toldailytopic: Is belief in the trinity necessary for salvation?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
One can also affirm the existence of God and not be saved.

True dat...most non-Christian religions or nominal 'believers'. Mental assent to God's existence is different than relationship with Him or trust in the person and work of the Lord Jesus Christ.:thumb:

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Mental assent to facts (head) vs heart and will trust in Him relationally. Been there, done that, before I was born again.

:idunno: I'm not sure what your saying here GR but, what you believe is paramount. To simply to admit God exists is not a saving faith for the reason I posted. What God or god do you believe in seems to be the more important question.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
:idunno: I'm not sure what your saying here GR but, what you believe is paramount. To simply to admit God exists is not a saving faith for the reason I posted. What God or god do you believe in seems to be the more important question.

I fully agree with this vs Allah, etc., bit the identity of Jesus is the issue. We trust the triune God, but most are fully saved long before they understand this concept.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
I fully agree with this vs Allah, etc., bit the identity of Jesus is the issue. We trust the triune God, but most are fully saved long before they understand this concept.

I see what you are saying GR, the understanding of the trinity concept may not be a requirement for salvation but, surely the knowledge that Jesus is God, is the issue.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I see what you are saying GR, the understanding of the trinity concept may not be a requirement for salvation but, surely the knowledge that Jesus is God, is the issue.

Yes, salvation is in the name of Jesus vs Buddha, Mohammad, etc., God with a face. It is not explicitly in the name of the trinity, though trusting Jesus will result in faith in the Father/Spirit.

eameece

The person who was banned had it right; learn to live according to the truth, follow the commandments; at least according to Jesus. whosoever hearest these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock Matthew 7:24
And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand Matthew 7:26

And the greatest commandment is love. Matthew 22:37-40

Faith is the evidence of things unseen. Hebrews 11:1
It is not belief in doctrines and dogmas.

It is too bad that such a wonderful, beautiful and powerful thing as Christianity has been debased as it has into arguments, excuses for hatreds, and silly exhortations to believe things, instead of going by the truth and the evidence.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Atheists can love and Christians can hate. We do need a minimum of doctrinal truth, but not infallibility. Trusting a false, non-existent, counterfeit God/Christ/gospel is worthless and cannot save.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Atheists can love and Christians can hate. We do need a minimum of doctrinal truth, but not infallibility. Trusting a false, non-existent, counterfeit God/Christ/gospel is worthless and cannot save.

1Jn 4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

A loving atheist should be saved before a hateful Christian.

The right theology doesn't save. God saves. And I don't believe God is going to give us a quiz.

Drake Shelton

The issue is the definition of belief or faith. If faith is not mental assent to propositions it is then qualified by its psychological state. That is Neoplatonism and grossly Roman Catholic. Yes the Trinity is required for salvation precisely because salvation is intellectual.

The Demons in the book of James believe there is one God, that does not mean they believe Chalcedonian orthodoxy.

elohiym

The Bible says, These three are one. That's fine with me!!

The Bible doesn't actually say that because part of verse 1Jn 5:7 and all of 1Jn 5:8 is not found in any ancient Greek manuscripts, proving the author of the first epistle of John didn't write, "These three are one." You are unfortunately relying on verse that does not stand up to textual criticism.

You work out your own interpretation and abide with it...

I'll stick with what is actually written under inspiration, thank you.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
My rejection of the trinity doctrine is a rejection of a doctrine of men, entirely superfluous to the gospel, that distorts the unity of God and attempts to limit Him, and implicitly attributes to Him three minds and three spirits.

This is one of my issues as well. Under some conceptions of the trinity, I don't see how tritheism or polytheism can be avoided.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
The Bible doesn't actually say that because part of verse 1Jn 5:7 and all of 1Jn 5:8 is not found in any ancient Greek manuscripts, proving the author of the first epistle of John didn't write, "These three are one." You are unfortunately relying on verse that does not stand up to textual criticism.

I'll stick with what is actually written under inspiration, thank you.

Well, genius that you're not, you're not in a position (believe me) to dictate what verses in Scripture are supposed to be there and which are not. It's better you shut down your desktop than start removing Scripture from the Bible and calling them "uninspired" Who do you think you are? whoever it is, I wouldn't trust you to tell me the world wasn't flat!!!!!!!!

You're disgusting and ignorant!!!!

elohiym

Well, genius that you're not, you're not in a position (believe me) to dictate what verses in Scripture are supposed to be there and which are not. It's better you shut down your desktop than start removing Scripture from the Bible and calling them "uninspired" Who do you think you are? whoever it is, I wouldn't trust you to tell me the world wasn't flat!!!!!!!!

You're disgusting and ignorant!!!!

Why, when you treat people like this, do you whine about it when you see others do it? Which is the real you, the one I'm seeing here or the one who claims A Soft Word Turns Away Wrath, and starts a thread on The Fine Art of Pleasantry? Aren't you the one who asked, "Why are there so many angry people on TOL??" Wasn't it you who asked, "Why do people jump to conclusions before all the facts are established?" You may have deleted much of what you said in those threads, but your conduct here is what you were railing against.

For your information, what I state is printed in the margin of my Ryrie Study Bible (1994 Expanded Edition). I'm not making it up. You can easily verify that what I'm saying regarding the additions to 1Jn 5:7-8 is true and acknowledged by scholars. The portion you quoted is not in any ancient manuscript; it was not written by the inspired author of John's first epistle.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Why, when you treat people like this, do you whine about it when you see others do it?

For your information, what I state is printed in the margin of my Ryrie Study Bible (Expanded edition). I'm not making it up. You can easily verify that what I'm saying regarding the additions to 1Jn 5:7-8 is true and acknowledged by scholars. The portion you quoted is not in any ancient manuscript; it was not written by the inspired author of John's first epistle.

Just because you read a commentary doesn't make something true...Believe what you will....