toldailytopic: Is it ever OK to hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulos

Romans 5:8
But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.​

Granite

Hall of Fame
"Hate is never conquered by hate. Hate is conquered by love. This is an eternal law. Many do not realize that we must all come to an end here; but those who do realize this, end their quarrels at once." --Buddha

Romans 5:8
But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.​

I like the first part better but I take your point.:e4e:

Paulos

It might be temporarily useful in terms of venting or getting the worst of your emotions out of the way. Sustained hatred is pointless, unhealthy, and destructive, usually for the practitioner more than anybody. Can't think of much good that could come from constant hatred. That's using the dark side of the force, ya know?

"Hate is never conquered by hate. Hate is conquered by love. This is an eternal law. Many do not realize that we must all come to an end here; but those who do realize this, end their quarrels at once." --Buddha

(Sry for the double post.)

warren clark

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 18th, 2011 09:12 AM

toldailytopic: Is it ever OK to hate?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

I wouldn't say it is "okay" to hate.
i think it is a natural feeling of intense dislike.
It what we do when we "hate".
If we act out negatively (like killing or getting even), then it is not "okay".

elohiym

Buddha hated hate it seems.

John Mortimer

God does not hate - so why should I want to hate? It obviously won't do me or my fellow beings any good.

Hate is ultimately caused by fear. Perfect love casts out all fear. God is perfect Love, thus God knows no fear and thus God does not hate. It is better for me to look to God rather than become fascinated with the dissonance of lower human emotions.

Tico

God does not hate - so why should I want to hate? It obviously won't do me or my fellow beings any good.

Hate is ultimately caused by fear. Perfect love casts out all fear. God is perfect Love, thus God knows no fear and thus God does not hate. It is better for me to look to God rather than become fascinated with the dissonance of lower human emotions.

Psalm 5:5. Psalm 11:5. What does God fear?

Granite

Hall of Fame
I'd also question anyone who goes to any great lengths to justify hatred. At that point, who are you kidding?:think:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
"You have heard it said, 'Love your neighbor, and hate your enemy.' But I tell you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you."

Jesus' words > OT.

The Old Testament represents a flawed understanding of the nature of God which Christ has since corrected.

God does not change, but human understanding does.

Thus God is given credit in the OT for words and actions which the Father seen in the Son does not by his nature say and do.

Example: The ancient understanding gave God credit for ordering the Israelites to kill every man, woman, and child in Canaan.
This CANNOT BE the God who wishes that none should perish, just using plain logic.

God does not hate.
Men hate and say it is really God who is hating.
Thus God can be said to hate anything any individual person hates, regardless of the inherent contradiction to His nature.

Trying to draw connections between the version of God seen by the ancient Hebrews and the God seen in Christ is a huge factor in alienating atheists and others who are genuinely seeking truth, but rational thought gets in their way.

So to answer the OP:
It is NEVER moral, right, Godly, Christlike to hate a person.
Hatred is a poison which never affects its target yet slowly kills its wielder.

:up:

Quincy

You guys might not hate, but you know hate. Even if you keep it to yourselves, :chuckle: . There are NO jedi!!! :reals:

Status
Not open for further replies.