toldailytopic: Is lying to an animal immoral?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 6th, 2013 05:00 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
When I take the dog for a ride, and we're going to the vet, I feel a little bit dishonest. She's so happy to get a ride, and then we pull up in front of the vet's office, and she realizes what we're doing, and gets upset.

bybee

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Well I didn't exactly lie to my German Shepherd, but, getting him into the bath tub was no easy task. I'd have a piece of brauschweiger in my hand and entice him upstairs. He'd slink into the tub and sit there quivering as though the world were coming to an end. Of course after the bath and receiving his treat for being "Such a good boy!" He was as happy as a puppy! I miss him.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
oh no, not another dog thread

I don't mind it when you bark

I don't mind it when you defecate on the sidewalk

I don't mind it when your owner treats you like a human

really

PureX

It isn't the lie itself that does the harm, it's the exploitation that results, and the abuse of trust. Most people would think this is immoral, regardless of the victim's biological classification.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Assuming the *lie* is for the purpose of putting the animal in question at ease, I am going to say no.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned

Like saying "Mmmmm- that's a good burger" ?

Or looking through a scope and saying to a deer "That's it, come on, nice bait pile waiting for you"?

Is it bad that I smile every time the bug zapper sparks? :think:

Brother Vinny

You ever do that thing where you play like you're going to throw a ball for a dog to fetch, but you keep it in your hand and watch the dog run away after nothing? Good times.

Pity it doesn't work as well with cats.

IMJerusha

Unusual question. Answer: Yes. All of my animals receive the greatest respect and consideration...including my husband! :)

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

:think: Unusual Question. One has to be able to reason to understand the concept of lying, something that the animal kingdom altogether lacks. There is a qualitative difference between humans and animals, not just quantitative. They are made in the image of God, enabling them to understand concepts such as lying. An animal, even a dolphin is not going to understand that you told it a lie. Animals live for procreation and eating. Smarter ones enjoy play. They are not emotionally impacted by moral concepts such as lying. Banjo the dog only knows you didn't put out his doggie dish. He doesn't know you promised to do it and didn't. Lying to an animal-loopy, but not immoral.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I'd consider deceiving certain avians and primates to be crossing a line, since they appear to have a great degree of self-awareness (and an awareness, in some cases, of the concept of deception). In my book that counts for something different than tricking a dog or cat, and an action that could potentially confuse, hurt, or anger a creature with the ability to recognize what I've done.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

If it is, then this cowpoke is in trouble. I would never lie to a horse, but I have to my own dogs. I tell them they can have a treat if they come in from outside. On occasion, I do not give them said treat.

That is probably bad, but not immoral.

I love our pets.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
To lie is to express a falsehood with the intention of deceiving (or something like that). In order to deceive someone, you pass off an untruth for truth. But in order to conceive of something is true, you must have an intellect, the very formal object of which is truth.

Animals aren't rational beings. They don't have intellects. They can't be deceived in the strictest sense.

Furthermore, even if it were wrong, it would never constitute an offense against the animal. Animals aren't rational beings, are not subjects of moral law, and have no rights. We have no direct duties to animals.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
To lie is to express a falsehood with the intention of deceiving (or something like that). In order to deceive someone, you pass off an untruth for truth. But in order to conceive of something is true, you must have an intellect, the very formal object of which is truth.

Animals aren't rational beings. They don't have intellects. They can't be deceived in the strictest sense.

that's nonsense, as anybody who has a dog for a pet knows.

playing "where's the treat" is all you need to consider to agree

Spitfire

Furthermore, even if it were wrong, it would never constitute an offense against the animal. Animals aren't rational beings, are not subjects of moral law, and have no rights. We have no direct duties to animals.
They are God's creations and manifestations of his will. Especially when we benefit from them and they are gifts from God, we should therefore receive such gifts with reverence and respect.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
My beautiful labrador/spaniel was soo-o smart, he could understand what everyone was saying, so when my mum asked him "is she telling the truth?" he used to rat on me.

Oh the indignity...she used to believe the dog more than me. :(

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
They are God's creations and manifestations of his will. Especially when we benefit from them and they are gifts from God, we should therefore receive such gifts with reverence and respect.

I agree with this. We especially see this in the example of St. Francis. But if you "mistreat" an animal in a sinful way, the offense isn't against the animal. You offend against yourself, other human beings, and against God.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Yes, but do our PETS return the same respect?!

:D