toldailytopic: Is space exploration worth the expense for our country?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Berean

The begining of the end is when we aren't on top in terms of technology.

Yeah, I wonder what the people who say space exploration is not important will say when the Chinese have entire cities and tens of thousands of people on the Moon in the next 20-30 years or so? China is making a MAJOR push to colonize the Moon.

The Berean

Many scientists have been trying to solve this dilemma for a long time but overcoming gravity economically is quite difficult. I imagine as propulsion technology advances it will become a reality but, for now this is the best and cheapest way.

The "Holy Grail" is the fully reuseable, single-stage-to-orbit, space vehicle, right, rocketman? :chuckle:

lucaspa

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 8th, 2011 09:52 AM

Absolutely. Especially considering how cheap it is. Recently one of the former astronauts was talking about the proposed manned mission to Mars. In terms of the amount of taxes that will go to the mission, buying the news magazine (such as Time or Newsweek) to read about the mission after it is over is going to cost you more than the taxes you paid for the mission!

In terms of cost-benefit ratio, it is so skewed toward "benefit".

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Absolutely. Especially considering how cheap it is. Recently one of the former astronauts was talking about the proposed manned mission to Mars. In terms of the amount of taxes that will go to the mission, buying the news magazine (such as Time or Newsweek) to read about the mission after it is over is going to cost you more than the taxes you paid for the mission!

In terms of cost-benefit ratio, it is so skewed toward "benefit".

How many jobs and business' that pay taxes are fed by such a venture. I can tell you it is more than you can imagine. This kind of spending by the government and private industry is what fuels America and the world. Many of the products that are used around the world started in the space industry and were given to world. America is starving for work yet people don't see this investment's returns in the form of jobs and the betterment of all mankind. :idunno:

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding between space "exploration" and space "business". I'd like to give my two cents on the matter. Space "exploration" isn't about finding "aliens". Never has been. Space exploration is about expanding scientific knowledge of the universe and looking for new resources for future use. Though most people tend to think of America's manned space program as part of space" exploration", it's really not. I would conisder the Apollo program as the only true manned space "exploration" program. The Shuttule program is not space "exploration". All the Shuttle missions were to low Earth orbit only. The majority of the true space "exploration" programs are the unmanned space probes that have been launched since the early 1960's. Some of the most famous ones include:

Mariner Program (1963-1973): Interplantetary research probes that flew by Mars, Venus, and Mercury.

Pioneer Program (1965-1798): Interplantetary research probes that flew by Venus, Juipter and Saturn.

Voyager Program (1976-1982): Two Viking landers studied the surface of Mars. Gathered an incredible amount of scientific data that was important for future Mars' missions.

Voyager Program (1977-1989): Probably the most famous American unmanned space probes. The two Voyager probes exploreed the outher planets.

I can go on and on with other programs. In the late 1990's two rovers landed on Mars. Another much larger rover in on it's way to Mars now. A few months ago a new space probe reached Mercury to begin the first in-depth study of Mercury. There have been various lunar missions over the past 15 years or so as well. Space exploration is important because it expands out understanding of our local "neighborhood", our Solar System. One day, perhaps later this century, humanity will push out into space. The scientific knowedged gained from these unmanned space probe will be invaluable.

Space "business" is something diffferent. They only sector of the space industry that makes any real money today is commecial telecommunications satellies. I happen to work in this sector. As more and more nations become developed they will require satellite communications to modernize their telecommunications systems (telephone, direct-broadcast cable TV, Internet, satellite radio, etc). My company is booming in business right now despite the economic downturn. We keep hiring new people to try to keep up with the work. There is a new kind of aerospace company, called alt.space, that is leading the drive to commericalize space. Space tourism is about to become a reality. College students are building and launching small cubesats into space. Companies like Armadillo Aerospace and Masten Space systems are developing new, small, luanch systems in the hopes of bring down the cost of launch. We are living in exciting times as the push to open up space to a far greater number of people is going full bore.

The government will never be out of the space "business" entirely. Government plays a key roll in creating incentives to create new space technolgoies. This is very important. annually, NASA grants Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) grants to small compnaies to develop technologies that NASA consider key future technlogies. This creates great incentives for small companies to work towards developing new space technologies.

