toldailytopic: In vitro fertilisation: is it wrong?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 1st, 2012 10:56 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Granite

Hall of Fame
No, of course not. This is an invaluable service to parents who can't conceive any other way.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes, given that most, if not all, forms of IVF involve starting multiple "cell lines" prior to choosing viable ones to save/implant. Thus given that any process that destroys fertilized ova, or a zygote or a blastocyst would be akin to murder of a human life.

No, if and only if the couple chooses to implant them all.

See also:
http://carm.org/what-does-bible-say-about-artificial-insemination

AMR

Last edited:
Yes, given that most, if not all, forms of IVF involve starting multiple "cell lines" prior to choosing viable ones to save/implant. Thus given that any process that destroys fertilized ova, or a zygote or a blastocyst would be akin to murder of a human life.

No, if and only if the couple chooses to implant them all.

See also:
http://carm.org/what-does-bible-say-about-artificial-insemination

AMR

show me where in the whole bible, where in the whole of human history, is murder shown to have happened within the confines of a petri dish. I know there are several verses were it actually says 'it would be better if this man died in the womb or was unborn' but I never read anything about the goings on of petri dishes.

People who worry that murder is happening within a petri dish, and that people may go to hell because of what does or does not happen within this petri dish, or they should go to prison because of what happens in a petri dish, - I find it hard to believe these people have actually read some of the less subtle bible verses regarding the unborn and even babies. I don't even want to post them because they are disgusting.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes, given that most, if not all, forms of IVF involve starting multiple "cell lines" prior to choosing viable ones to save/implant.

It that is how it happens, then that is wrong. Exodus 21 prohibits the killing of the unborn.

Sum1sGruj

BANNED
Banned

Yes. If a married couple cannot have a baby, they should instead adopt. There is no shortage of children without parents, and vitro fertilization is just a discouragement to adopting those already alive and in need.

What it is, is biblical-grade vanity and all Christians should unanimously agree with the above. There really is no loophole, it is a textbook immorality.

PureX

I don't think we should be creating potential human beings, and then destroying them, deliberately, in any medical or scientific process.

I also believe people should get over their obsession with having to have their own biological children, and become more willing to adopt.

Granite

Hall of Fame

Yes. If a married couple cannot have a baby, they should instead adopt. There is no shortage of children without parents, and vitro fertilization is just a discouragement to adopting those already alive and in need.

What it is, is biblical-grade vanity and all Christians should unanimously agree with the above. There really is no loophole, it is a textbook immorality.

Ah-ha, because you say so and know better than we plebs. Glad you're here to tell us these things.

Sum1sGruj

BANNED
Banned
Ah-ha, because you say so and know better than we plebs. Glad you're here to tell us these things.

Atheists should think the same as well. Why make a baby on a platter when there are children the world over in need of families?

Secularists are just ignorant, that's all, wanting to do as they please instead of doing what is good for others- then they blame everything else when society worsens. That's precisely why the Bible calls you all fools.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Why make a baby on a platter when there are children the world over in need of families?

I understand your perspective, but that's simply not your decision to make. We're talking about one of the most personal choices a couple can deal with; it's arrogant and presumptuous to deride their choice just because they didn't adopt.

You're kind of a pompous stuffed shirt, is all.

Sum1sGruj

BANNED
Banned
I understand your perspective, but that's simply not your decision to make. We're talking about one of the most personal choices a couple can deal with; it's arrogant and presumptuous to deride their choice just because they didn't adopt.

You're just mad because I pointed out a perfect reason why it should be deemed immoral, that's all :thumb:

PureX

But the OP only asked if it was wrong, not if it should be illegal. You're jumping the gun, here, a bit. Lots of things are wrong, but are not illegal.