dead then that is so close to universiliam that there is no difference.

But really what does the catholic denomination pray for when praying for the dead?