And government isn't the only entity creating incentives. Private groups like the X-Prixe Foundation are also driving innovation. In the late 1990 the Ansari X-Prive was created offering a $10 million prize to the first wholy private (non-govermental) team to develop and luanch a sub-orbital spacecraft. The prive was won in 2004 when Sclaed Composites launched SpaceShipOne. This led to Richard Branson to partner with Scaled Composites to create Vigin Galatic. Virgin galatic is building SpaceShipTwo that will eventaully career tourists into space.

The X-Prize Foundation continues to offer prizes in various fields, including the Google Lunar X-Prize. This is a $20 million prize for the first wholy-private team to land on the moon, take photos and nrea-real time video. Over 20 teams from acorss the world have paid a $10,000 entry fee to compete for the $20 million prize.
Thanks for the info, TB.

Flipper

They went back in time!! :noway:

Oh don't be ridiculous Kmoney, all that happened is that Berean accidentally reversed the dates. Pioneer 1 was launched in 1798. It was hand-made out of copper and was launched using a gigantic steam-powered cannon.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Oh don't be ridiculous Kmoney, all that happened is that Berean accidentally reversed the dates. Pioneer 1 was launched in 1798. It was hand-made out of copper and was launched using a gigantic steam-powered cannon.

Oh, I see.

It never ceases to amaze me what people could do back in those days!! :think:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Oh, I see.

It never ceases to amaze me what people could do back in those days!! :think:

Pure quantum mechanics. We didn't know enough to realize half the stuff we thought we could do and did was impossible. So we built pyramids in deserts and drilled quartz skulls without lasers or complicated machinery and invented the polka.

Dizzying times. :plain:

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Put it on a credit card? :rolleyes: What do you think you'll find out there that you haven't found here? Heb 11:16. :smokie:
"At the least so we can find new resources to plunder and new planets to colonize..."

And you said you weren't :Shimei: a worshipper (Ro 1:25). :grave:

"...especially if we totally mess up the one we are on."
"If you think man has messed up the world wait until you see what Jesus is going to do with it. This planet was made disposable by sin." --John MacArthur 2 Pe 3:12 :burnlib:

:listen: You will not find heaven on earth (Deut 7:25).

Last edited:

fool

Hall of Fame
Yeah, I wonder what the people who say space exploration is not important will say when the Chinese have entire cities and tens of thousands of people on the Moon in the next 20-30 years or so? China is making a MAJOR push to colonize the Moon.

That cannot be allowed to happen unless we are there as well.

fool

Hall of Fame
The X-Prize Foundation continues to offer prizes in various fields, including the Google Lunar X-Prize. This is a $20 million prize for the first wholy-private team to land on the moon, take photos and nrea-real time video. Over 20 teams from acorss the world have paid a $10,000 entry fee to compete for the $20 million prize.

Is that realistic? 20 mil doesn't go as far as it used too even if all the people donated their time we are talking about the moon.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Is that realistic? 20 mil doesn't go as far as it used too even if all the people donated their time we are talking about the moon.

Seems kind of cheap being the price of a launch to Low Earth Orbit is around 50 million, that hasn't even got you outside the earths gravity, to escape to the moon would be far more expensive. :idunno:

fool

Hall of Fame
Seems kind of cheap being the price of a launch to Low Earth Orbit is around 50 million, that hasn't even got you outside the earths gravity, to escape to the moon would be far more expensive. :idunno:

You can buy a used shuttle for 28 million, but that's just the shuttle, we need the boosters off it and I don't see them for sale. Have any of these teams for Google x thrown any sort of budgets or overall schemes out there?

elohiym

Yes.

The government should spend more on space exploration and other space endeavors. However, it's not worth expanding deposits one cent to do it.

The Berean

One of the competitors, Astrobotic Technology, has purchased a SpaceX launch to send their lander/rover to the Moon. I suspect SpaceX is charging far less than $50 million.

I tried to form a team at my company. I failed miserably. :noid:

Status
Not open for further replies.